Oscars Screwup

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I saw that report. I'll bet he texts while he drives also. It's such a simple task - "Take care of this envelope"...
I agree.

But you also have to question why Warren Beatty didn't realize that the winner should have been an actual movie, rather than an actor. Easy to second guess now, I guess, but he could have saved PW a LOT of embarrassment if he had been focusing on the words on the card.

In the end I don't think this is a big deal. Something to look back and chuckle about, for the most part. It got everyone talking about those 2 movies as well.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I agree.

But you also have to question why Warren Beatty didn't realize that the winner should have been an actual movie, rather than an actor. Easy to second guess now, I guess, but he could have saved PW a LOT of embarrassment if he had been focusing on the words on the card.

In the end I don't think this is a big deal. Something to look back and chuckle about, for the most part. It got everyone talking about those 2 movies as well.
It's a big deal for PwC.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
i wonder how quickly this guy gets canned. i imagine managing partners have a decent amount of leeway, but this is seriously embarrassing to pwc
Yeah, "How does your ability to handle a simple task like handing out envelopes reflect on your financial accounting abilities?"

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I had never even heard of Moonlight before this and I have no idea what it is about. I had never heard of LaLa Land before it made the news for all the nominations it got. All I know is that it is some old timey type musical.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree.

I got the impression that Beatty has lost a step or two, mentally...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
He did. Thats why he hesitated to read aloud and never did. He showed it to Faye Dunaway who actually read it aloud.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I got the impression that Beatty has lost a step or two, mentally...
Back in 1985, a pretty olf Laurence Olivier was presenting Best Picture. Hie eyes were pretty bad, so they gave him a sheet of paper with the nominees on it so he wouldn't have to focus on the teleprompter. He got confused, and instead of reading the nominees, he just said "The winner is ", without opening the envelope. And then said the first name on his list: Amadeus. As luck would have it, Amadeus HAD in fact won, but only the fact that it was first on the list prevented a similar mishap. If you watch Saul Zaentz' acceptance speech, you can see the moment when he looks down at the podium and realizes what happened.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ning-oscars-2017-mistake-warren-a7605511.html

A cinema in London reacted to the biggest screw-up in Oscars history by 'mistakenly' showing La La Land in a screening of Moonlight.

Staff at the Rio in Dalston eyed an opportunity following the blunder which saw La La Land incorrectly named as Best Picture by Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty in place of actual winner Moonlight, and craftily played 20 seconds of Damien Chazelle's musical in place of Barry Jenkins' acclaimed drama.

“It wasn’t the actual feature film, but a few seconds from a teaser trailer,’ the Rio's duty manager told Time Out. ”Then we shut it down, and did a bit of fumbling to make it look like we made a mistake.“

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.