WH to no longer contest TX voter ID law

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
it's more than just a little disingenuous to claim that the GOP is just trying to protect the sanctity of the election.
I've not made that claim one time. I'm simply saying that's not the only motivation (if it is), as there are people like me who are not repubs who want voter ID laws in place only because it makes sense. Calling it voter suppression seems a bit insane to me, but since a judge said it has to be true.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
As I think about it, there are at least two questions about using turnout of registered voters:

(1) To what degree does the number of registered voters actually reflect people living in the state at any given time?

(2) To what degree does being registered equate with being an eligible/legal voter?
Don't know about #1

Ideally,100% of registered voters are legal voters. Reality is slightly different. If you are registered the government has declared you a legal voter. Can you register without a photo ID?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Don't know about #1

Ideally,100% of registered voters are legal voters. Reality is slightly different. If you are registered the government has declared you a legal voter. Can you register without a photo ID?
For Georgia the answer is not clear. A valid GA driver's license or ID card is required, but one may register online or via snail mail ostensibly without matching yourself to the photo.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I've not made that claim one time. I'm simply saying that's not the only motivation (if it is), as there are people like me who are not repubs who want voter ID laws in place only because it makes sense. Calling it voter suppression seems a bit insane to me, but since a judge said it has to be true.
The comment wasn't directed at you; apologies for not making that clearer. You commented on how people other than the GOP supported voter ID laws. My response was that there is a difference between the idea of voter registration and the specific implementation we've seen from the GOP. Keep in mind that judge was commenting on the NC law, not the idea of voter ID laws in general.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
For Georgia the answer is not clear. A valid GA driver's license or ID card is required, but one may register online or via snail mail ostensibly without matching yourself to the photo.
I think it is the same in Tennessee. The person can register online but has to vote the first time in person and show ID. After that, the person can vote on an absentee ballot.

This is how out-of-state (or out-of-county for that matter) college students could vote. The problem is that most of these college students would not have had the opportunity to vote in person so they would have to register in person with an ID rather than online in order to vote on an absentee ballot. There is also the opportunity to vote early in person so maybe a college student could get home for this after registering online. I mention the college student scenario because many college students are not residents where their school is located and would not be able to vote locally.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think it is the same in Tennessee. The person can register online but has to vote the first time in person and show ID. After that, the person can vote on an absentee ballot.

This is how out-of-state (or out-of-county for that matter) college students could vote. The problem is that most of these college students would not have had the opportunity to vote in person so they would have to register in person with an ID rather than online in order to vote on an absentee ballot. There is also the opportunity to vote early in person so maybe a college student could get home for this after registering online. I mention the college student scenario because many college students are not residents where their school is located and would not be able to vote locally.
A college student may either vote in their home state or at their college locale (with caveats).

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
It continues to amaze me that one has to have ID to do even the most mundane things, such as purchasing alcohol, driving a car, even flying on a plane, yet somehow voting - the very foundation of our society - is treated differently.

I cannot logically work through it. I know the stats, etc., but I just don't care - you want to vote? Show your picture ID.
It would be easier to make a list of those activities for which you do not need a picture ID than for those you do. For instance, I just had to buy new handicap tags for the vehicle we use to transport Mrs. Reb. I had to go in person along with my Driver License and a handful of other papers to show I was the owner of the vehicle, still had the proper insurance, etc.
Sure, you can go to a grocery store or restaurant without an ID, but even then only if you're paying with cash.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
There are voter ID laws, and there are the voter ID laws enacted by the GOP--a group with a well documented history of voter suppression, mind you (he sighs, knowing full well that the hyenas will immediately start braying that Democrats INVENTED voter suppression; possibly, but the GOP is perfecting it) Given that a federal court ruled that a North Carolina voter ID law targeted blacks "with almost surgical precision", it's more than just a little disingenuous to claim that the GOP is just trying to protect the sanctity of the election.
Documented by the party that doesn't think people are smart enough to get an ID.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Heritage Foundation sample list of election fraud cases: Here

The United States has a long and unfortunate history of election fraud. The Heritage Foundation is providing a list of election fraud cases from across the country, broken down by state, where individuals were either convicted of vote fraud, or where a judge overturned the results of an election. This is not an exhaustive list but simply a sampling that demonstrates the many different ways in which fraud is committed. Preventing, deterring, and prosecuting such fraud is essential to protecting the integrity of our voting process.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.