Store pulls "Walking Dead" shirt

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Eeny, meenie, miny, mo.
When I was growing up in Virginia, the way you started tag was saying eenie, meenie, miny mo, catch a tiger by the toe." None of us stopped to wonder whether tigers had toes, nor why they would holler if we did catch one, and not just slice us to death with his free paw.
Only when I moved to Alabama did I hear a different version.
That said, there is one offensive version of the rhyme, and one not so offensive version. Why do we have to assume the offensive version was the only one that could have been intended?
What's probably more offensive is appealing to people to buy a shirt because they watch The Walking Dead. (Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I've heard both versions too. While still living in Virginia - but we were in Norfolk so different culturally than where you were, I expect.

None of this stuff surprises me any more.....the whole world has gone mad.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wonder if he has ever protested when a bookstore sells Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None.

The original title cannot be said or linked here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I remember two versions when I was little but neither involved a tiger. One used "monkey" and the other was the version referenced in the article. (Alabama and Florida)

A tiger hollering just doesn't make sense.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
We usually said tiger but I think I recall saying monkey. My mother said they used the bad word when she was young and she grew up in the north.

I have never said or heard anyone do the bad version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Only ever heard it as "tiger" as a kid. Didn't know I was using racist code until well into adulthood. Some people go way out of their way to be offended on the behalf of someone else. Perhaps these people should get a life. Or at least a hobby.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
I was always most concerned with where this tiger was going to find fifty dollars.
And every day? How long are you torturing this poor tiger?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Wikipedia: Eeny, meeny, miny, moe

A jocular use of a form of the rhyme by a Southwest Airlines flight attendant, encouraging passengers to sit down so the plane could take off, led to a 2003 lawsuit charging the airline with intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent infliction of emotional distress. Two versions of the rhyme were attested in court; both "Eeny meeny miny mo, Please sit down it's time to go" and "Pick a seat, it's time to go". The passengers in question were African American and stated that they were humiliated due to what they called the "racist history" of the rhyme. A jury returned a verdict in favor of Southwest and the plaintiffs' appeal was denied.[20]
Another possible origin is from a Swahili poem brought to the Americas by enslaved Africans: Iino ya mmiini maiini mo.[11]

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I've been born and raised in Alabama and we only used tiger and monkey. While hearing the "other version" we never used it. It's not just an Alabama thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.