Former Bama Player Thad Flanagan Passes

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Thad Flanagan, playing from '73-'76 under Coach Bryant, passed away recently. Prayers for all his family. RTR and thanks for wearing the crimson and white with distinction, Thad.

Obit

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I did some digging and found a post on another board from January of last year saying he had been seriously injured when he fell out of a tree while cutting limbs.

I also got a hit on Kerry Goode's Facebook page from February of last year saying he had just come out of a coma of 34 days.

I imagine the last year was rough on him and his family and I am glad he is no longer suffering and is in a better place.

Roll Tide and Rest In Peace, Mr. Flannigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I am cursing

Can still hear in my head the Great John Forney saying "Todd rolls out, throwing downfield, and its hauled in by Thad Flanagan down at the LSU 31 yard line"...

ROLL TIDE ROLL and Godspeed Thad!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yep, lots of college talent on that team.
Believe it or not, I think Leon Douglas played defensive end on that team as well. I know Gargis pretty well.
They were playing Cullman for the state championship in 1973. On the way to the final game their bus broke down.
There were no cell phones, so the team pushed the bus until they found a pay phone. Thank goodness for modern technology huh.
They got to the stadium just before kickoff and the ref's didn't delay the game.
So, as Gargis tells it, they were down 6-0 at the half, but rather than going into the locker room to make adjustments, they simply went behind the "Field House", as it was called back then, and did their pre-game warm ups.
Colbert County, or "Leighton" came out in the second half and scored either 38 or 45 unanswered points. I'm thinking 38.
But they beat Cullman either 38-6 or 45-6 to win the State Championship.
One of the best high school teams in Bama high school history.
My school, Walker County, also played Cullman that year. We lost 23-18, or close to that, and they were a really good football team. They always were.
The year before Cullman, with Quarterback Ed Oaks beat us 59-28 on our home field and it was the only game I can remember looking at the clock and thinking, "Go clock go". They killed us.
Regardless, the Colbert County team that Thad was a part of was him at one wide receiver, Ozzie at the other, and Gargis at Quarterback. That's hard to beat in college much less in high school.
Thad and I are the same age.
I hate to hear the news. Roll Tide to Thad and God Bless.
sip

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Sad to hear, but he had suffered for so long.

RIP, Thad, we enjoyed watching you in Crimson.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
So very sad to hear of his passing. Thad was always one of my favorite players. My first year of varsity football in high school was in 1977. I practically begged to wear #87, but was told that there wasn't a number 87 jersey in inventory, so I wore 86. I always remember Thad being a great player, a great receiver on a wishbone, run-oriented offense. I think he was one of the team captains in 1976. Very sorry for his family's loss, I'm sure he'll be missed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.