Why I am watching/reading far less of ESPN these days

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
A lot has been said over the past couple of years about the loss of revenue by ESPN. Some think the cable-cutting phenomenon is to blame, while others think their increasingly political lean is the culprit. This article succinctly puts it together for me, at least. Now, I have no idea who this writer is or what this website is. This was linked on Twitter, and that's how I came across it. However, I think the guy nailed it. This is not an article about the loss of revenue of ESPN. I'm only saying that this article's topic is the exact reason I only watch live sports on that network, and why I almost never read articles from its website or the many others out there.

http://theweek.com/articles/680886/arrogant-thinking-liberal-sports-writers

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
My problem with their website is that the only articles I want to read are "insider" and that annoys me. So, I skip their site altogether. I tend to go to cbssports.com for my online searches

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We've become a society that is completely obsessed with politics. I maybe wrong but I don't think it's always been this way. Or it may have been but the technology (the internet) that provides us with the ability for constant communication with other people and 24 hour news stations didn't exist "back then" so people had no other choice but to go do and think about other things. Where as now people aren't getting unplugged/stepping away from it. They are connected to it 24/7 and it has become the prism through which they view everything in life.

For me, when I watch sports I want to unplug from politics and all the other junk of everyday life. But ESPN and other sports networks simply refuse to provide that type of entertainment for me. Everything has to be viewed through some form of politics. Whether it be race, social justice this or that, the current president etc. I'm sick of it. Which is why my viewing of any sportsnetwork has been reduced by about 70% over the last few years. I don't watch anywhere near the sports shows I used. Not even close. I can't tell you how many people just in my little world who have expressed the same thing to me. They have either cut waaaay back on watching sports entertainment shows (other than the actual games) or they've cut it out completely.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I don't read ESPN because

1) their website format sucks, don't take 1/3 to half of my screen for score bars, if I want scores I'll find them. If I want to read an article I want the whole screen

2) most of their info is late, spend time in the right places on the web and you learn much before ESPN does, often their reporting just tells us what we already know

3) too much trying to be edgy for edginess sake

4) I don't need or want to know their politics

I don't watch espn, outside of live games because

1) what used to be fun 1-2 hour shows now drag on all morning, looking at you college gameday

2) same as 2 above

3) same as 3 above

4) don't care about the human interest crap stories. Don't care that the long snapper from east popcorn u overcame dyslexia, etc

5) too much of the E of espn, don't care who Katy Perry pics for a game or some country singer, and don't want to hear their new song. If I wanted to listen to crap i'd turn on CMTv or MTV (assuming they still play music I have no idea)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Bamabuzzard, I do not think we were always this obsessed. I think you are correct that the 24/7 news networks and now social media are to blame. It's in your face immediately once you look at an electronic device.

I think it's unfortunate that just like MTV is no longer about music, and the History Channel is no longer about history, ESPN is becoming less and less about sports (or entertainment, for that matter).

If it were not for the actual games, I would never watch it. And as the politics continue to bleed onto the field/court, I'll become less interested in watching even the games.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I don't read ESPN because

1) their website format sucks, don't take 1/3 to half of my screen for score bars, if I want scores I'll find them. If I want to read an article I want the whole screen

2) most of their info is late, spend time in the right places on the web and you learn much before ESPN does, often their reporting just tells us what we already know

3) too much trying to be edgy for edginess sake

4) I don't need or want to know their politics

I don't watch espn, outside of live games because

1) what used to be fun 1-2 hour shows now drag on all morning, looking at you college gameday

2) same as 2 above

3) same as 3 above

4) don't care about the human interest crap stories. Don't care that the long snapper from east popcorn u overcame dyslexia, etc

5) too much of the E of espn, don't care who Katy Perry pics for a game or some country singer, and don't want to hear their new song. If I wanted to listen to crap i'd turn on CMTv or MTV (assuming they still play music I have no idea)
LOL! Nailed it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.