UGA @ Bama Tonight at 6

Philippines

Scout Team
Feb 9, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Even before the dreadful shooting display we just witnessed, here are the Tide's shooting stats: of 351 teams ... # 266 in FG%, # 305 in 3P% and # 334 of 351 teams in FT%. :rolleyes:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Or if we could just add Michael Cooper and Rodney Rogers comma I think we might make the final four

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Even before the dreadful shooting display we just witnessed, here are the Tide's shooting stats: of 351 teams ... # 266 in FG%, # 305 in 3P% and # 334 of 351 teams in FT%.
And somehow we have 16 wins. Is this a sign of how bad the SEC is or how good Bama's defense has been this year? Or does it point to Avery being a magician?

Rodney Cooper
Think he had a brain fart and thought of Riley Cooper.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
But even with the bad shooting, how do you not show up for a game where you have a lot to play for? There was no energy and a lack of effort in the first half that cost Bama. They could never get out of the hole they dug for themselves.

Also, with Georgia's best player out, you had one guy to focus the defense on and you would not have lost the game. Instead, that guy gets 28 points. That is mind boggling to me at this level considering the rest of the talent on the Georgia team.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
No it wasn't pathetic. It was a very young team with average upper classmen playing hard, but not having the ability to put it all together quite yet. It's coming.
Maybe I should clarify - I'm as lenient toward and understanding of the program's shortcomings as anybody, and continue to rubber-stamp "The future is bright" mantra. But when players repeatedly dribble up a teammate's backside, or make a laughably "nonsurgical" skip pass that accomplishes nothing 28 feet from the basket, or have totaled maybe two no-look passes thus far into the season on top of forced if not wild shots on four of 10 possessions, you can only be documenting a team whose court awareness is, yes, pathetic. With the UGa debacle the most vivid illustration of it yet.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Alabama did a pretty good job on Frazier despite his scoring. The double-teams in the 2nd half forced the ball out of his hands with one major error when the defenders allowed him to split them with the dribble.

UGA only scored 60 points; Bama's failure to score was the killer. Alabama shot 33% in field goals (21-63). Collins and Norris did not score and there were a lot of early turnovers.

The energy and movement on offense in the 1st half was awful. This team has done this at the start of a game or the start of a 2nd half on several occasions; I don't know why.

Getting the two long-range 3-pointers by the UGA player off of the bench was a big bonus for UGA when Bama was making a strong run.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
But even with the bad shooting, how do you not show up for a game where you have a lot to play for? There was no energy and a lack of effort in the first half that cost Bama. They could never get out of the hole they dug for themselves.

Also, with Georgia's best player out, you had one guy to focus the defense on and you would not have lost the game. Instead, that guy gets 28 points. That is mind boggling to me at this level considering the rest of the talent on the Georgia team.
I have to agree. Overall, I think CAJ is doing a solid job, but it seems that consistency will be a key term for his teams. Next year we will have some guys who will be in their third seasons with CAJ, and we will welcome in a very talented group of youngsters. Hopefully, we will be able to both raise our level of play and keep it at that higher level for greater periods of time. I have seen good defensive effort most of the time, and our rebounding has been pretty darn solid most of the year. If we improve our offensive efficiency and still keep defensive effort and rebounding, that will be a recipe for success. Roll Tide!

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I did not see the game and I am sure the officiating was not good as you say. But having said that I think being only 4 for 23 from behind the arc had just a little something to do with the loss. This team plays hard and hustles but they simply can not shoot. That has cost them all year whether it be from behind the arc or from the line, and until we get some guys that can put the ball in the basket we will continue to see losses like this.
This was by far the worst game I've seen called this year. I really thought for the most part when it was bad it was bad both ways until tonight. I don't know if the SEC was making up for the UGA-Ta&m fiasco or what but we got called on one end for fouls they did not call at the other end. We had more fouls than UGA in both halves and we are the home team. When was the last time that happened? We'd drive to the basket and get mugged and then there would be a touch foul called on their end. We got to within 1 point 5 times in the 2nd half and almost every time they ended up at the line shooting free throws to go up 3 or 5.

We certainly did not play well in the 1st half, but this was a winnable game with fair officiating. We need Giddens and Galin Smith asap because other than Bola, none of our bigs seems to rebound consistently. Riley Norris barely played the 2nd half and he has keyed several comebacks with clutch plays down the stretch. My observation is he is the leader of the team since I've seen him over and over again giving instruction to the guys on the court. We missed his leadership in crunch time.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I've tried to watch as many games this year as possible and these are just my general opinions most of which are obvious probably.

