Question: Two Questions regarding Bo Scarbrough

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Here's another thing that should be considered. My former neighbor put two sons through travel ball. Thinking that by playing the better competition it would give his sons a leg up on those who did not and it would benefit them when they got into HS baseball. Here's what he told me after it all shook out. His sons got into HS baseball and ended up not being good enough to start. They were second string players their entire HS baseball career. Not getting one scholarship offer etc. But here's the kicker. A lot of the guys who started ahead of them did not play travel ball. Some played in the local leagues and at that particular time weren't very good players themselves. But as they grew and developed they got better.

His conclusion was this (and to some degree I agree with him). When it comes to elite athletes and those who go on to play college and then go onto play pro ball. It is God given. You can't coach it, teach it etc. They either have the natural born talent or they don't. As it pertained to his sons, he got the most out of their talent. They "peaked" at the age of 12 and their development came to a halt. Because their physical abilities had reached their maximum output. The players who played in the lessor leagues, who his son was better than through 12 years old but eventually passed his son in HS. They were simply born with more natural talent and when his sons' physical talent had peaked theirs were just starting to develop.

He's basically saying what I think you are alluding to as well. Playing travel ball will not guarantee a scholarship to a major college. Heck, it can't even promise you a starting spot on your local HS team. So put athletics into perspective and use as an avenue for enjoyment for the kid. Not as a tool to turn them into a professional baseball player.

Yes it did. I played golf with a couple of their baseball coaches last year -- down in Bradenton. They were former major leaguers Tim Raines, Jr. and Calix Crabbes... Fantastic guys with a great perspective on high school athletics and the current state of youth athletics in general.

As a Dad who had 2 sons go through all of this and play major college sports -- one who was a two time 2nd Team All American -- let me offer a couple of words of unsolicited advice:

1. If your son is better than everyone around and superbly athletically gifted, you might consider team travel. The truth is that these are money makers for the towns that put them on. If your child is that good, then s/he will be discovered no matter where they play as a 12 year old.

2. Don't mortgage the home thinking that will help him/her a college scholarship. Save your money and send them to camp at the schools where they would like to play/attend. Much better use of limited financial resources.

3. Put athletics in perspective and don't let these things dominate your family. Enjoy when they are home...it passes all too quickly.

This is a great topic that needs open discussion...thanks for this thread.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
There are probably good and bad that can be associated with this arrangement. For instance there is a kid in a bad naborhood who is teetering between using his talent for sports or get sucked into the gang culture. Having a place that will take him in and immerse him in a productive environment could be huge.

On the other hand I'm not happy about a kid who would abandon his high school team to essentially go train to be a pro football player. First off it's not necessary. The kids who have pro-level skill are so far beyond the normal person that they stick out. So they can be on a .... ant team like for instance "Yulee Florida" and he will have reccruiters buzzing around like flies. Putting him into an ultra competative environment with the best athletes in the country could be too much too soon for someone who is still physically maturing. Plus at it's heart I truely believe "character" is what wins championships and I question the character of a guy who has no loyalty to his home town football team. Admittedly some kids don't really have a home town football team because they have moved around or whatever. Personally me there is nothing that could have been offered to me to make me give up the chance to play for my high school. Some things are just beyond money, my friends were there, the girls I wanted to impress were there. IF I had any ability (I didn't) the colleges would have found me.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Here's another thing that should be considered. My former neighbor put two sons through travel ball. Thinking that by playing the better competition it would give his sons a leg up on those who did not and it would benefit them when they got into HS baseball. Here's what he told me after it all shook out. His sons got into HS baseball and ended up not being good enough to start. They were second string players their entire HS baseball career. Not getting one scholarship offer etc. But here's the kicker. A lot of the guys who started ahead of them did not play travel ball. Some played in the local leagues and at that particular time weren't very good players themselves. But as they grew and developed they got better.

His conclusion was this (and to some degree I agree with him). When it comes to elite athletes and those who go on to play college and then go onto play pro ball. It is God given. You can't coach it, teach it etc. They either have the natural born talent or they don't. As it pertained to his sons, he got the most out of their talent. They "peaked" at the age of 12 and their development came to a halt. Because their physical abilities had reached their maximum output. The players who played in the lessor leagues, who his son was better than through 12 years old but eventually passed his son in HS. They were simply born with more natural talent and when his sons' physical talent had peaked theirs were just starting to develop.

He's basically saying what I think you are alluding to as well. Playing travel ball will not guarantee a scholarship to a major college. Heck, it can't even promise you a starting spot on your local HS team. So put athletics into perspective and use as an avenue for enjoyment for the kid. Not as a tool to turn them into a professional baseball player.
Buzz,
Sorry for late response but I've been getting pounded crossing the Gulf the last few days.
My only real pet peeve about travel baseball is 9/10 year olds holding a runner taking a lead. Pitchers and catchers have way too much to learn and develop at that point.

I definitely agree that TB is no guarantee of future success. Fortunately for us, we decided to homeschool so we have much more flexibility and can maintain high academic standards without the mountains of homework the rest of our players deal with before or after practice.

Padre,
Great point about the benefit of camps at schools they're looking at. We aren't quite there yet, but it's right around the corner.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.