sentences handed down in atlanta area confederate flag flying case

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
today in douglas county (just west of atlanta on i-20) link to ajc

As the defendants wept uncontrollably, a Douglas County judge on Monday sentenced two people to lengthy prison terms for their part in disrupting an African-American birthday party with Confederate flags, racial slurs and armed threats in 2015.

Superior Court Judge William McClain castigated the two, Kayla Rae Norton, 25, and Jose Ismael Torres, 26, for perpetrating what he called a hate crime.

He sentenced Torres to 20 years, with 13 to serve in prison; Norton was given 15 years, with six to serve.

“Their actions were motivated by racial hatred,” said McClain.
here are a couple of links to the original story - link

link

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
30 days in jail....ok. 3 months? Maybe....

20 years? 15 years?

Seriously?

http://www.douglascountysentinel.co...cle_15b32c3d-dc70-5a30-9fed-5bf29e8648e3.html
15 years in Douglas county for Vehicular Homicide

http://dekalbda.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=253
15 years for critically injuring a child

http://www.madisonjournaltoday.com/...e-year-probation-for-homicide-by-vehicle.html
killed a man in her car, because she was stoned/drunk, etc. One year probation....

these are all in Georgia.

Send a message -- yes. But, 15-20 years is a bit excessive.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
today in douglas county (just west of atlanta on i-20) link to ajc

here are a couple of links to the original story - link

link
that seems pretty excessive to me. I don't think it should be a slap on the wrist because threatening to kill 8 year olds at their birthday party should get you time but anything more than a year served is more than I am willing to support.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
that seems pretty excessive to me. I don't think it should be a slap on the wrist because threatening to kill 8 year olds at their birthday party should get you time but anything more than a year served is more than I am willing to support.
i was surprised when i saw 20 years this morning in a headline. apparently all of the others (there were 15 in all) received shorter sentences (2-4 years) or community service. not sure what these two did to warrant the extra penalties. they were apparently convicted under the georgia's street-gang terrorism law. from the original story, there were folks in the group that pointed shotguns at the party (including the kids) and threatened to "kill the n-words" and this was only a few weeks after the charleston shooting, so i guess that played into it.

sort of sounds like the judge was trying to make an example as he also banished them from douglas county (i don't see that as a punishment ;) ) after they serve their sentence.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i was surprised when i saw 20 years this morning in a headline. apparently all of the others (there were 15 in all) received shorter sentences (2-4 years) or community service. not sure what these two did to warrant the extra penalties. they were apparently convicted under the georgia's street-gang terrorism law. from the original story, there were folks in the group that pointed shotguns at the party (including the kids) and threatened to "kill the n-words" and this was only a few weeks after the charleston shooting, so i guess that played into it.

sort of sounds like the judge was trying to make an example as he also banished them from douglas county (i don't see that as a punishment ;) ) after they serve their sentence.
LOL yeah, I banished myself from Douglass county decades ago. Do my best to stay out of Cobb too

seems to me like they were offered deals, which everyone else took and these fools thought they could fight and win. Sort of feel bad for their kids for mom and dad to be gone for so long but then again these two could hardly be great parents.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Completely agree. Threatening to kill 8 year old kids should come with time served but good night alive, 15-20 years?! Setting a very, very bad and dangerous precedence if this sticks and they actually serve the entire sentence.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Here are their sentences:

He sentenced Torres to 20 years, with 13 to serve in prison; Norton was given 15 years, with six to serve. Upon their release, McClain ordered them to be permanently banished from Douglas County.

I would go with 5 years in prison each. Parole in 3 years. Probation for 10 years. Why did these idiots go to trial? Why did they point a shotgun at people at a birthday party? Morons. Wonder if alcohol was involved?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is like the Nebraska cornfield and roger Goodell type of ruling. The punishment clearly doesn't fit the crime. I would go 5 years if I wanted to make an example.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I love the emphasis the black reporter makes on the Confederate flag while minimizing the bigger threat - the gun. The flag wasn't going to be near the weapon a gun would, but I digress.

That being said - I have a serious problem with the notion that you get that kind of sentence for what was admittedly wrong, stupid, and criminal in the same world where a Brock Turner gets three months for sexual assault. Seems to me those sentences should have been reversed (and I know it wasn't the same court so let's not get bogged down in details).

Prison, yes. 20 years? You've got to be kidding me.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The article said they were intoxicated and pointing guns at people, including children. That is a recipe for disaster and they are very lucky nobody got hurt. For the reason this could have turned deadly, I support a harsh sentence. But 20 years is way out of bounds, especially since it seems to be more for a hate crime than brandishing a deadly weapon while drunk.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The article said they were intoxicated and pointing guns at people, including children. That is a recipe for disaster and they are very lucky nobody got hurt. For the reason this could have turned deadly, I support a harsh sentence. But 20 years is way out of bounds, especially since it seems to be more for a hate crime than brandishing a deadly weapon while drunk.
the racist crap they were doing needs to be nipped in the bud, imo. so while i think the sentences are pretty harsh, part of me thinks,good, maybe the rest of these idiots will get the memo. what they were doing is the equivalent of the klan burning a cross in a black person's yard and should be treated as such. i think that is why they went after this group with the street gang law. i haven't seen any reporting yet (only read a couple of stories) as to why these two were singled out

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Community service for 2 years is what they should have gotten. Specifically helping the minority community.

I don't know how this would work but sitting in a jail cell doesn't help anyone.....if you want to send a message....send a message.

Lazy work by the judge.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.