Bama @ College Station TONIGHT

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I did too until the last 2 games. Hate to go there- but this team is not well coached. take bad shots-not aggressive with the ball and just commit stupid fouls. Not sure what else to say.
I guess we differ. I feel great about the future of Alabama Basketball! Have a great positive night!

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I did too until the last 2 games. Hate to go there- but this team is not well coached. take bad shots-not aggressive with the ball and just commit stupid fouls. Not sure what else to say.
Agree this team lacks discipline and fundamentals. When AJ coaches the Dallas Mavericks they were known for mental lapses and horrible decisions. We have a great recruiting class coming in and I expect to see marked improvement next season. Short of a Sweet 16 run next year I'd expect to have a new coach..... Could have kept Grant or Gotfried and made the NIT and saved some money.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Last year we made a little run in league play and people starting talking about a slight chance to make the NCAA tourney. Then, we lost several winnable games and folded up the tents and looked horrible to end the season. This year, repeat the above scenario so far. I am now curious to see how year two will end. Will we finish strong and win one or two in the SEC and NIT, or continue to look like crap and go meekly into the offseason with our tails between our legs?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I will reiterate what I said yesterday in the uga thread. When you are limited in your ability to score offensively part of your strategy has to be to get fouls and score points at the FT line. It's basic basketball 101 like small ball in baseball. That is what A&M did last night and won. Seriously how much is CAJ coaching this team? This team is very capable winning games this way as well they play defense and rebound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Agree this team lacks discipline and fundamentals. When AJ coaches the Dallas Mavericks they were known for mental lapses and horrible decisions. We have a great recruiting class coming in and I expect to see marked improvement next season. Short of a Sweet 16 run next year I'd expect to have a new coach..... Could have kept Grant or Gotfried and made the NIT and saved some money.
Last year we made a little run in league play and people starting talking about a slight chance to make the NCAA tourney. Then, we lost several winnable games and folded up the tents and looked horrible to end the season. This year, repeat the above scenario so far. I am now curious to see how year two will end. Will we finish strong and win one or two in the SEC and NIT, or continue to look like crap and go meekly into the offseason with our tails between our legs?
I will reiterate what I said yesterday in the uga thread. When you are limited in your ability to score offensively part of your strategy has to be to get fouls and score points at the FT line. It's basic basketball 101 like small ball in baseball. That is what A&M did last night and won. Seriously how much is CAJ coaching this team? This team is very capable winning games this way as well they play defense and rebound.

Pretty much agree will all this. I don't think any of us expected to win the games vs Kentucky, Florida and the better OOC teams. But, we shouldn't be losing to teams like AU (twice), the home game vs UGA and now the bad road loss at A&M. Folks complain about the free throw discrepancy and I agree somewhat but why in the world did we jack up 25 3s when we only made 4 of them? That's roughly 20 possessions we could've taken the ball to hoop and tried to draw a foul. That's the kind of coaching mistakes I didn't think we'd see in year 2. I'm not in the fire CAJ camp or even think he's on the hot seat but we've got to show major improvement next year. If we don't make the tournament next year the PTB may need to start re evaluating things..

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My 2 cents.....it's never just black and white - a team's performance is always a result of both coaching and player execution. Not just one of the other.

I think there are plenty of scenarios when you can point to a lapse of judgement by a coach or a player, sure.

But in watching the Bama games over the past 2 seasons...it seems to me you need to get some better players before saying it's on the coaching.

It really does take a few seasons for a new head coach to get a program turned around. In large part I like what I see at Bama.

Those players never give up and do some pretty amazing things in every game I've watched...even when facing some very good opposition...they never give up.

Some of this year's loses were very close games that could have gone the other way - maybe if you had just one better player.

I like Coach Johnson and look forward to what happens in his third season when his gets the players he wants and needs.

Hang in there....

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Pretty much agree will all this. I don't think any of us expected to win the games vs Kentucky, Florida and the better OOC teams. But, we shouldn't be losing to teams like AU (twice), the home game vs UGA and now the bad road loss at A&M. Folks complain about the free throw discrepancy and I agree somewhat but why in the world did we jack up 25 3s when we only made 4 of them? That's roughly 20 possessions we could've taken the ball to hoop and tried to draw a foul. That's the kind of coaching mistakes I didn't think we'd see in year 2. I'm not in the fire CAJ camp or even think he's on the hot seat but we've got to show major improvement next year. If we don't make the tournament next year the PTB may need to start re evaluating things..
You don't win many games in the NBA at the FT line but you win a great many them there in college. I won't evaluate CAJ until at least year 5. But in the meantime, he needs to develop his coaching strategy to fit the college game.

