Revolutionary Power Plant captures all it's carbon emissions

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
interesting article but it doesn't tell me where or how they store the excess CO2 just that it it pipelined out of the energy creation loop. How are they storing it at no cost, as is claimed?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
interesting article but it doesn't tell me where or how they store the excess CO2 just that it it pipelined out of the energy creation loop. How are they storing it at no cost, as is claimed?
Geologically.

Pumping it into oil fields. "Enhanced Oil Recovery." This is good in two ways: it makes oil easier to recover, making wells more profitable, and the CO2 won't be going anywhere for a long long while. It's effectively sequestered.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
From the link:

The plan is to build these in oil regions, then transport the power,"

As long as natural gas is cheap and plentiful, coal is a fuel of the past. Sorry coal miners. Trumpster is wrong again.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
There are also regulations specific to coal use, arbitrarily raising its cost.
Coal extraction is extremely hazardous to the environment and unsafe for the workers. Burning coal is absolutely filthy. It stinks to high heaven and releases a ton of nasty stuff, not just CO2, unless properly scrubbed. The remaining ash is highly toxic.

Coal is going away, not because of these absolutely necessary regulations, but because the market is moving that way. That does not make these regulations meaningless.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Coal extraction is extremely hazardous to the environment and unsafe for the workers. Burning coal is absolutely filthy. It stinks to high heaven and releases a ton of nasty stuff, not just CO2, unless properly scrubbed. The remaining ash is highly toxic.

Coal is going away, not because of these absolutely necessary regulations, but because the market is moving that way. That does not make these regulations meaningless.
Coal has benefited the world far in excess of its perceived cost.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
That's no reason to keep using it if safer, cleaner, cheaper options are available. Unless your salary depends on it, I suppose.

Or if you have some sort of sentimental attachment to anthracite.
If the TCO is cheaper, the market will eliminate coal use itself, which is what I already stated. There would be no reason to manipulate market forces to force its demise.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
That's no reason to keep using it if safer, cleaner, cheaper options are available. Unless your salary depends on it, I suppose.

Or if you have some sort of sentimental attachment to anthracite.
At the moment, fracking for NG is cheaper then coal. So which is more environmentallyfriendly?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
If the TCO is cheaper, the market will eliminate coal use itself, which is what I already stated. There would be no reason to manipulate market forces to force its demise.
Is it the sole purpose of these regulations is to manipulate the market?

Cheap natural gas is what is killing coal, and if wind and solar keep making the gains they are, NG will eventually face a similar demise.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Is the sole purpose of these regulations is to manipulate the market?

Cheap natural gas is what is killing coal, and if wind and solar keep making the gains they are, NG will eventually face a similar demise.
Yes, regulations manipulate the market, especially when not applied evenly.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Yes, regulations manipulate the market, especially when not applied evenly.
I disagree. I don't believe it is being given an unfair shake. It had its day in the sun. That time is coming to an end. I hate it for the folks that have relied on it to make a living, but I'm sure many felt the same way about horse drawn carriage manufacturers when automobiles supplanted them.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.