Who Will Have Breakout Season For Alabama And Why?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Choosing from players who are young, new or have just been buried in the rotation due to the mammoth levels of talent on our roster, who do you expect to have breakout seasons this year? Also try to list WHY you think they will have big years.

OFFENSE: I expect Joshua Jacobs to build on his success from last year and really tear it up. He doesn't need much space, he has excellent power and balance and his vision was good on the zones I saw him run. With a year of experience and a little more technique in pass-pro I think he could be our most consistent performer at tailback. Also Cam Sims. Have glimpsed flashes of excellent playmaking if he can stay healthy and play with consistency. With so many threats in the backfield it doesn't hurt to have a 6'3 guy to balance everything out.
DARK HORSE: Miller Forristal. He showed he could be a receiving threat last year and with Jalen's continued development as well as Daboll's background working with tight-ends I expect Forristall to get more targets than perhaps O.J. did.

DEFENSE: I'd say Dashawn Hand first of all. Athletically, he may be the freakiest guy we've had on defense the last 2 years. He's learned from some of the most talented and skilled D-lineman to ever come through the University of Alabama (what a statement!) and he has shown glimpses of promise when on the field. BONUS, other lineman say he is one to watch. Anthony Averett became one of my favorite players last season. A perennial backup pressed into duty when Maurice Smith bailed for Georgia, at the time I don't think many of us had high hopes for a guy who was basically the backup to a backup. Well he really showed up in a way that I didn't expect. He has speed to counter every receiving threat he's likely to see, good length and surprising physicality for a DB with a thinner frame. If he picks up where he left off last season, he's gonna get noticed.
DARK HORSES: Mack Wilson & Christian Miller. We seem to be so unbelievably loaded at linebacker that it's hard to know who's gonna pop off next. Wilson has shown a nose for the ball on special teams, giving me visions of Reuben Foster from his time there in 2014. He's also showed versatility by lining up on offense. He seems like an instinctual player who gets the game and just can't be kept off the field. Provided he can make all the reads he needs to, I expect Mack to run some people over next to Shaun Dion Hamilton. Christian Miller was mostly seen in mop-up duty last season but the guy is a freak like Tim Williams. Other players have pointed to him as a guy to look out for. He's had time to mature and has seemed to grow as time has gone on. I think his athleticism and motor win him a lot of battles this year as a featured pass-rusher.

These are some of my opinions on who I think will have breakout seasons this year. Who are YOUR picks and why?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Defense: Gotta agree about Mack Wilson...he's the next human missile program

Offense: A UA qb that develops as a passer. Hopefully it's Jalen adding a strong downfield passing threat to his ability to run. If this happens...he'll be a early Heisman favorite.

I also thing Najee Harris will likely get some looks early...like many of our other great backs. With the the injuries and questions about Bo's health/consistency, all the young backs have a great opportunity. I also agree with your assessment about Jacobs, who reminds me a little of Mark Ingram with his great vision.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't think any of the RBs will have a breakout season unless the injury bug strikes. We just have to much depth there for 1 guy to get the majority of snaps. I like Josh Jacobs but, if everyone is healthy, he is at best 3rd on the RB depth chart. Bo>D Harris>N Harris/Jacobs..

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I don't think any of the RBs will have a breakout season unless the injury bug strikes. We just have to much depth there for 1 guy to get the majority of snaps. I like Josh Jacobs but, if everyone is healthy, he is at best 3rd on the RB depth chart. Bo>D Harris>N Harris/Jacobs..
You forgot BJ Emmons in this lineup. :tongue:
My theory is, and I pray this doesn't happen but it's just the feeling I get, that Bo will not stay healthy, Najee will get looks like Jacobs did but will still be fielding a learning curve and that will cause Harris and Jacobs to split reps....and I think Jacobs scan be more consistent than Harris. Just a hunch. I agree though that things will need to look different offensively for a back to shine. Hurts rushed for 954 yards all by himself - Bo in limited showing rushed for over 800, though his average gain was lowest among running backs it's likely due to his short yardage situations and early season performance. I think where Jacobs could shine is as a receiving threat out of the backfield. He had the most out of all the current RB's.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I hope that it is Bo on offense, because that probably means another playoff appearance.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You forgot BJ Emmons in this lineup. :tongue:
My theory is, and I pray this doesn't happen but it's just the feeling I get, that Bo will not stay healthy, Najee will get looks like Jacobs did but will still be fielding a learning curve and that will cause Harris and Jacobs to split reps....and I think Jacobs scan be more consistent than Harris. Just a hunch. I agree though that things will need to look different offensively for a back to shine. Hurts rushed for 954 yards all by himself - Bo in limited showing rushed for over 800, though his average gain was lowest among running backs it's likely due to his short yardage situations and early season performance. I think where Jacobs could shine is as a receiving threat out of the backfield. He had the most out of all the current RB's.
Agree with all that. I think D Harris or Jacobs would put up monster numbers if they got 25-30 touches per game. Just don't see that happening with our RB depth plus Hurts running ability. IRT BJ Emmons I thought he just had a second surgery. I doubt he'll be much of a factor this year..

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I have to agree on Mack Wilson and Rashaad Evans. I also have a sneaky suspicion that Dylan Moses (early enrollee) will make a positive impact in 2017.

Would like to add Shaun Dion Hamilton, assuming he is back to full strength following his knee surgery.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Honestly, I'm not going to limit it to just one player.
Offense: I'll have to say This is a veteran group and with Hurts potential improvement from year 1 to year 2, anyone can blow up big. I’m thinking It's going to be Hurts, Sims, Ridley and Simmons. We'll see plenty of freshmen stepping it up at the receiver spots. At TE: Hentges and Forristal have been doing their jobs for a minute, so whatever they do on the field this fall will be probably the same, but expect them to get few catches their way. So I don't consider them having a breakout year even through we know what they are capable of.