This was my biggest concern with his hire. I have always felt the best coaches were in college and the best players in the NBA. So much of the game at the NBA level is just letting your players do their thing not so much with the college game.

I have always believed players in HS can get by with their sheer raw ability lots of times. In college is where most players really learn the strategic side of basketball for the first time.

The turnover on the cross court pass by Key with less than a minute to go is emblematic of this.

There are some coaches out there who don't like teaching the fundamentals of the game rather expecting players to know that already. I hope CAJ is not one of those coaches.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Fire him after three years with a terrible roster left by Grant - y'all have lost your minds.
CAJ shouldn't be fired after 3 years regardless of what happens the rest of this year and next year. But, I do think if there isn't a lot of improvement next year some things need to be re-evaluated. This isn't like football where there's an 85 man roster that needs to be completely replaced. Next year the team will be almost all of his recruits. There needs to be significant improvement next year in terms of in game coaching, player development and W/L. I think we can all agree to that..

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Talk of 'firing' CAJ after 3 seasons is ludicrous at this point.

I personally consider Mike Krzyzewski to be the 'Gold Standard' of modern College Basketball coaches. Before he was hired at Duke...then coach Bill Foster ended his run there with 3 straight 22+ win seasons, Top 15 or higher rankings, and some pretty quality NCAA tournament runs. Duke fans had a taste of success.

So Coach K comes in and you want to know how his 1st 3 seasons went?...

17-13 NIT
10-17 No Postseason
11-17 No Postseason

Can you imagine IF Duke had fired him after 3 seasons? 32 of the last 34 Seasons Duke has won 22+ games and 14 of those seasons they've won 30+ games. They've only missed the NCAA's ONCE in the last 34 Season's. Of Course his list of Championships and deep NCAA runs is amazing.

Now I'm not saying CAJ is going to even remotely be in the stratosphere of Coach K......but he MIGHT have the most success we've had here consistently since CWS. We don't know? You don't know? But you don't can a guy after 3 seasons. It takes time to build a program.....especially if the cupboards are pretty much bare.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Talk of 'firing' CAJ after 3 seasons is ludicrous at this point.

I personally consider Mike Krzyzewski to be the 'Gold Standard' of modern College Basketball coaches. Before his was hired at Duke...then coach Bill Foster ended his run there with 3 straight 22+ win seasons, Top 15 or higher rankings, and some pretty quality NCAA tournament runs. Duke fans had a taste of success.

So Coach K comes in and you want to know how his 1st 3 seasons went?...

17-13 NIT
10-17 No Postseason
11-17 No Postseason

Can you imagine IF Duke had fired him after 3 seasons? 32 of the last 34 Seasons Duke has won 22+ games and 14 of those season they've won 30+ games. They've only missed the NCAA's ONCE in the last 34 Season's. Of Course his list of Championships and deep NCAA runs is amazing.

Now I'm not saying CAJ is going to even remotely be in the stratosphere of Coach K......but he MIGHT have the most success we've had here consistently since CWS. We don't know? You don't know? But you don't can a guy after 3 seasons. It takes time to build a program.....especially if the cupboards are pretty much bare.
He'll be the best coach we've ever had in my humble opinion. Thanks for the good post.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
For the record, my above post is in no way insinuating that CAJ's job should be in jeopardy. I am simply hoping for improvement in how we close out year two compared to how we weekly finished last year. It would be nice to have a little optimism going into the offseason. Then bring in the new class and see if we can improve on consistency next year and hopefully make the dance in year three.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
He'll be the best coach we've ever had in my humble opinion.
Dunno about "the best coach we've ever had" but no question he's the best coach for promoting the program (and for his candor and charm in addressing it) in the media age.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
"He'll be the best coach we've ever had in my humble opinion. "
I hope so; but he has a ways to go to beat Wimp:
10 NCAA trips in 12 seasons
6 Sweet Sixteen's
SEC Coach of the Year 3 times
National Coach of the Year 1987

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.