Some of these pro athletes say some of the dumbest things.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not sure if anyone saw last weeks comments by Draymond Green regarding the Charles Oakley and Knicks owner situation. Green reaches way back into history and makes an attempt to connect it with slavery.

Now we've got Sammy Sosa comparing his "persecution" to Jesus Christ's (92tide should be all over this one) :biggrin2:
All of it made Sosa feel persecuted.

"A lot of people say so many things, but I'm telling you -- they have nothing on me," Sosa said. "I'm not going to go out there begging, because they have no case. They had the Mitchell report trying to find something, but they had nothing on Mr. Sosa."

He added: "Chuck, it's like Jesus Christ when he came to Jerusalem. Everybody thought Jesus Christ was a witch [laughing], and he was our savior. So if they talk s--- about Jesus Christ, what about me? Are you kidding me?"
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18732954/sammy-sosa-maintains-was-clean-open-return-chicago-cubs

It's the same with not just athletes but musicians, movie stars and celebrities in general. They maybe very good at what they do for a living. But in many, many cases when they step out of the realm of their craft. It is revealed they aren't the sharpest knives in the bunch. We could probably put together a thread that would exceed 200 pages of stupid things celebrities and pro athletes have said over the years.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
That makes them no different than most of the general public in that regard
Agreed. But the general public's opinions aren't given the importance and value that our society and media give celebrities and pro athletes either. No matter how many examples we have of comments of this nature. "We" as a society continue to value or hold in importance opinions of pro athletes and celebrities no matter the subject matter.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/49526-the-20-funniest-or-dumbest-athlete-quotes

A few good ones here.

16. New Orleans Saints RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season: "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."

—I suppose if he was stuck on 999 and ripped off 501 yards in the final game, this would make sense. No...it still wouldn’t.

12. Shaquille O'Neal: "I've won at every level, except college and pro."

—Before his Laker days he was really proud of his eight and under title ring.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
It's the same with not just athletes but musicians, movie stars and celebrities in general. They maybe very good at what they do for a living. But in many, many cases when they step out of the realm of their craft. It is revealed they aren't the sharpest knives in the bunch. We could probably put together a thread that would exceed 200 pages of stupid things celebrities and pro athletes have said over the years.
So you are saying I shouldn't vote for Trump because his friend Tom Brady won the Super Bowl?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Agreed. But the general public's opinions aren't given the importance and value that our society and media give celebrities and pro athletes either. No matter how many examples we have of comments of this nature. "We" as a society continue to value or hold in importance opinions of pro athletes and celebrities no matter the subject matter.
That's society's problem, not that of the athlete/celeb offering an opinion. I've been wrestling with this for most of my adult life. For the life of me, I cannot understand why one wouldn't seek their own truth, and not hang onto the words of those who just happen to have a camera in their faces.

We have to do a better job of discerning what information we receive as credible.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not as bad as Kyrie Irving being a flat earther, but still pretty bad.
I think Irving is worse. Someone claiming they are being persecuted like Jesus or treated like a slave is just trolling for attention trying to make themselves more of a victim than they actually are.

Somebody who thinks the earth is flat is just plain stupid.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That's society's problem, not that of the athlete/celeb offering an opinion.

<snip>

We have to do a better job of discerning what information we receive as credible.
Agreed on both counts. That said, an athlete or celebrity that's not an expert (or at least well-versed) in a particular field should keep their opinions to themselves when asked, imo. Just as those listening should roll their eyes, as I do, when an actor or ball player attempts to share their 'wisdom' about most anything not relating to acting or sports.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Agreed on both counts. That said, an athlete or celebrity that's not an expert (or at least well-versed) in a particular field should keep their opinions to themselves when asked, imo. Just as those listening should roll their eyes, as I do, when an actor or ball player attempts to share their 'wisdom' about most anything not relating to acting or sports.
None of us here are experts to the point that the players/coaches are but yet we plaster our opinions on the topic all over this very public message board for the whole world to see.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
None of us here are experts to the point that the players/coaches are but yet we plaster our opinions on the topic all over this very public message board for the whole world to see.
We're also not in a position where we knowingly affect the way people perceive things.

Heck, most here don't even use our real names...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
We're also not in a position where we knowingly affect the way people perceive things.

Heck, most here don't even use our real names...
That goes back to my first point, though. Why do they have influence over our thoughts?

I don't drink Colt 45 because Billy Dee says so (I honestly don't drink it at all, but if I did....). I'd do it because I (on my own volition) want bubble guts and a migraine.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That goes back to my first point, though. Why do they have influence over our thoughts?

I don't drink Colt 45 because Billy Dee says so (I honestly don't drink it at all, but if I did....). I'd do it because I (on my own volition) want bubble guts and a migraine.
Of course, I'm not suggesting otherwise - I said so in my first post.

But a celebrity or athlete knows they have influence over others - maybe not you or me, but over some - so sharing any stupid thought that flows through their head about things which they are ignorant is irresponsible.

I'm not suggesting they be censored, just wish they'd be more reserved.

It takes two to tango.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Of course, I'm not suggesting otherwise - I said so in my first post.

But a celebrity or athlete knows they have influence over others - maybe not you or me, but over some - so sharing any stupid thought that flows through their head about things which they are ignorant is irresponsible.

I'm not suggesting they be censored, just wish they'd be more reserved.

It takes two to tango.
They have a huge impression on kids (grade school through college) who during this time in their lives are VERY impressionable. Then add to that a lot of kids looking up to them do not have a parental presence in their lives. I'm not saying these celebs/pro athletes are responsible for how these kids turnout. But they have some level of social responsibility to them.

Just as the adults in the general population (like you and me) have some degree of social responsibility to act and speak in a way to set a good example for the younger generation. Is it a responsibility I necessarily want? No. But unfortunately I don't have a choice in the matter. How I act and speak matters and has consequences in other peoples' lives.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.