What was the XFL?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just got done with the ESPN 30 for 30 "This Was the XFL", and it was a pretty good documentary. But looking back on the XFL, I feel like they had some good ideas, but they were not a lot of them, and they were way overshadowed by their bad Ideas.

I think the coin toss, or the scramble, was an interesting concept, but dumb after you saw the amount of injuries it produced.

I think the football looked cool at the time

I think the best thing it gave football was the sky cams. I didn't know until the 30 for 30 that the XFL started that.

But I think with cheap thrills like the stripper cheerleaders, Jesse Ventura, Bad announcing, and catering to the wrestling side of the product really spelled its doom. Im just trying to find the positives of it, and there are probably more than I listed, but they will always be overshadowed by the glaring negatives

Here is probably the most memorable game from the Birmingham Bolts, and yes that is Gerry Dinardo as the Bolts coach.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
cheap lowest common denominator football, that was bound to fail then but now maybe could work (sadly)

best thing was the names on the Jerseys, "He Hate Me" being the best ever of course

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Didn't realize they had a 30 for 30 on this. I'll have to watch that. I was big into wrestling back in those days so ended up watching XFL some just because it was being promoted more to me.

I have made comments for years to friends and family about how the XFL started the skycams.

The only other rule change I remember was the no fair catch rule. I also fully expected it to get someone paralyzed eventually.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
With the XFL, I was hoping they would really embrace it's WWE origins. I was hoping to see a LB club a QB with a chair. I wanted to see the refs get distracted while a third team ran onto the field and caused havoc. Tag team football, anyone? The playoffs could have been a royal rumble. So much potential wasted.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The XFL was formed while I was in architecture school, so I don't remember ever seeing an actual game. I vaguely remember it being a thing, and for some reason I remember the nicknames on the jerseys.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.