WH to no longer contest TX voter ID law

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
NBC Columbus Ohio

[FONT=&quot]Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted announced an investigation has uncovered that hundreds of non-US citizens are registered to vote in the state, and dozens of them voted illegally.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]According to a release from Husted, 385 people who are not citizens of the United States are registered to vote in Ohio. Out of those, 82 voted in at least one election in the last year.[/FONT]

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Now Trump only needs to fine 2,999,918 more and he can be shown to be not lying on 1 issue which would truly be something

It's down to 2,999,418 more votes now...

USA TODAY

RALEIGH - North Carolina elections officials found that about 500 ineligible voters cast ballots in the 2016 general election — but not enough to change the outcome of any race.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
A University of Wisconsin study found that their state's new voter ID law disproportionately deterred or prevented low-income and minority voters who had participated in the 2012 election from voting in 2016. Link

A survey of registered voters in Dane and Milwaukee Counties who did not vote in the 2016 presidential election found that 11.2% of eligible nonvoting registrants were deterred by the Wisconsin’s voter ID law. This corresponds to 16,801 people in the two counties [included in this study].

Roughly 80% of registrants who were deterred from voting by the ID law, and 77% of those prevented from voting, cast ballots in the 2012 election.

The burdens of voter ID fell disproportionately on low-income and minority populations. Among low-income registrants (household income under $25,000), 21.1% were deterred, compared to 7.2% for those over $25,000. Among high-income registrants (over $100,000 household income), 2.7% were deterred.
One weakness of this study is a relatively low number of respondents (some confidence intervals overlap in the figure below). But it recapitulates a clear trend that study after study has shown: in practice, these are discriminatory laws. And the central question of why states should be making it more difficult for people to vote (especially when targeting specific subgroups) for no demonstrable purpose has yet to be answered.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
A University of Wisconsin study found that their state's new voter ID law disproportionately deterred or prevented low-income and minority voters who had participated in the 2012 election from voting in 2016. Link

One weakness of this study is a relatively low number of respondents (some confidence intervals overlap in the figure below). But it recapitulates a clear trend that study after study has shown: in practice, these are discriminatory laws. And the central question of why states should be making it more difficult for people to vote (especially when targeting specific subgroups) for no demonstrable purpose has yet to be answered.

You need an ID to drive, to buy a gun (in most states), to purchase alcohol, buy cigarettes, open a bank account, rent a house, get on a plane, rent a hotel room, pick up a prescription, but you guys are complaining about needing an ID to vote because it helps to deter voter fraud? So if we don't need an ID to vote, I guess we should no longer need an ID to buy alcohol or cigarettes, get on a plane, do a background check, buy a gun or need one for driving, right?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
You need an ID to drive, to buy a gun (in most states), to purchase alcohol, buy cigarettes, open a bank account, rent a house, get on a plane, rent a hotel room, pick up a prescription
You're correct, but all these things have an inverse relationship with socioeconomic status. The requirement of an ID may not be a hardship for you, me, or anyone else who already owns one, but it is for many people who don't. The more central issue, however, is that it's a solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist, in the process harming Americans to a far, far greater degree than it helps.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
You're correct, but all these things have an inverse relationship with socioeconomic status. The requirement of an ID may not be a hardship for you, me, or anyone else who already owns one, but it is for many people who don't. The more central issue, however, is that it's a solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist, in the process harming Americans to a far, far greater degree than it helps.
you have it completely wrong, it is a solution to a problem that exists. The Problem is that too many of "those people" vote Democrat so by doing this they can insure that Republicans win. Problem solved

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Maybe the 16,801 2012 voters (or a portion thereof) were voting illegally in 2012 and this law made illegal voting more difficult?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
you have it completely wrong, it is a solution to a problem that exists. The Problem is that too many of "those people" vote Democrat so by doing this they can insure that Republicans win. Problem solved
Well yeah, if you think poor people just don't deserve to vote, then it's certainly helping make that a reality. But I'll be generous and presume that many folks who support voter ID on philosophic grounds just haven't really thought about the discriminatory impact.

Maybe I'm feeling overly idealistic today.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Well yeah, if you think poor people just don't deserve to vote, then it's certainly helping make that a reality. But I'll be generous and presume that many folks who support voter ID on philosophic grounds just haven't really thought about the discriminatory impact.

Maybe I'm feeling overly idealistic today.
Now you're coming around.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
No, it's a simple fraud deterrent. If you have a better solution, float it for discussion. Otherwise, I can go grab all my neighbor's voter registration cards on the day they come in the mail and distribute them to my friends or "comrades" and vote however we darn well choose, right?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
No, it's a simple fraud deterrent. If you have a better solution, float it for discussion. Otherwise, I can go grab all my neighbor's voter registration cards on the day they come in the mail and distribute them to my friends or "comrades" and vote however we darn well choose, right?

10 seconds on google

But it is not hard to find the Navy veteran whose out-of-state driver’s license did not suffice, or the dying woman whose license had expired, or the recent graduate whose student ID was deficient — or Harris, who at 66 made her way to her polling place despite chronic lung disease and a torn ligament in her knee.

She had lost her driver’s license just before election day. Aware of the new law, she brought her Social Security and Medicare cards as well as a county-issued bus pass that displayed her photo.

Not good enough. She had to cast a provisional ballot that ended up not being counted.
this is about disenfranchisement dressed as fraud deterrent, nothing more. A soocial security card, medicare card and county issued photo id isn't enough? Nor a expired DL with proper photo? Come on

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...-id-law-proved-insurmountable-many/321680001/

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I recently met a local member of the county Republican party leadership. I explained that my father is elder, no longer drives and does not have a license. I asked if, hypothetically, someone in the local Republican party would give him a lift to the DMV so he could get an ID so he could vote. The Republican official said, "Sure, we could do that. When would you father like to go?"
I explained that my father is a frothing-at-the-mouth Democrat. She said, "Doesn't matter as far as we are concerned. When would he like to go?"
Don't fool yourself TW. They would have dropped your Dad off in a swamp some where so he couldn't vote :biggrin:
Medicare Part S

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.