JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Short Yardage: Alabama to run with Daboll; Ole Miss in a mess
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
February 24th, 2017 10:21 PM

If there was ever a doubt that Nick Saban had seen just about all he could stand of Lane Kiffin’s growing infatuation with finesse offensive schemes, hiring Brian Daboll from the New England Patriots as the Crimson Tide’s new offensive coordinator ought to erase those doubts. Even […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

Bamaboy63

Feb 24, 2017
I am very excited to get back to a little bit more of a smash mouth, physical style of football that we have seen for years. Even before Saban came around.
We got good results being different with LK recently, but possibly could have done just as good with anybody else too. Too much talent not to have success. I caught myself yelling at the TV during many games the past few years... "Run the dang ball! Stop trying to be cute, just get the first down! Turn the running game loose!"
Maybe a blend of ideas will work best, but run first?
I'm really excited again for the upcoming year.
No fan base has been as fortunate as ours for the last 7 or 8 years!
ROLL TIDE!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Thank you for the info on our new OC and the details of Ole Miss seniors. My problem with LK was as most the same as most people. We were running the ball down the field ..... and then an incomplete pass on first down and we don't recover and punt.

I don't expect to run the ball when we are facing a good team with a 9 man line. But I do expect completed passes facing 9 man lines. That was our problem, IMO.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Didn't realize that about Ole Miss seniors. Haven't seen anyone else discuss it, but I'm not surprised. After a small recruiting class this year, they'll really have depth issues if any seniors transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Love the article and thank you for it. I do think if our mentality shifts back to a smash mouth brand of football that the oline will be more physical at the point of attack and they will live up to the lofty standards we are looking for.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I'm excited to see what Daboll has to offer. I had been under the impression that it was Saban who was driving the move towards a more spread-based offense. Interesting (and refreshing) to see us potentially move back towards physical football. Hopefully next season we get more consistent line play and a better passing game to take the pressure off the backs!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It appears that Coach Saban heard thousands of fans screaming RUN THE BALL, or maybe that's just the Sunday translation. I think we all screamed it at our TV on Saturdays for 3 years.

When they couldn't stop us from running the ball, and we had moved the ball to First and Goal, it's no time to get fancy. RUN THE BALL. Score.
We all love a pretty pass play, but it stirs our hearts when a RB breaks thru their line and takes it to the end zone. Our OL will have to play a little more physical, but we have the guys who will do it if we demand it. We also have the personnel to catch a pass and take it to the house on a pass play, when we face a 8-9 man front.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I would expect most every team we play this year will run an 8 or 9 man front against us, at least until we show we have an improved passing attack. The great thing is we can beat most of the teams on our schedule with the run even if they load the box. There are probably two or three teams on the schedule we can't beat without an efficient passing game. FSU will be a real test. We will know a lot more after that game.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I've been looking for what seems like forever on Jess' article of our new OC. The add-on about Ole Miss was a nice sweetener. Thanks, JessN. I always look forward to reading your observations. You're the best.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I had stated previously, that we needed to go back the run, with game manager passing ability to control in the big games. we will have a better offensive line 2017. Jonah Williams was probably the best tackle and he will move to left side. we have two sure right or left takles in leatherwood, or baker we will have Bozeman back for 2017, and a year of experience. we have one guard position to fill. should help our offense immensely. we will once again have excellent receivers. ridley hopefully gets a chance to catch some passes. we have three top recruits coming in, and I am hoping shavers at 6ft 6in and a 4.3 time will be quite a target. we have better experienced tight ends now, especially blocking. Jalen should be able to run this team, without the bubble passes all the time. he needs confidence, and blocking. if not I have confidence in tua. I believe our defense will be tough as usual, but, younger. special teams will be steady. looking forward to a different scheme, and success.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm all for dialing our offense back toward the pro-style attack. However, it comes with a price tag, just like moving the dial more toward what Kiffin was running cost us something.

We found out that going to a more HUNH, spread style offense allowed us us to spread teams all over the field, run at such a pace that they tire and harder for them to make adjustments on the fly. It also makes the defensive game planning for the other team harder. However, it cost us in defensive fatigue and cost us the ability to consistently run the ball with power on offense, consequently us not being able to control the clock. Because for that style offense to truly work you have to make first downs more so than you would running a pro style or your defense peters out. *You have to consistently make first downs no matter what offense you run but in a fast paced offense they are truly at a premium*

Conversely, in a pro style attack you're able to control the clock more (even with three and outs, you use up more clock in this type offense) with a more run oriented offense. Your defense has fresher legs when they get on the field. You use physicality in the running game to wear down your opponent rather than pace. Play action passing becomes more available because teams will have to commit more bodies (in theory) to stop the run as the game wears on. We saw this with Coker, Sims and McCarron under center. It got to a point in games where the defense was forced to commit more bodies to the LOS or continue to allow our rb's to break off six, seven and ten yard runs. That's when Coker, Sims and McCarron would begin to pull the ball back and unleash downfield with single covered WR's. A thing of beauty when executed properly. However, the price tag is defensive game planning and scouting is simplified with this type approach. For the most part, this style offense doesn't stretch a defense both vertical and horizontal like a spread offense does. The defensive is able to substitute more frequent and you're not "catching them off guard". So execution of basic plays are crucial. You're running less plays so each play now carries more weight/value.

