News Article: FL Man Arrested for Target Bomb Plot

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Saw this mentioned on Last Week Tonight and was only surprised that it hadn't already been posted here.

Florida man arrested in plot to get rich by bombing Target stores

Mark Barnett had what he thought was a great get-rich-quick scheme involving homemade bombs, Target superstores, and well-timed trades on the stock market.

It did not go according to plan.

Barnett, a 48-year-old from Ocala, Florida, is accused of possession of a destructive device affecting commerce, the US Attorney's Office in the Middle District of Florida said in a statement Thursday.

Barnett allegedly built 10 explosive devices and disguised them as food-item boxes, and he delivered those boxes to an unnamed person to place them in Target stores along the East Coast, according to a federal criminal complaint.

The plan, Barnett told that person, was to set off the bombs in Target stores in Florida, Virginia, and New York, sending the company's stock value down. Barnett would then buy Target stock cheaply, and sit and wait as the stock rebounded, which he referred to as "easy money," according to the criminal complaint.
Now he'll be getting to make that easy 7 cents an hour money.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I don't think I saw that posted on the other board I visit and get my "rich" material from.

SMH...some people are just complete idiots. Thank goodness no one was actually hurt because of his greed & stupidity.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
I've got to wonder how much money he was sitting on to invest in Target stock if the value did actually plummet.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
While the overall concept - cause a significant stock price drop, buy low, wait, and sell high - is at least somewhat sound, the implementation was way off.

First, he involved someone else who, obviously, had less to lose than he did.
Second, you probably want to target the supply chain rather than the retail stores for the best efficiency.
Finally, you want it to look like something that is Target's fault as opposed to some random act by a local nut-job.

If I were going to do something like this - which I wouldn't - the first thing I'd do is grow a nice, large batch of E.coli or some other similar, nasty but rarely fatal bug. Next, I'd get a good fake ID. Then, I'd get a part time job using that fake ID as a graveyard shift gopher - the kind of job that's easy to get because it doesn't pay much, there's high turnover, and they'll hire just about anyone without digging too deeply into their employment history - at one of their regional distribution centers. Finally - after figuring out when, where, and how to best deploy the bug out of sight from prying eyes and security cameras - I'd inject small amounts of the bug into various batches of produce, refrigerated, and frozen goods.

It would probably take longer to have a significant effect on stock prices but it would have the added benefit of scaring away customers nationwide instead of just one area.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
While the overall concept - cause a significant stock price drop, buy low, wait, and sell high - is at least somewhat sound, the implementation was way off.

Second, you probably want to target the supply chain rather than the retail stores for the best efficiency.
Finally, you want it to look like something that is Target's fault as opposed to some random act by a local nut-job.

If I were going to do something like this - which I wouldn't - the first thing I'd do is grow a nice, large batch of E.coli or some other similar, nasty but rarely fatal bug. Next, I'd get a good fake ID. Then, I'd get a part time job using that fake ID as a graveyard shift gopher - the kind of job that's easy to get because it doesn't pay much, there's high turnover, and they'll hire just about anyone without digging too deeply into their employment history - at one of their regional distribution centers. Finally - after figuring out when, where, and how to best deploy the bug out of sight from prying eyes and security cameras - I'd inject small amounts of the bug into various batches of produce, refrigerated, and frozen goods.

It would probably take longer to have a significant effect on stock prices but it would have the added benefit of scaring away customers nationwide instead of just one area.
You seem to have put a lot of thought into this for someone who says they wouldn't do it.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

Goldfinger, is that you??

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Is your name Jack? And do you live in a Box? (too soon?)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wonder if the guy who poisoned the Tylenol years ago did it to make money buying their stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.