Defense: I'm going to say Quinnen Williams. There was lot of noise about him throughout the year and Definitely expect him to contribute in a big way.

Anthony Averett was getting lot of noises toward the end of the year and so I think he'll continue to do the same what he always do: Shut down the corner. I’m lending toward Knott, Carter, Mayden, Robinson and Brown to have an opportunity to step it up big time this spring, summer and fall to where I think they will be a huge contributor to the team in the fall.

I agree on Mack Wilson and Miller as Darkhouse candidate. Let's not forget about Ben Davis as well.

Now, ever year it's always a freshman who makes huge noise .... and I think this is the year when we'll see this class competing hard and push upperclassmen and make lot of noise in a big way.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I have to agree on Mack Wilson and Rashaad Evans. I also have a sneaky suspicion that Dylan Moses (early enrollee) will make a positive impact in 2017.
This is where it gets hazy for me. We are so unbelievably loaded at linebacker. We seriously have enough talent to spread our linebacking corps out over 3-4 other SEC schools and still have a formidable group of our own. Many of us may have also forgotten about Ben Davis, one of last years 5* linebackers who Redshirted this year and played exclusively on scout team. He'll e in the hunt as well. So between Rashaan Evans, Mack Wilson, Ben Davis and Dylan Moses (not including the other linebackers we signed these season) it's tough to project where the chips will fall. Last season I thought Ben Davis was a shoe-in for early playing time and that Mack Wilson would redshirt since he had pre-season surgery, but the tables were flipped.

This season, however, I've seen enough of Mack Wilson to think he has the best chance of staying on the field, and if Shaun Dion Hamilton returns well from injury that really limits the possibilities. Will be curious to hear the buzz on Dylan Moses from spring practice.

Also, has anyone heard how Ben Davis did on scout team this season? I never saw anything about his development.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Offense: Forristal or Diggs. hoping it's someone who catches the ball as that will mean Hurts passing has improved to help us increase the offensive balance.

Defense: Hand is a good pick for sure. Evans is another guy with a lot of hype. I'm really optimistic about Wilson long term, but not sure he'll unseat Evans to get a starting spot. All that said, I'm going to pick Terrell Hall and A Jennings playing OLB as the breakouts.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Hamilton and Evans a lock at LB. Evans did well when Hamilton went down. Evans just have to continue to show progress at where he is to keep his spot. Another option for evans where he'll be moving around to show he can play ILB, OLB and MLB at times.... That creates new opportunity for Wilson, Mosley, Holcombe, Davis and others.

So next month practice, we probably will watch the LB spots and see how they work people out. I expect few to get cross trained at several positions. Same for CB/Safety.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm going to make a late addition and say Keith Holcombe could have a breakout year. High motor, always in the right place at the right time. Maybe a bit of a limited physical ceiling but great technique to compensate. If linebacker weren't so crowded he'd be an obvious choice but as it is...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
This is where it gets hazy for me. We are so unbelievably loaded at linebacker. We seriously have enough talent to spread our linebacking corps out over 3-4 other SEC schools and still have a formidable group of our own. Many of us may have also forgotten about Ben Davis, one of last years 5* linebackers who Redshirted this year and played exclusively on scout team. He'll e in the hunt as well. So between Rashaan Evans, Mack Wilson, Ben Davis and Dylan Moses (not including the other linebackers we signed these season) it's tough to project where the chips will fall. Last season I thought Ben Davis was a shoe-in for early playing time and that Mack Wilson would redshirt since he had pre-season surgery, but the tables were flipped.

This season, however, I've seen enough of Mack Wilson to think he has the best chance of staying on the field, and if Shaun Dion Hamilton returns well from injury that really limits the possibilities. Will be curious to hear the buzz on Dylan Moses from spring practice.

Also, has anyone heard how Ben Davis did on scout team this season? I never saw anything about his development.
Agree with your thoughts on the LB competition. Assuming SDH is healthy there's ONE spot for Evans, Wilson, Davis and Moses to compete for. That's FOUR 5 star players trying to get one spot and doesn't even account for all the high 4 stars that could be in the mix as well. It's pretty likely we see Wilson, Davis and Moses getting spot duty or perhaps having some roles in packages so they can have a bit more of a role.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Agree with your thoughts on the LB competition. Assuming SDH is healthy there's ONE spot for Evans, Wilson, Davis and Moses to compete for. That's FOUR 5 star players trying to get one spot and doesn't even account for all the high 4 stars that could be in the mix as well. It's pretty likely we see Wilson, Davis and Moses getting spot duty or perhaps having some roles in packages so they can have a bit more of a role.
Also, think about who will take over in 2018 and 2019.... So it's crucial that they get plenty of playing time behind Evans and Hamilton to develop for next year. That's why You'll see two new guys next year at LBs... That's scary and I think we'll see few rotations just to get those guys playing time. I can see Wilson/Moses/Davis at LB.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Also, think about who will take over in 2018 and 2019.... So it's crucial that they get plenty of playing time behind Evans and Hamilton to develop for next year. That's why You'll see two new guys next year at LBs... That's scary and I think we'll see few rotations just to get those guys playing time. I can see Wilson/Moses/Davis at LB.
True - and even in 2018, it will be those three guys competing for two spots along with Holcombe, Benton and McMillon.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.