Oscars Screwup

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Emma Stone said at a post party interview that that was not the case. She had her envelope with her and had kept it, so there must have been two. I went off to bed thinking La La had won but happened to turn the radio on to BBC briefly and heard it from them. Price Waterhouse has been taking care of the envelopes now for 80 years without a screwup. I guess they had one coming...
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...uk_58b3e006e4b0a8a9b783c2a0?4utl8wv36ur3323xr

PwC has now issued a statement on the debacle, revealing they handed Warren and Faye the wrong envelope to present the award with.

They also confirmed an investigation is currently underway to establish how the gaffe happened.

They said: “We sincerely apologize to ‘Moonlight’, ‘La La Land’, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, and Oscar viewers for the error that was made during the award announcement for Best Picture.

“The presenters had mistakenly been given the wrong category envelope and when discovered, was immediately corrected. We are currently investigating how this could have happened, and deeply regret that this occurred.”

They added: “We appreciate the grace with which the nominees, the Academy, ABC, and Jimmy Kimmel handled the situation.”

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I never watch the Oscars, but I saw the replay of this mistake. I admire the grace with which La La Land handled this. It had to be like a kick in the stomach, believing you had won and then discovering that had been a mistake.
Sort of tarnished Midnight's moment also...

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

PwC Partner Tweeted Backstage Minutes Before Oscar Best Picture Mix-Up

A managing partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP posted a celebrity photo on Twitter backstage at the Academy Awards Sunday night just minutes before he mistakenly gave an envelope to actor Warren Beatty that set off the disastrous announcement of the wrong best-picture winner.

Brian Cullinan, one of two PwC partners holding envelopes with the names of Oscar winners, tweeted “Best Actress Emma Stone backstage! #PWC” along with a photo of the actress at 9:05 p.m. Pacific time. That was approximately three minutes before Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway walked on stage to present the award for best picture.

Mr. Cullinan gave Mr. Beatty the envelope that was supposed to contain the name of the best-picture winner, people close to the production said. In reality, however, Mr. Beatty was given a duplicate copy of the envelope containing Ms. Stone’s name as best actress. As a result, Ms. Dunaway mistakenly named “La La Land,” in which Ms. Stone starred, as best picture.
Guess I'm naive. I figured they would have things so rehearsed and choreographed that the detail such as where the presenter enters the stage would be known.

During the Academy Awards ceremony, Mr. Cullinan and Ms. Ruiz were positioned on opposite sides backstage at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. Each had a full set of envelopes containing the winners in all 24 Oscar categories, because they can’t be certain ahead of time which side of the stage presenters will enter from, according to people close to the production. The two accountants have been handling Oscar duties for years; Mr. Cullinan told Dow Jones’s Financial News in an interview last week that he and Ms. Ruiz are the only people in the auditorium who know the identities of the winners before they are announced.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It was obviously nowhere near as famous but......it brought to my mind something that happened on a country music awards show back in 1982.

The Statler Brothers won "Record of the Year" for "Years Ago."

Oops! No, it was Alabama for "Feels So Right."

This came out a couple of days after the show.

Amazingly enough that wasn't the end of it. It came out still a few days later that THE STATLER BROTHERS had WON the award for Comedy Act of the Year......but it had been given to Barbara Mandrell and her sisters. Yes - two botched awards on the same show.

The Statler Brothers were cool, though - they even said the Music City News should award ITSELF the Comedy Act award given what was going on.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
On World News Tonight, it was reported the guy from Price Waterhouse who was handing out the envelopes to the presenters sent out a tweet just about the same time he handed out the "Best Picture" envelope.

His tweet? Congratulating Emma Stone for "Best Actress".

OOPS!

He later deleted his tweet....ha ha....

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
An award show committed to using its air time to talk about what a screw up the president is, has a screw up of monumental proportions. LOL! Don't the smart folk call that poetic justice or something like that? :biggrin:
To their credit, they fixed the problem as soon as it was discovered. If Trump had made such a mistake, he would have tweeted that "Moonlight" was overrated, just like Meryl Streep, had Sean Spicer deny that a mistake had even happened, and sent Kellyanne Conway on the rounds to insist that of course Trump isn't racist, why he had lunch with Frederick Douglass just last week. :biggrin:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
On World News Tonight, it was reported the guy from Price Waterhouse who was handing out the envelopes to the presenters sent out a tweet just about the same time he handed out the "Best Picture" envelope.

His tweet? Congratulating Emma Stone for "Best Actress".

OOPS!

He later deleted his tweet....ha ha....
I saw that report. I'll bet he texts while he drives also. It's such a simple task - "Take care of this envelope"...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.