Mt. Rushmore of College Coaches

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Yesterday on Finebaum, he had Tony Barnhart on and since it was President's day, they did a take where Tony had his "Mount Rushmore" of college football coaches. Below is the four he choose.

1. Nick Saban
2. Bear Bryant
3. Eddie Robinson
4. Bobby Bowden

Discussion. If you disagree whats your 4?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yesterday on Finebaum, he had Tony Barnhart on and since it was President's day, they did a take where Tony had his "Mount Rushmore" of college football coaches. Below is the four he choose.

1. Nick Saban
2. Bear Bryant
3. Eddie Robinson
4. Bobby Bowden

Discussion. If you disagree whats your 4?
Bobby Bowden? Nah, he only won two NCs - Barry Switzer, Bud Wilkinson, Darrell Royal, Tom Osborne, and Urban Mayer have all won more.

I might even questions Eddie Robinson, as he coached at a lower level.

Ultimately, great coaches are rated by wins, and winning a NC counts a lot.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think Nick Saban and Bear Bryant are both no-brainer choices. But hey we are all going to have some bias there. I personally think there are quite a few other choices for the 3 and 4 slots if you factor in winning %, NC's, and where/what level they coached at during their time. I'll list just 2 for consideration though if we are ONLY going by the quality of on the field accomplishments.

I'm shocked that Tom Osborne isn't in there. 255-49-3 (.836) and 3 NC's. His winning% dwarfs any other D1 coach ever at a major school.

Another name is Woody Hayes (I get WHY he's not) at 238-72-10 (.759) and 5 NC's.

That's 2 guys who's winning% and NC's are more than both Bowden and Eddie Robinson who btw coached at a completely different level (not to completely diminish his accomplishments).... but it's not apples to apples.

Yeah I know Bowden, Paterno (not listed for obvious reasons), and Robinson piled up tons of wins but the first 2 coached 6-7 years longer than CPB with a lower winning % and less titles than He, Osbourne and/or Hayes..... and Robinson coached for 17 years longer than CPB again with a lower winning %.

All-Time Bryant, Saban, Hayes, and Osbourne have the best on the field coaching/results resumes imho. But hey it's a great debate. Robinson and Bowden are definitely better people and ambassadors for the game than Hayes for sure....or Paterno obliviously.

Tom Osborne should be on that list somewhere though I think.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Woody Hayes is in the top 5. He led teams to 5 National Championships during the Bryant era - the heyday of college football.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Woody Hayes is in the top 5. He led teams to 5 National Championships during the Bryant era - the heyday of college football.
I agree. If not for so many of his violent actions/outbursts and off the field comments he's a slam dunk choice for Top 4-5.

If my list is just about on the field accomplishments...... my struggle is who is #3 and #4 between Osborne and Hayes.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think it's Saban, Bryant, Osborne and Switzer.

If you expanded it to top 5 Woody Hayes would probably get the nod.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
LOL.

I just remembered Pat Dye said that he wouldn't take ten Nick Sabans for one Gene Chizik...:biggrin:

This from a guy that lost his pants in a lake and said that Hindsight is 50/50. :biggrin2:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Nick Saban
Paul Bryant
Wallace Wade
Frank Thomas

Gene Stallings and Xen C. Scott are honorable mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
No doubt that Hayes was a great coach and should be in any conversation of top 5-10 coaches. But he only won 3 NCs according to the polls. If we count them any other way since the AP began in 1935, we have an unsortable mess. Coach Bryant's teams were NCs by some selector or another, usually several, 13 seasons at Bama and 1 at Kentucky, but of course we only count 6 of those 14 because one or both of the wire service polls selected them.

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Honestly Urban Meyer is in the mix too. His overall winning percentage is unreal and winning National Titles at two different schools is impressive... Probably needs more longevity but he's definitely top ten.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Honestly Urban Meyer is in the mix too. His overall winning percentage is unreal and winning National Titles at two different schools is impressive... Probably needs more longevity but he's definitely top ten.
If Meyer wins one more, he is there. He has been at the top of the coaching world as long as Saban has been, and the head-to-head wins over this era's best coaches gets him the nod with one more championship - but he needs one more.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I am not a fan of Urban Meyer at all...but the man can coach and recruit with the best ever...

If Meyer wins one more, he is there. He has been at the top of the coaching world as long as Saban has been, and the head-to-head wins over this era's best coaches gets him the nod with one more championship - but he needs one more.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
What about Barry Switzer? Damn fine OU coach. Or Jimmy Johnson? His "U" teams were legendary. So many good coaches.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.