Who Will Have Breakout Season For Alabama And Why?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm going to go with

Offense:
Trevon Diggs (at WR)
possibly Alex Leatherwood on the OL

Defense:
Shyheim Carter at Corner
Isaiah Buggs DL
Rashaan Evans LB
The OL is a mystery because If I heard correctly, Should Williams slides to LT, LG would be Pier, C Bozeman, RG is open for spot, and Baker at RT. Leatherwood isn't a shoo in, but I wonder if he'll play at RG or RT...

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The OL is a mystery because If I heard correctly, Should Williams slides to LT, LG would be Pier, C Bozeman, RG is open for spot, and Baker at RT. Leatherwood isn't a shoo in, but I wonder if he'll play at RG or RT...
Its assumed by fans that Williams will slide to LT, no reason to think otherwise until we know different.
assume Pier is set at LG and Bozeman at C
Looking at film Elliot Baker looks like a road grader in the run game but I'm conerned about his footwork for pass blocking, I'm not an expert so we will see if he can hold down the RT spot.
Just going on eyeball reports they suggest Leatherwood is a beast and it's been stated in the media he could play guard or tackle.

We are totally washing Lester Cotton under the bus but how often have we seen someone come out fighting after having a rough season. The arrest is a problem but if this is a first offense it won't effect his ability to compete for playing time.

There's also a boat load of older players who could surprise us, Matt Womack, Dallas Warmack, Richie Petitbon, JC Hassenauer, Scott Lashley, it's going to be fun to watch all this play out.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Its assumed by fans that Williams will slide to LT, no reason to think otherwise until we know different.
assume Pier is set at LG and Bozeman at C
Looking at film Elliot Baker looks like a road grader in the run game but I'm conerned about his footwork for pass blocking, I'm not an expert so we will see if he can hold down the RT spot.
Just going on eyeball reports they suggest Leatherwood is a beast and it's been stated in the media he could play guard or tackle.

We are totally washing Lester Cotton under the bus but how often have we seen someone come out fighting after having a rough season. The arrest is a problem but if this is a first offense it won't effect his ability to compete for playing time.

There's also a boat load of older players who could surprise us, Matt Womack, Dallas Warmack, Richie Petitbon, JC Hassenauer, Scott Lashley, it's going to be fun to watch all this play out.
The diminished abilities of Lester Cotton are not a foregone conclusion. Didn't have the best season but can likely learn a lot. I'd say he's capable as it stands right now with the ability to be very good.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban said last year they were wrong about Lester being able to play guard. Said he's a natural tackle and needs to play there. Would suspect Lester fights for one of the tackle spots but doesn't go near either guard spot unless we have an emergency.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Saban said last year they were wrong about Lester being able to play guard. Said he's a natural tackle and needs to play there. Would suspect Lester fights for one of the tackle spots but doesn't go near either guard spot unless we have an emergency.
What is your projection for the O-line roster this year?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Calvin Ridley, similar to Cooper his Jr. year.

Ridley had a quiet sophomore year as did Cooper (though Cooper's was due to injury). Cooper came back and was the best receiver in the country. I don't think Ridley will break records the same way Cooper did, but I think he'll come back and play some of the best football of his career.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Sadly, I'm thinking Jacobs is a prime transfer candidate. Our RB situation is starting to get congested again. So it wont shock me if Jacobs transfers at some point. If not him, then someone at the RB spot will.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I have to agree on Mack Wilson and Rashaad Evans. I also have a sneaky suspicion that Dylan Moses (early enrollee) will make a positive impact in 2017.
I can already see him lighting guys up on ST, that's for sure.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Offense: Forristal or Diggs. hoping it's someone who catches the ball as that will mean Hurts passing has improved to help us increase the offensive balance.

Defense: Hand is a good pick for sure. Evans is another guy with a lot of hype. I'm really optimistic about Wilson long term, but not sure he'll unseat Evans to get a starting spot. All that said, I'm going to pick Terrell Hall and A Jennings playing OLB as the breakouts.
LOL, you guys got the random bamaman65 dislikes :tongue:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sadly, I'm thinking Jacobs is a prime transfer candidate. Our RB situation is starting to get congested again. So it wont shock me if Jacobs transfers at some point. If not him, then someone at the RB spot will.
How would he be a "prime transfer candidate?"

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
A little off-topic...

I like Damien Harris and sometimes when I watch him run I think I can see him potentially developing into a star (if there wasn't so much talent around him of course) but it always feels like I have seen his style before. Reading some of your posts about the backfield and thinking back on what we saw last season, I just now realized who he reminds me of...Ken Darby!

Darby has always been one of my favorites. I think I have a soft spot for the guys who helped carry us thru the Shula years. Before he had the groin injury, he was nearly unstoppable. D. Harris' running style reminds me of Darby.

And Jacobs does remind me a lot of Ingram too!

Anyway, carry on...

Last edited:

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
I think Emmons falls into this category not Jacobs. Last seasons rotation was Harris/Scarbrough 1A/1B and Jacobs #2. That's no small feat for a true freshman that didn't go through spring practice. I love Jacobs running style and think he brings a different dynamic to the backfield. I was yelling at the TV to give him more carries against Clemson. I think he will be an integral part of our offense this season ahead of N. Harris.

Another guy many may have forgot about due to his rumored transfer back in January is Robert Foster. I haven't seen anything related to a final decision from him, but if he returns he is a guy that brings back a ton of experience in the program and untapped potential. If he returns, I hope that we finally see him have the kind of season we've been waiting on and fills the void left by Stewart.

On D, I think most of you guys are spot on with Evans/Wilson/Davis/Moses having big seasons. I think Moses will be the special teams star we have become accustomed to seeing in our young stud LBs. I also think we will see/rely on big breakout seasons from Hand, Buggs, Frazier, Jennings, Miller, Hall,& Q. Williams. Along with that I expect quality minutes from R. Davis and the freshmen studs Ray and Mathis. Hopefully this season we see a return of depth and rotation on the defensive line without any drop off between the 1s and 2s.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
1. Jacobs isn't going anywhere for a while.
2. Bo will leave after this upcoming season, so Jacob and N. Harris/ B. Robinson will have plenty of time to battle for no. 2 and no. 3 spot.
3. Emmons is most likely the candidate if his foot doesn't heal right.
4. our RB roster isn't congested.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
A little off-topic...

I like Damien Harris and sometimes when I watch him run I think I can see him potentially developing into a star (if there wasn't so much talent around him of course) but it always feels like I have seen his style before. Reading some of your posts about the backfield and thinking back on what we saw last season, I just now realized who he reminds me of...Ken Darby!

Darby has always been one of my favorites. I think I have a soft spot for the guys who helped carry us thru the Shula years. Before he had the groin injury, he was nearly unstoppable. D. Harris' running style reminds me of Darby.

And Jacobs does remind me a lot of Ingram too!

Anyway, carry on...
I'm glad he doesn't get Darby blocking!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm glad he doesn't get Darby blocking!
Yep...I've blocked most of it out of my mind...unfortunately it was mostly bad but I'm struggling to even remember a few good runs. 9 times out of 10 he was hit two yards in the backfield. Whatever yardage the kid got, it was mostly self-generated by dodging tackles in the backfield.

For what it's worth...just a guess...but Darby would probably be last on our depth chart if he was at UA right now. Talent level has gone way up since those years!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.