I hope Daboll finds a good mix and a healthy balance with going back toward the run oriented offense yet incorporating concepts of the spread within the offense when necessary. We have the talent to do it. Again, I go back to the Kentucky game and a few other games this past season where one series we lined up in the HUNH/Spread then the next series line up in power for the entire series and marched right down the field in 8-10 plays and powered it in for a score. That is impossible to defend. Teams do not have the depth or the talent to combat that. But you have to have an OC who can balance it. Kiffin was unable to.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm all for dialing our offense back toward the pro-style attack. However, it comes with a price tag, just like moving the dial more toward what Kiffin was running cost us something.

We found out that going to a more HUNH, spread style offense allowed us us to spread teams all over the field, run at such a pace that they tire and harder for them to make adjustments on the fly. It also makes the defensive game planning for the other team harder. However, it cost us in defensive fatigue and cost us the ability to consistently run the ball with power on offense, consequently us not being able to control the clock. Because for that style offense to truly work you have to make first downs more so than you would running a pro style or your defense peters out. *You have to consistently make first downs no matter what offense you run but in a fast paced offense they are truly at a premium*

Conversely, in a pro style attack you're able to control the clock more (even with three and outs, you use up more clock in this type offense) with a more run oriented offense. Your defense has fresher legs when they get on the field. You use physicality in the running game to wear down your opponent rather than pace. Play action passing becomes more available because teams will have to commit more bodies (in theory) to stop the run as the game wears on. We saw this with Coker, Sims and McCarron under center. It got to a point in games where the defense was forced to commit more bodies to the LOS or continue to allow our rb's to break off six, seven and ten yard runs. That's when Coker, Sims and McCarron would begin to pull the ball back and unleash downfield with single covered WR's. A thing of beauty when executed properly. However, the price tag is defensive game planning and scouting is simplified with this type approach. For the most part, this style offense doesn't stretch a defense both vertical and horizontal like a spread offense does. The defensive is able to substitute more frequent and you're not "catching them off guard". So execution of basic plays are crucial. You're running less plays so each play now carries more weight/value.

I hope Daboll finds a good mix and a healthy balance with going back toward the run oriented offense yet incorporating concepts of the spread within the offense when necessary. We have the talent to do it. Again, I go back to the Kentucky game and a few other games this past season where one series we lined up in the HUNH/Spread then the next series line up in power for the entire series and marched right down the field in 8-10 plays and powered it in for a score. That is impossible to defend. Teams do not have the depth or the talent to combat that. But you have to have an OC who can balance it. Kiffin was unable to.
That's a good summary.

One thing that dialing back to a slower, pro-style attack does is it let's us take advantage of our superior talent more often. Even if the defense has an easier time knowing what is coming, you still have to stop it. One of the most beautiful things about our 2009 offense and especially 2012 is the defense knew what was coming, but they couldn't stop it. Few teams have the talent to do this, but Bama is probably the first of the small list of teams who can out muscle and out athlete almost every team we play.

IMO, the spread and hurry up somewhat negated those advantages because it seemed many of the plays we ran were "set up" plays that had little chance to succeed, but designed to set up something later. It seemed to equalize some of the superior talent by not developing them or utilizing them to the fullest.

I for one like the direction our offense seems to be heading under Daboll. And it would seem to me that, even with a more traditional power approach, we could easily mix in some plays that make the defense play 50 yards wide too.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My only concern with slowing down too much - your defense seemed to get faster as your offense got faster. Was this because you started recruiting different players, or because you practiced against that faster tempo? Maybe both - probably both.

I believe that you need to practice against tempo to be ready for it in a game.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My only concern with slowing down too much - your defense seemed to get faster as your offense got faster. Was this because you started recruiting different players, or because you practiced against that faster tempo? Maybe both - probably both.

I believe that you need to practice against tempo to be ready for it in a game.

Both.

I agree with the slowing down too much. I hope we dial it back a little bit. Not completely scrap it. I think we have the talent to do both and do both for entire series during games switching back and forth between both.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks as always for the informative and entertaining article. Especially enjoyable during this time of year (between seasons) to read football related articles.

I didn't realize Bama had Oline issues. Guess in context to Florida - Bama has always looked pretty good! :D

I'm excited for you to have your new OC....I think he's a fantastic choice!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.