WH to no longer contest TX voter ID law

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
10 seconds on google

this is about disenfranchisement dressed as fraud deterrent, nothing more. A soocial security card, medicare card and county issued photo id isn't enough? Nor a expired DL with proper photo? Come on

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...-id-law-proved-insurmountable-many/321680001/
The expired license, I completely agree with in that it should have been allowed. It's still state issued and as long as it has her name and address, it should be allowed. Ditto for the county issued photo ID. It's government issued. Out of state DL? Does it have your current address on there? No. Why would you EVER allow someone with an out of state driver's license to vote? That truly makes no sense. As for a SS card or medicare card? Do either have a photo ID?

So when we do background checks at work, better yet, submit to E-verify, we typically have to have either a Driver's license & Social Security or a passport. Both the DL & passport have photo IDs. So if E-Verify which is run by the federal government requires this, why do you think it's then disenfranchising to require such to vote?

Disenfranchisement? Please. Get pulled over without a driver's license and cry that to the cops as well.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
As an example, without ID verification, what is to stop someone one from gathering up 250 voter registration cards at a convalescent center and distributing them to their friends to vote on behalf of those people?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Back to the out of state driver's license. Typically, what is done is that person is allowed to submit a provisional vote which is reviewed by the registrar's office for authenticity. I served 4 years as our precinct's election judge so I know there are some provisional voting mechanisms that would allow someone to cast their vote in the event they were without a proper ID.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The expired license, I completely agree with in that it should have been allowed. It's still state issued and as long as it has her name and address, it should be allowed. Ditto for the county issued photo ID. It's government issued. Out of state DL? Does it have your current address on there? No. Why would you EVER allow someone with an out of state driver's license to vote? That truly makes no sense. As for a SS card or medicare card? Do either have a photo ID?

So when we do background checks at work, better yet, submit to E-verify, we typically have to have either a Driver's license & Social Security or a passport. Both the DL & passport have photo IDs. So if E-Verify which is run by the federal government requires this, why do you think it's then disenfranchising to require such to vote?

Disenfranchisement? Please. Get pulled over without a driver's license and cry that to the cops as well.
my wife voted in Georgia with her Florida license. Why is that an issue? State issued ID, what is the problem? We have 2 houses and she got her license there but lives here. For much of the time I went to Alabama I had a GA Drivers license as do many out of state college students, should they not get to vote?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Back to the out of state driver's license. Typically, what is done is that person is allowed to submit a provisional vote which is reviewed by the registrar's office for authenticity. I served 4 years as our precinct's election judge so I know there are some provisional voting mechanisms that would allow someone to cast their vote in the event they were without a proper ID.
did you read the article I posted? The provisionals in Wisconsin were all tossed and not counted, how is that a vote?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
my wife voted in Georgia with her Florida license. Why is that an issue? State issued ID, what is the problem? We have 2 houses and she got her license there but lives here. For much of the time I went to Alabama I had a GA Drivers license as do many out of state college students, should they not get to vote?
You should vote in your home state, yes. Not your "temporary" state where you are attending school. As for your wife, what was to prevent her from voting in both states? If she has a FL DL she should be allowed to vote in GA elections? See my statement on provisional voting. The registrar would have to verify she's not registered in both states and had already cast a ballot in the other state. Hence fraud.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
You should vote in your home state, yes. Not your "temporary" state where you are attending school. As for your wife, what was to prevent her from voting in both states? If she has a FL DL she should be allowed to vote in GA elections? See my statement on provisional voting. The registrar would have to verify she's not registered in both states and had already cast a ballot in the other state. Hence fraud.

Federal law prevented her from voting in both states and college students should go home? Want to send Tua back to Hawaii in November? I don't

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
did you read the article I posted? The provisionals in Wisconsin were all tossed and not counted, how is that a vote?
And there was no indication as to why they were tossed. I'm not arguing that there were legal ballots tossed that shouldn't have been. It's very possible and if so, that needs to be investigated.

In this case however:

Tindall, 24, had graduated in May, but wasn’t sure whether she would stay in Wisconsin so she kept her Ohio ID. Her student ID had her name, photo, a barcode, school logo and the most recent academic year she attended. But her student ID didn’t have an expiration date or say when it was issued, so she was forced to cast a provisional ballot.

She doesn’t have a car, so she took an Uber to the DMV to get an ID. She was told the ID would arrive by express mail the next day.

By then, she said, her work schedule at a Starbucks prevented her from going to the local clerk’s office with the ID so her vote would count.
So she procrastinated...and then thinks she should have her voted counted after she failed to do some very basic stuff early on? So if someone who is of age, fails to register to vote by the deadline, should they go ahead and accept their vote anyway? When does it end?

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Federal law prevented her from voting in both states and college students should go home? Want to send Tua back to Hawaii in November? I don't
How do each of the states verify whether or not she's voted in local elections? Just because it's a federal law doesn't necessarily prevent her from casting two ballots.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
How do each of the states verify whether or not she's voted in local elections? Just because it's a federal law doesn't necessarily prevent her from casting two ballots.
she is only registered to vote in one place, Georgia so there is no worries there at all. She never registered elsewhere

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
she is only registered to vote in one place, Georgia so there is no worries there at all. She never registered elsewhere
You failed to answer the question directly so let me ask it another way. If she has a Florida DL and a current Florida address as you just eluded to, what is to prevent her from registering to vote in Florida and casting a ballot there (besides her internal ethics)? If she wanted to fraudulently vote in FL could she?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
You failed to answer the question directly so let me ask it another way. If she has a Florida DL and a current Florida address as you just eluded to, what is to prevent her from registering to vote in Florida and casting a ballot there (besides her internal ethics)? If she wanted to fraudulently vote in FL could she?
yes she could but she is prevented by federal law and would not. This isn't difficult to understand. You could get an address at Mailboxes etc and do exactly the same thing. You can even register to vote in 2 states if you want, you just can't vote in 2.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
A University of Wisconsin study found that their state's new voter ID law disproportionately deterred or prevented low-income and minority voters who had participated in the 2012 election from voting in 2016.
I was under the impression the Republican was voted to POTUS by largely uneducated deplorable hicks that never went to college. This should actually help eliminate many of those dummies.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
yes she could but she is prevented by federal law and would not. This isn't difficult to understand. You could get an address at Mailboxes etc and do exactly the same thing. You can even register to vote in 2 states if you want, you just can't vote in 2.
I would guarantee you as an experiment, if she registered in FL she would be allowed and her vote would be counted. Federal law doesn't actually prevent someone from registering and voting in two states it just makes it illegal to do so. How is that not so easy to understand. Just because federal law makes it illegal to distribute narcotics doesn't necessarily prevent someone from doing it.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I was under the impression the Republican was voted to POTUS by largely uneducated deplorable hicks that never went to college. This should actually help eliminate many of those dummies.
Yeah, but all white, uneducated rednecks have huntin' & fishin' licenses so by default, also have state issued IDs so they can get said huntin' & fishin' licenses.

Didn't you know during huntin' season, Wisconsin has the fourth largest "army" in the world? Come on man...;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.