- We need a player(s) that can drive through the paint/key/lane whatever you want to call it and SCORE.
Layups and Dunks. Easy Points. Everything is made harder by not having a player like this.
- We need a player(s) that can accurately shoot from the field. 2-Points and/or 3-Points
- We need everyone who is on the team to practice FREE THROW shooting like it's the most important thing to work on within their 'game'.

- The current roster doesn't have anyone who can consistently be ANY of the above 3 things for whatever reason. If we had ONE guy who could be relied on for Driving OR Shooting we could be good enough to make the NCAA tourney. We don't have a 'Scorer'.

- This team DOES have heart. I will give them that. I can tell they are trying but they are also very undisciplined, lack awareness at times and are flat reckless with the ball. I still can't believe that turnover that Dazon had near the end to Frazier. He was dribbling loosely in heavy traffic.....akin to a player in Football toting the ball 'like a loaf of bread'. The mental lapses during stretches and at the charity stripe are mind blowing.

- We flat just need 'better players' at many positions to make the next step. I know that sounds harsh but it's true. They are coming next year and that's the good news. Not to say the the current team are 'bad players' but they would be 'role players' on most all other D1 Top 25 level teams instead of starters.... if on scholarship at all.

I still cheer for them. I want them to succeed. CAJ needs some time though. This is very similar to CNS inheriting Shula talent.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Maybe I should clarify - I'm as lenient toward and understanding of the program's shortcomings as anybody, and continue to rubber-stamp "The future is bright" mantra. But when players repeatedly dribble up a teammate's backside, or make a laughably "nonsurgical" skip pass that accomplishes nothing 28 feet from the basket, or have totaled maybe two no-look passes thus far into the season on top of forced if not wild shots on four of 10 possessions, you can only be documenting a team whose court awareness is, yes, pathetic. With the UGa debacle the most vivid illustration of it yet.
Trust me, I feel your frustration. But I still think it's because we have a bunch of brilliantly talented but inexperienced, inconsistent freshman trying to find a chemistry with a bunch of average to poorly talented, inconsistent upperclassmen.
Some nights we click, some night's we don't. It's called, "growing pains".
Next year, and I know that phrase gets old, but we'll put players on the court to start the game that actually scare people with their ability.
We'll back them up with players that would have started for us had we not signed those new players.
And we'll start to become really good.
I still think we need one more really awesome recruiting class to reach the level of a national contender, but I do believe that Avery has a drawn out plan and I believe it's going to work.
In my opinion, he was done an almost miraculous coaching job to have won 16 games to date with this roster.
sip

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I know we hate to hear it, but next year will be a telling year on if CAJ is going to work for us or not. He'll have a few classes in recruiting and transfer wise and if we see improvement from this year then that's a good thing. Unless you're Roy Williams, Calipari, Coach K, etc. you are not going to turn a team around in a year or two. Wasn't we picked towards the bottom of the SEC this year? I'd say he is doing fairly well considering the disaster we call Grant left here. I thought we had a shot at the tourney this year with THIS roster, so next year it has to be tourney or bust I think and I don't think that's asking too much. The rest of the SEC is not really moving forward except Florida and UK so a top 4 finish next year is not too much to ask for either in my mind.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Was at the game.

Didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. That MUST be because of two sammiches from Archibalds before going to the coliseum. :wink:

Still the same menu: Chipped pork, ribs, bagged chips, canned soft drinks, and white bread. And the sauce . . . . . I may try mainlining the sauce.

Philippines

Scout Team
Feb 9, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Was at the game.

Didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. That MUST be because of two sammiches from Archibalds before going to the coliseum. :wink:

Still the same menu: Chipped pork, ribs, bagged chips, canned soft drinks, and white bread. And the sauce . . . . . I may try mainlining the sauce.
That also used to be my pregame ritual.:) Really miss those ribs and sauce. I am on the other side of the world now but still able to follow the Tide.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
I tell you it's just hard and frustrating waiting on Alabama to actually being better than mediocre at basketball again. It seems like a lifetime ago when they made that Elite Eight run. I love Bama basketball and wish I could at least see them make a Final Four. I think I would be more excited about that than another football championship just because it's never happened before and because basketball is my favorite sport to watch. Here's hoping it happens soon or at least we're competing for it and actually in the conversation. Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.