WH to no longer contest TX voter ID law

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm sure you do

http://www.gq.com/story/study-voter-id-laws-are-racist

All else equal, when strict ID laws are instituted, the turnout gap between Republicans and Democrats in primary contests more than doubles from 4.3 points to 9.8 points. Likewise, the turnout gap between conservative and liberal voters more than doubles from 7.7 to 20.4 points.
By instituting strict voter ID laws, states can alter the electorate and shift outcomes toward those on the right. Where these laws are enacted, the influence of Democrats and liberals wanes and the power of Republicans grows. Unsurprisingly, these strict ID laws are passed almost exclusively by Republican legislatures.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So are you trying to convince me they can't prove they are legally voting?
no, I am linking to a report on a study that showed these laws favor the GOP, read it and come to your own conclusions. Here is the actual study http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/688343

and abstract

The proliferation of increasingly strict voter identification laws around the country has raised concerns about voter suppression. Although there are many reasons to suspect that these laws could harm groups like racial minorities and the poor, existing studies have been limited, with most occurring before states enacted strict identification requirements, and they have uncovered few effects. By using validated voting data from the Cooperative Congressional Election Study for several recent elections, we are able to offer a more definitive test. The analysis shows that strict identification laws have a differentially negative impact on the turnout of racial and ethnic minorities in primaries and general elections. We also find that voter ID laws skew democracy toward those on the political right.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I'm sure that's the purpose...
Do you ever wonder where they get the Identification it takes for their offspring to play sports and drive cars? That would be an easy time to pick up your own ID when you have to be present to sign for your offspring.... It's a cruel, cruel heavy burden they can't possibly carry...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Do you ever wonder where they get the Identification it takes for their offspring to play sports and drive cars? That would be an easy time to pick up your own ID when you have to be present to sign for your offspring.... It's a cruel, cruel heavy burden they can't possibly carry...
Quit trying to be reasonable...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It continues to amaze me that one has to have ID to do even the most mundane things, such as purchasing alcohol, driving a car, even flying on a plane, yet somehow voting - the very foundation of our society - is treated differently.

I cannot logically work through it. I know the stats, etc., but I just don't care - you want to vote? Show your picture ID.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
It seems like a pretty low bar to set to me. You wouldn't think it would be tough to setup a system to allow people to get them with minimal hassle. You still have to get out of your house to do a lot of things and need an ID to do a ton of things. I get that some people don't like it for various reasons and also have reasons why they can't get out for it but if voting is that important to you I'd think you could find a way to manage it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
It seems like a pretty low bar to set to me. You wouldn't think it would be tough to setup a system to allow people to get them with minimal hassle. You still have to get out of your house to do a lot of things and need an ID to do a ton of things. I get that some people don't like it for various reasons and also have reasons why they can't get out for it but if voting is that important to you I'd think you could find a way to manage it.
I agree. I don't fully understand why it's an issue, but the numbers don't lie. These laws help the Right and hurt the Left so I understand why the right supports them

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I agree. I don't fully understand why it's an issue, but the numbers don't lie. These laws help the Right and hurt the Left so I understand why the right supports them
But to be fair, its not just the right that support this - I couldn't care less which party / team / side it helps, it just seems logical to me. I think painting it as purely political motivation misses a good chunk of folks who don't view the world through a political lens.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
But to be fair, its not just the right that support this - I couldn't care less which party / team / side it helps, it just seems logical to me. I think painting it as purely political motivation misses a good chunk of folks who don't view the world through a political lens.
sure, you support it because it seems logical and sound and I get that, but it is not why the GOP does. If the numbers went the other way they (and most here judging by how the can't even call trumps crap for what it is) would be calling ID laws unfair

it is what it is

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I see the numbers but it seems like something that the left should focus on working with their voter base on encouraging to improve their numbers or offering assistance for getting ID's taken care of. I know that a lot of their voters mistrust the government for various reasons but there are a lot of people on the right that are the same way as far as watching out for Big Brother but I haven't heard much of a blowback from them about not voting.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Everybody knows that these laws are about minority voting suppression and we all know where most of those votes go. If you dont, you're not paying attention. Having said that I dont know why it is such a big deal today to get up off your butt and get an ID.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Everybody knows that these laws are about minority voting suppression and we all know where most of those votes go. If you dont, you're not paying attention. Having said that I dont know why it is such a big deal today to get up off your butt and get an ID.
Bingo - it's only 'voter suppression' because some people are too lazy to do something minimal in order to vote.

I support these laws but it has nothing to do with party or suppression - it's simply logical to me. It makes zero sense for people to be able to vote without proving they are who they say they are.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I couldn't see the actual report that was linked. Were the numbers derived by comparing different states; ones that have tight voter ID laws and ones that do not? If so, are the makeup of these states substantially different in politics and demographics so that the difference would be there anyway? Or, is there data to show what happens when a state changes from liberal ID laws to strict ID laws?

Also, does this study indicate that people are voting in states with liberal ID law when they shouldn't be allowed?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.