WH to no longer contest TX voter ID law

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
So, I don't think we are going to agree about how many people do or don't vote illegally. But, why would you not create programs or a national program that are effective at making sure every citizen has a free ID. The goal for our country in general should be to get as many Americans to vote as possible. If you are going to make it harder for them to vote with a Voter ID law then you need to also make it easy to get an ID at no financial cost or ridiculous time cost. Why would we not want everyone to vote?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
So, I don't think we are going to agree about how many people do or don't vote illegally. But, why would you not create programs or a national program that are effective at making sure every citizen has a free ID. The goal for our country in general should be to get as many Americans to vote as possible. If you are going to make it harder for them to vote with a Voter ID law then you need to also make it easy to get an ID at no financial cost or ridiculous time cost.
I would be fine with this compromise, but only if we first ensured that all legal voters possess such identification before instituting voting restrictions based on it.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I would be fine with this compromise, but only if we first ensured that all legal voters possess such identification before instituting voting restrictions based on it.
Agreed. I just figured the "how many people illegally vote" topic was going to continue down the typical lines of people providing "different" sources.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
So if the possibility exists that a law could be broken are you arguing we need to do everything to stop said law from being broken even if there is no proof that anyone is breaking the law? Or in this case there is proof that it isn't being broken to any significant extent?
After three lawsuits, scores of record requests, and reviews voter history files across 133 Virginia jurisdictions, the Public Interest Legal Foundation has uncovered the following:

Virginia election officials quietly removed 5,556 voters for non-citizenship between 2011 and May 2017;
1,852 of those removed as noncitizens cast ballots;
A total of 7,474 illegal ballots were cast from the pool of removed noncitizens;
These 5,556 were removed from the rolls because they self-reported. i.e., they said they were US citizens on one voter registration form and then later said they weren't. There is no systematic scrubbing of voter rolls for non-citizens who maintained the lie that they were citizens.

Hillary Says Voter Suppression Cost Her the Election; At the same time, real evidence of illegal-alien voting surfaces.

In 2014, three professors from two Virginia universities estimated, based on comprehensive survey data, that 6.4 percent of the nation’s non-citizen population voted illegally in the 2008 election, enough to have changed the outcome in some states. In 2008, more than 1,200 felons illegally cast votes in Minnesota’s ultra-close Senate race, in which Al Franken was ultimately declared the winner by 312 votes.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
After three lawsuits, scores of record requests, and reviews voter history files across 133 Virginia jurisdictions, the Public Interest Legal Foundation has uncovered the following:

These 5,556 were removed from the rolls because they self-reported. i.e., they said they were US citizens on one voter registration form and then later said they weren't. There is no systematic scrubbing of voter rolls for non-citizens who maintained the lie that they were citizens.

Hillary Says Voter Suppression Cost Her the Election; At the same time, real evidence of illegal-alien voting surfaces.
What's sad is it looks like illegal immigrants care more about our government than we do.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The percentage of non-Hispanic whites included in the "white alone" category is so high that I doubt removing immigrants from the data would make a significant difference or sway the decision.
I would love to see the corrected data, but I stop short of making these kinds of assumptions. We are talking about the fastest growing ethnic group in the country.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I would love to see the corrected data, but I stop short of making these kinds of assumptions. We are talking about the fastest growing ethnic group in the country.
I'd like to see the corrected data. From the data I've seen, the white alone category is made up of about 85% white, non-Hispanic. The black alone could also contain non-Hispanic which would water it down a little on that end. White-alone makes up about 78% of the total population. This is national though so the states in question would be different.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Indiana Purging Voters Using Software That’s 99% Inaccurate

More than 99 percent of voter fraud identified by a GOP-backed program is false, a study by Harvard, Yale, and Microsoft researchers found. Now Indiana is using the faulty program to de-register voters without warning.

In July, Indiana rolled out a new law allowing county officials to purge voter registrations on the spot, based on information from a dubious database aimed at preventing voter fraud. That database, the Interstate Voter Registration Crosscheck Program, identifies people in different states who share the same name and birthdate. Crosscheck has long been criticized as using vague criteria that disproportionately target people of color. Now Indiana voters who share a name and birthdate with another American can have their registrations removed without warning—a system ripe for abuse, a new lawsuit claims.

If Crosscheck found that an Indiana resident’s name and birthdate matched that of a person in another state, Indiana law used to require officials to ask that person to confirm their address, or wait until that person went two general election cycles without voting, before the person’s name was purged from Indiana voter rolls.

Under the state’s new law, officials can scrub a voter from the rolls immediately. That’s a problem for Indiana residents, particularly people of color, a Friday lawsuit from Common Cause and the American Civil Liberties Union argues.

A recent study by researchers at Microsoft, as well as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Pennsylvania universities found that, for every legitimate case of double-registration, Crosscheck erroneously flagged 200 voters who were only registered in one state.

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
well, when hundreds of thousands of eye-legals are voting in every election, drastic measures are needed
Well, when dead people are voting (sometimes casting more than one vote in an election) and when people want illegals to be able to have a standard ID (but GOD forbid they have to show it at a poling establishment) and so on (this is not party specific either because it happens on both sides) then SOMETHING has to be done. Using a program that's 99% inaccurate ( if indeed it truly is ) is certainly not the answer to be sure, but having to show a legal ID to have to show to vote is at least a start.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.