Illegal Salvadoran woman with brain tumor to be deported

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't see much of that, though I do see lots of folks who see it as a completely black-and-white issue. I'm not sure it always is. I'm fairly certain those people who believe illegal status should always mean an automatic deportation would complain if all US laws were enforced in the same black-and-white manner.

ETA: scanning the article it does say she's here illegally.
from post #18

Re: Illegal Salvadoran woman with brain tumor to be deported
Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
where i draw a line is not deporting sick folks whose only crime is being here "illegally"

but i don't make policy
You say "only" as though they shoplifted a candy bar. I don't think entering another nation illegally is a trivial matter. I think it's pretty serious. I think people in Central America don't take it seriously either. I met 3 teens from Honduras who were caught and deported and they stated to my face that they did it for the adventure and because they were bored. And then they asked me why they were treated like criminals when they were caught. They were offended that they were handcuffed and put face first on the ground. I say that only to illustrate that many folks (not all) don't think crossing the border illegally is a big deal.

Also, I don't have stats or figures to back this up but I feel like if we turn your sentiment, as stated above, into firm policy we would be utterly overwhelmed by the amount of people with conditions showing up. The tax it could put on our system I could see creating a scenario where many people, both here illegally and legally could suffer.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
from post #18
I don't see him calling her / them violent criminals, but calling them what they actually are - criminals.

I'm also not going to sit here and act like I know what the right thing to do is, as I can clearly see both sides of the arguments having merit. They're criminals and should be sent home, I get it. But I also find it kinda odd that being born a few feet north or south means a person's rights should be so different.

It takes me back to the struggle I've had for year, understanding what I call 'the randomness of God's blessing'...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
im saying our immigration policy should be humane.
And I appreciate that.
There is no "glee" on my part at this woman's plight. It is a tragedy.
The world abounds in tragedies. Having seen a lot of the underbelly of the world, I have seen more than my share of tragedies.
It just seems to me that your compassion consists of being generous with other people's money.
You have said that Obamacare has been a good deal for you and your family. If you were to adopt this woman and cover her medical expenses, you'd be in a better position to preach. Or, set up a Go Fund Me page to buy this woman a ticket to Canada. I hear they have a really good health care system.
But as a policy, curing every sick person that makes her way to the US (which seems to be what you are advocating), and not closing the border to illegal immigration (and I believe you are in favor of keeping the border open), in the long run will be an enormous disaster. It is telling every sick person around the world to high-tail it to the US to get some of that free health care. This will result in tens (maybe hundreds) of millions of Americans not getting anything at all from their government. I have drawn the analogy of 25 people in a 25-person lifeboat and 100 people in the water around the lifeboat. Try to get 125 people into the lifeboat and what you end up with is simply 125 people in the water and no lifeboat at all. Given the choice between caring for citizens of the US or trying to care for sick people around the world, I'll opt for caring for US citizens and doing what we can for the others.
And I do not believe this woman is a danger to the US, except insofar as they absorbs serious amounts of taxpayer dollars for her healthcare. That expense of scarce resources is not negligible. No single raindrop feels responsible for the flood, yet floods happen. We have accrued $19 trillion in debt (so far) and when the US government defaults on that debt, the disaster will be enormous, global, and catastrophic. I'd rather avoid that.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
This may be a separate topic but I do believe that the "Church" as an institution has largely failed in this realm. I agree with you that I don't look to the government to solve these sort of problems, as a Christian I think a lot of that burden should fall to the church. I have seen the benefits of USAID, though I know you and I disagree on the merits of USAID as well. :tongue:
I'm sure most people who attend church can point to a few programs they do at local shelters or some missions here and there but I think we should be doing more.

AND YET, America is far and away the most charitable nation in the world (followed by New Zealand, Canada and the U.K.) and even so I think we could do more.
The church itself is no longer in to helping the less fortunate. It's all about building bigger and better. Every church needs a gym, a "rock" band, a staff of 50 and huge amphitheater. How can they minister to the less fortunate when they are trying to figure out how to spend the money to attract more members?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
i don't know her status. that is for the folks who are equating a person being here undocumented/illegally with being a violent criminal who poses danger.
Does it matter? If she crossed our border and entered our country illegally, she should be repatriated to her home country. Regardless if she's a violent criminal or not, by law, she's a criminal for entering our country illegally.

Cross the border "illegally" into Mexico and see what happens.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Doesn't Mexico have universal health care? What makes the woman's situation seem cruel is that she was in the hospital awaiting surgery when she was taken away. Would they have taken her from the operating table?

Let the record show that I am against immigration. Period!

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Doesn't Mexico have universal health care? What makes the woman's situation seem cruel is that she was in the hospital awaiting surgery when she was taken away. Would they have taken her from the operating table?

