R.I.P. Bill Paxton

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
There is a short list of movies that I can watch any time they come on that my wife also enjoys. Paxton was in two of those movies, Tombstone and True Lies.

RIP

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This from another forum I frequent, written by a guy who works in the film industry:

He was always well liked by the crew and very amiable, just a regular guy. He started out in the biz doing what I do, art dept/set dressing on Roger Corman films.

RIP Bill, you were a good guy with a big heart.
Watched a YT video earlier with Bill talking about the films that most interested him and he said it was "Harold and Maude" that actually prompted him to seek employment in the movie biz. Said he went with a date and after the movie he ditched her and went back for a second viewing.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
This is off topic, but does anyone else like to think that Edge of Tomorrow is a sequel to Groundhog Day.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Sakurazaka Hiroshi, the write of the novel on which the movie is based, actually said his original inspiration came from a gamer. That makes sense. He did consult similar works of fiction though, including Groundhog Day.
I really liked Edge of Tomorrow. I thought it was clever and funny at places. When, on the beach, Tom Cruise saves the "balls out" guy from a helicopter landing on him, only to have that guy get killed anyway a few seconds later, I thought the irony spoke to the randomness of combat. When Tom Cruise is training with Emily Blount and he breaks his leg, and he is trying to convince her he can still train, then resigns himself to being "reset," I thought that was pretty funny as well.

To the opening post, I thought Bill P's role as the platoon sergeant in EOT was well done. My favorite role by BP, though, was Hudson in Aliens. That character was hysterical.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I really liked Edge of Tomorrow. I thought it was clever and funny at places. When, on the beach, Tom Cruise saves the "balls out" guy from a helicopter landing on him, only to have that guy get killed anyway a few seconds later, I thought the irony spoke to the randomness of combat. When Tom Cruise is training with Emily Blount and he breaks his leg, and he is trying to convince her he can still train, then resigns himself to being "reset," I thought that was pretty funny as well.
It's become one of my favorite sci-fi/action movies. Really excellently done. A lot of black comedy. That whole "becoming the super soldier" montage (*bang* maggot *bang* maggot *bang* MAGGOT) was perfect.

To the opening post, I thought Bill P's role as the platoon sergeant in EOT was well done. My favorite role by BP, though, was Hudson in Aliens. That character was hysterical.
He was very well done. The blood knight tendencies, the numerous (prepared) rousing speeches and the ham with which Paxton acted the character were brilliant.

Hudson was another one of his really hammy roles, and it was perfect.

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Hated hearing this. I never thought that Paxton was a particularly good actor, but for some reason he was still one of my favorites.

A Simple Plan is my favorite Bill Paxton movie.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.