Some of these pro athletes say some of the dumbest things.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I'm not sure if anyone saw last weeks comments by Draymond Green regarding the Charles Oakley and Knicks owner situation. Green reaches way back into history and makes an attempt to connect it with slavery.

Now we've got Sammy Sosa comparing his "persecution" to Jesus Christ's (92tide should be all over this one)
    All of it made Sosa feel persecuted.

"A lot of people say so many things, but I'm telling you -- they have nothing on me," Sosa said. "I'm not going to go out there begging, because they have no case. They had the Mitchell report trying to find something, but they had nothing on Mr. Sosa."

He added: "Chuck, it's like Jesus Christ when he came to Jerusalem. Everybody thought Jesus Christ was a witch [laughing], and he was our savior. So if they talk s--- about Jesus Christ, what about me? Are you kidding me?"
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...n-chicago-cubs

It's the same with not just athletes but musicians, movie stars and celebrities in general. They maybe very good at what they do for a living. But in many, many cases when they step out of the realm of their craft. It is revealed they aren't the sharpest knives in the bunch. We could probably put together a thread that would exceed 200 pages of stupid things celebrities and pro athletes have said over the years.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

That makes them no different than most of the general public in that regard
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

Re: Some of these pro athletes say some of the dumbest things.

Not as bad as Kyrie Irving being a flat earther, but still pretty bad.
    Just a barner.
    Auburn attempted 40 3 pointers while Tennessee only attempted 15. This kills the one seed.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Makes it worse because Kyrie went to Duke. Bet they're proud..
    Last edited by CrimsonForce; February 21st, 2017 at 12:38 PM.

LOL! I just saw that this morning. You're right. Not as bad. LOL!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

That is bizarre

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    That makes them no different than most of the general public in that regard
    Agreed. But the general public's opinions aren't given the importance and value that our society and media give celebrities and pro athletes either. No matter how many examples we have of comments of this nature. "We" as a society continue to value or hold in importance opinions of pro athletes and celebrities no matter the subject matter.

Maybe he was talking about the Holographic Theory of the Universere (WIRED)?

Kyrie, I am trying to help you out here.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...athlete-quotes

A few good ones here.

16. New Orleans Saints RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season: "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."

—I suppose if he was stuck on 999 and ripped off 501 yards in the final game, this would make sense. No...it still wouldn’t.

12. Shaquille O'Neal: "I've won at every level, except college and pro."

—Before his Laker days he was really proud of his eight and under title ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    It's the same with not just athletes but musicians, movie stars and celebrities in general. They maybe very good at what they do for a living. But in many, many cases when they step out of the realm of their craft. It is revealed they aren't the sharpest knives in the bunch. We could probably put together a thread that would exceed 200 pages of stupid things celebrities and pro athletes have said over the years.
    So you are saying I shouldn't vote for Trump because his friend Tom Brady won the Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Agreed. But the general public's opinions aren't given the importance and value that our society and media give celebrities and pro athletes either. No matter how many examples we have of comments of this nature. "We" as a society continue to value or hold in importance opinions of pro athletes and celebrities no matter the subject matter.
    That's society's problem, not that of the athlete/celeb offering an opinion. I've been wrestling with this for most of my adult life. For the life of me, I cannot understand why one wouldn't seek their own truth, and not hang onto the words of those who just happen to have a camera in their faces.

We have to do a better job of discerning what information we receive as credible.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

I think Irving is worse. Someone claiming they are being persecuted like Jesus or treated like a slave is just trolling for attention trying to make themselves more of a victim than they actually are.

Somebody who thinks the earth is flat is just plain stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    That's society's problem, not that of the athlete/celeb offering an opinion.

<snip>

We have to do a better job of discerning what information we receive as credible.
    Agreed on both counts. That said, an athlete or celebrity that's not an expert (or at least well-versed) in a particular field should keep their opinions to themselves when asked, imo. Just as those listening should roll their eyes, as I do, when an actor or ball player attempts to share their 'wisdom' about most anything not relating to acting or sports.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius