WH to no longer contest TX voter ID law

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I support having an ID to vote. It has nothing to do with suppression. Maybe suppressing illegal voting. Folks should be required to show who they are. Anyone without an ID can get one. If they can't afford one, they can get it free.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
sure, you support it because it seems logical and sound and I get that, but it is not why the GOP does. If the numbers went the other way they (and most here judging by how the can't even call trumps crap for what it is) would be calling ID laws unfair

it is what it is
I have lived and voted for a number of years under Alabama's voter ID law. As I understand it, it has been around since 2003. I never noticed when it started, and I never found it burdensome to the voting process. I never read a study or heard anything negative about voter ID laws until they began to spread during the last few years. Nevertheless, my opinion on the matter is formed by personal experience.

Back in 2003, it looks like a sum total of six states had some form of voter ID law:

+ Missouri
+ Alabama
+ Colorado
+ Montana
+ North Dakota
+ South Dakota

There's more purple than red in that early list.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
What is needed to vote in Texas:

http://www.votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/need-id/

A problem I have is that a college photo ID is not allowed. For example, a student may have a drivers license from another part of the state or even out of state. Should the student be expected to travel some distance to vote in a national election rather than voting where he goes to school? I can't remember how I used to vote in college. Anyone?

Ya'll may remember the case at a HBCU in North Carolina where college ID was not accepted under there recent law. The vast majority of students were from out of the area and some 10,000 could not vote locally until a lawsuit rectified the situation.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
What is needed to vote in Texas:

http://www.votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/need-id/

A problem I have is that a college photo ID is not allowed. For example, a student may have a drivers license from another part of the state or even out of state. Should the student be expected to travel some distance to vote in a national election rather than voting where he goes to school? I can't remember how I used to vote in college. Anyone?

Ya'll may remember the case at a HBCU in North Carolina where college ID was not accepted under there recent law. The vast majority of students were from out of the area and some 10,000 could not vote locally until a lawsuit rectified the situation.
I voted absentee ballot when I was in school at Alabama.

Were those who tried to vote actually registered to vote in the area where they were going to school?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I recently met a local member of the county Republican party leadership. I explained that my father is elder, no longer drives and does not have a license. I asked if, hypothetically, someone in the local Republican party would give him a lift to the DMV so he could get an ID so he could vote. The Republican official said, "Sure, we could do that. When would you father like to go?"
I explained that my father is a frothing-at-the-mouth Democrat. She said, "Doesn't matter as far as we are concerned. When would he like to go?"

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I recently met a local member of the county Republican party leadership. I explained that my father is elder, no longer drives and does not have a license. I asked if, hypothetically, someone in the local Republican party would give him a lift to the DMV so he could get an ID so he could vote. The Republican official said, "Sure, we could do that. When would you father like to go?"
I explained that my father is a frothing-at-the-mouth Democrat. She said, "Doesn't matter as far as we are concerned. When would he like to go?"
well I guess we need no longer worry about it then

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Don't fool yourself TW. They would have dropped your Dad off in a swamp some where so he couldn't vote :biggrin:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I voted absentee ballot when I was in school at Alabama.

Were those who tried to vote actually registered to vote in the area where they were going to school?
I can't find a really good link. My understanding is that they had registered and voted in the past, but the new North Carolina Voter ID required a state drivers license. A court judgment changed the law to allow multiple forms of documentation to acquire a voter ID. Much like Alabama does.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Links please
I'll rely on you or one of our Geogia residents to correct the record. There are many articles out there, but here is one in the AJC that references an AJC-sponsored study:

http://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...ia-over-voting-issues/PxvKqPHA4tUJuS8tkGQvmJ/

At the same time, he [Secretary of State Brian Kemp] has also backed the use of measures including a requirement for voters to show photo identification at their polling location. Georgia won court approval to implement the law in 2007. While critics said it would suppress voting particularly in minority communities, an analysis done by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 2012 showed that turnout among black and Hispanic voters increased, outpacing population growth for those groups in the law’s first five years of effect.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I'll rely on you or one of our Geogia residents to correct the record. There are many articles out there, but here is one in the AJC that references an AJC-sponsored study:

http://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...ia-over-voting-issues/PxvKqPHA4tUJuS8tkGQvmJ/
Thanks My Oenophile Friend. Here is a short article that says the number of Hispanic voters increased but the percent of registered Hispanic voters who actually voted was way down since the ID requirement. Strange.

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/analyzing-minority-turnout-after-voter-id

A graphic. Makes the interesting point that the race of voters can only be collected by survey.

http://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout/demographics

I'm not sure what to believe now.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Thanks My Oenophile Friend. Here is a short article that says the number of Hispanic voters increased but the percent of registered Hispanic voters who actually voted was way down since the ID requirement. Strange.

A graphic. Makes the interesting point that the race of voters can only be collected by survey.

I don't believe what you linked is in conflict with what I posted...other than the conclusions drawn.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
well I guess we need no longer worry about it then
You're welcome. Glad I could reduce your stress level.
Next time I see the local Democratic Party rep, I'll ask her too.
My point is that I would bet most local party organizations would be happy to help someone who did not have an ID, but wanted one to get the required ID, even if the voter did not agree with the organization helping out. In other words, if my father were a rabid Trumpster, I'd bet the Democrats would also be willing to get him to the DMV.

Looking back at your original premise, it seems to me that you were castigating the Trump Administration for dropping the case against voter ID laws because it helped Republicans, but, by implication, you were in favor of the Obama Administration pursuing court cases against states that had such laws because overturning such laws would help Democrats.
I would prefer a more objective standard. How about lets have laws that make sure non-US citizens don't vote? Or, if the Democrats are in favor on non-US citizens voting, how about let's state that openly and honestly and have a debate on that. This whole "black people aren't smart enough to get IDs" line is condescending and patronizing.

Last edited:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
sure, you support it because it seems logical and sound and I get that, but it is not why the GOP does. If the numbers went the other way they (and most here judging by how the can't even call trumps crap for what it is) would be calling ID laws unfair

it is what it is
But you only point the finger of cynicism one way. You may as well explain why Democrats are "really" against the laws -- cause it hurts their vote.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

As I think about it, there are at least two questions about using turnout of registered voters:

(1) To what degree does the number of registered voters actually reflect people living in the state at any given time?

(2) To what degree does being registered equate with being an eligible/legal voter?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
But to be fair, its not just the right that support this - I couldn't care less which party / team / side it helps, it just seems logical to me. I think painting it as purely political motivation misses a good chunk of folks who don't view the world through a political lens.
There are voter ID laws, and there are the voter ID laws enacted by the GOP--a group with a well documented history of voter suppression, mind you (he sighs, knowing full well that the hyenas will immediately start braying that Democrats INVENTED voter suppression; possibly, but the GOP is perfecting it) Given that a federal court ruled that a North Carolina voter ID law targeted blacks "with almost surgical precision", it's more than just a little disingenuous to claim that the GOP is just trying to protect the sanctity of the election.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.