How does Tim Williams translate to the NFL?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Is he a 3-4 stand up OLB? Or can he be a 3 point stance 4-3 DE / edge rusher? Reason I am asking, is because my Cowboys pick at #28 and we sorely need a pass rusher, however, Dallas is a 4-3 Tampa-2 defense. Would he fit in that scheme?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Or a better question: If Tim Williams and Ryan Anderson are both there at #28, who do you pick if you're Dallas?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Ryan Anderson may be the better pro player of the two. Anderson has a bit thicker build and I think that will make him more capable of being an every down player in the NFL. Tim Williams seems like a guy who would have flourished in the heyday of Tampa-2 defense where the DEs almost had no traditional run responsibilities on standard passing downs.

So if I had to pick for Dallas in Loam's scenario, I'd go Ryan Anderson...he's most likely to be an every-down starter and that is what you're looking for in the first round. Teams have been drafting guys who are pretty clear "sub rushers" in the first round lately, so I think Williams will find a home early. Tim Williams just has some questions about his durability against the run in the NFL.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Depends on what he's asked to do. If he is expected to hold up against the run consistently, there could be issues. However, if he is utilized like a Von Miller - go get the QB, plain and simple - then he's a potential game changer.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There have been some pretty "reach-y" passing-down-only edge rusher picks in the first round lately...that is Tim's best hope for 1st round money. I think 2nd round is more likely but 1st round is not impossible...HUGE premium on getting to the QB in the NFL.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Tim can be a game changer when used correctly. He won't go in the first round, though. Some of y'all should read scouting news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still some "respected" mocks as of yesterday -- have him going to Pittsburgh in Rd 1 --

I've seen Anderson as low as Rd 4 or 5 in some circle....that, I just don't get.

I'm pushing hard for Ryan -- hope he gets into Rd 1....but likely seeing Rd 2

And it's looking very likely that Reuben will go to the Saints at #11..... I'm seeing that over and over

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
He's a guy whose combine performance may have a big impact. If he shows speed and athleticism close to VM, his upside will be too high to slide that far (assuming he doesn't have additional off field incidents).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Von Miller was 6'4'' 250lb at the combine...I'll be surprised if Tim Williams is 240lbs and I suspect he probably played in the 220-230s at Alabama.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Where are you getting those TW measurables? I've never seen him listed below 237

NFL.com has Williams at 6'4", 252 (from Rolltide.com probably). Another measurement had him at 6'4" 237, which is probably more updated and possibly more accurate. So the range is 237-252, not 220-230. You really think the school has been consistently taking 15 pounds off TW's real weight?

Miller was listed at 6'3" 245, which I am assuming were his official numbers from the combine.

Anyway, that just goes to my point -- he has a lot to gain or lose at the combine where his real measurables will not be inflated.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.