Let the record show that I am against immigration. Period!
According to Snopes, the docs had cleared her to leave the hospital and come back Monday.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
In an ideal libertarian world she would be free to enter the country and no one else would be forced to pay for her care so the cost of it would not be an issue to taxpayers. It's not an ideal world from any standpoint. My position is that our overall immigration policy needs an overhaul as do others parts of our system. The more we move away from classical liberalism the more oppressive the government becomes. People will support more oppression on some to avoid more directly on themselves. That is human nature and understandable to a point. I'm probably looking at this from a different perspective than most and even I have a multitude of caveats and contradictions in my views. Perhaps the rest of you wrestle with similar conflicts between your ideals and the world as it is.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In an ideal libertarian world she would be free to enter the country and no one else would be forced to pay for her care so the cost of it would not be an issue to taxpayers. It's not an ideal world from any standpoint. My position is that our overall immigration policy needs an overhaul as do others parts of our system. The more we move away from classical liberalism the more oppressive the government becomes. People will support more oppression on some to avoid more directly on themselves. That is human nature and understandable to a point. I'm probably looking at this from a different perspective than most and even I have a multitude of caveats and contradictions in my views. Perhaps the rest of you wrestle with similar conflicts between your ideals and the world as it is.
While I regret the tragedy that this woman finds herself in, I look at her case from the perspective of the broader policy. The United States simply cannot afford to provide health care at no cost to the patient for foreigners, because saying yes to this case will incentivize others to come here for the same thing. There are millions of sick people in Guatemala, Moldova, Botswana and Thailand, etc. By saying yes to two world wars and lunar landings, etc., we have already said no to cases like this.
Last FY, the US ran a $550 billion deficit. We need to turn that into a $200 billion surplus (in other words, were need a combination of tax increases and spending reductions to the tune of $750 billion), and maintain that for 95 years to just to pay off the debt already incurred.
When the Federal government defaults on its debt, the global instability that event precipitates will be catastrophic.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
While I regret the tragedy that this woman finds herself in, I look at her case from the perspective of the broader policy. The United States simply cannot afford to provide health care at no cost to the patient for foreigners, because saying yes to this case will incentivize others to come here for the same thing. There are millions of sick people in Guatemala, Moldova, Botswana and Thailand, etc. By saying yes to two world wars and lunar landings, etc., we have already said no to cases like this.
Last FY, the US ran a $550 billion deficit. We need to turn that into a $200 billion surplus (in other words, were need a combination of tax increases and spending reductions to the tune of $750 billion), and maintain that for 95 years to just to pay off the debt already incurred.
When the Federal government defaults on its debt, the global instability that event precipitates will be catastrophic.
But if no one was forced to pay for her healthcare it seems you would not care at all and might even find compassion for her a compelling enough reason to allow her to stay if someone volunteered their own time/money to care for her. You thoughts regarding immigration might shift away from (understandably) protecting your pocketbook and the country's fiscal health and toward allowing her and the others involved to do whatever they wish that didn't harm you or others. Your view reinforces mine that each move away from classical liberalism leads to more people being willing to move further away from classical liberalism. The converse seems likely to be true as well. I am speaking less of policy and more of philosophy here specifically, though they are intertwined.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
But if no one was forced to pay for her healthcare it seems you would not care at all and might even find compassion for her a compelling enough reason to allow her to stay if someone volunteered their own time/money to care for her. You thoughts regarding immigration might shift away from (understandably) protecting your pocketbook and the country's fiscal health and toward allowing her and the others involved to do whatever they wish that didn't harm you or others.
Someone paying for her in this case would help, but it would not deal with the larger issue of incentivizing others abroad that are similarly situated. And it is not so much about my pocketbook. I pay a good bit in Federal income taxes, but I don't mind that too much, if the "appropriation [is] proper and the expenditure constitutional." I do worry deeply about the long-term effect of the Federal government spending $500 billion each year than it takes in, however.
Your view reinforces mine that each move away from classical liberalism leads to more people being willing to move further away from classical liberalism. The converse seems likely to be true as well.
If I were to distinguish my views (and this is a fine point), I would self-describe as a constitutionalist and a republican (but not a Republican) with libertarian (or classical liberal) tendencies. My first considerations in a policy debate are "Is this constitutional?" and "What is good for the republic?"
I am speaking less of policy and more of philosophy here specifically, though they are intertwined.
Agreed, but I am thinking more of policy. I generally like to assume that there will be a tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
This may be a separate topic but I do believe that the "Church" as an institution has largely failed in this realm. I agree with you that I don't look to the government to solve these sort of problems, as a Christian I think a lot of that burden should fall to the church. I have seen the benefits of USAID, though I know you and I disagree on the merits of USAID as well. :tongue:
I'm sure most people who attend church can point to a few programs they do at local shelters or some missions here and there but I think we should be doing more.

AND YET, America is far and away the most charitable nation in the world (followed by New Zealand, Canada and the U.K.) and even so I think we could do more.
Many churches are more concerned with building mega complexes with coffee bars, gyms, workout facilities, swimming pools, police forces, etc.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.