Bama Going Back to Our Roots: Prognosticate our Success

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Something to be said for being ahead of the changes. TEs had disappeared from football (for the most part) with the advent of the spread. They came roaring back a few years ago.

Here's the thing. Basketball used to be a game of positions that were more or less dictated by your height. 5'9"-6'3" you were a 1 or 2. 6'4"-6'8" you were a 3. 6'7"-6'10" you were a 4. 6'9+ you were a 5. Now there are five guys on the court, all of similar size at nearly every position, and it's skill that determines your position. The 5'9"-6'2" guys are nearly gone from the Pro Game.

Football is following that path. Receivers are bigger than tight ends from 20 years ago. Safeties are the size of LBs in the 90s. LBs are bigger than DEs from that era, etc. it's getting to be a big man's game.

My point is...is that power football as we knew it, is likely gone. Too much speed on the elite teams. And the OL size/speed combo hasn't caught up with the demand yet. Most of those guys have been recruited for defense.
I get what you are saying - the game has evolved - but it's been a bit different and in different way. The biggest difference has really been on the OL and DL where the size has gone up dramatically. Our OL for the 1992 championship season were mostly in the 280 range and none would play today at those sizes. Our LBs in 1992 were comparable to the guys from the 2017 team (Oden Morris and Rodgers played ILB and were all 225-235, Hall who played strongside and in that scheme played both like a traditional OLB and the Star today was 235, London played outside like our Jack and was 245-250 ), but not quite as big as when we had Rolando and Donta a few years ago, but neither rolando nor donta would have been a DE in 1992 either - not big enough. The only LB spot on today's roster that is bigger is OLB, where we tend to play those guys like DEs with a hand in the dirt so they are mostly up above 250 (with exceptions like T Williams)

Basically I think what you are saying was true of football about 5-6 years ago, but in a pretty rapid manner the game has evolved again, toward somewhat smaller, faster players at some positions like LB and DL. It's created a need for 'new' positions like the Star (which plays neither like a pure CB or a pure S) or the 'weak-safety ' position that Mark Barron now plays in the NFL which is a hybrid LB/S. The OL size have increased dramatically and speed there has stayed relatively constant.

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
Something to be said for being ahead of the changes. TEs had disappeared from football (for the most part) with the advent of the spread. They came roaring back a few years ago.

Here's the thing. Basketball used to be a game of positions that were more or less dictated by your height. 5'9"-6'3" you were a 1 or 2. 6'4"-6'8" you were a 3. 6'7"-6'10" you were a 4. 6'9+ you were a 5. Now there are five guys on the court, all of similar size at nearly every position, and it's skill that determines your position. The 5'9"-6'2" guys are nearly gone from the Pro Game.

Football is following that path. Receivers are bigger than tight ends from 20 years ago. Safeties are the size of LBs in the 90s. LBs are bigger than DEs from that era, etc. it's getting to be a big man's game.

My point is...is that power football as we knew it, is likely gone. Too much speed on the elite teams. And the OL size/speed combo hasn't caught up with the demand yet. Most of those guys have been recruited for defense.
The reason the players got bigger was to step up to play the changing defensive schemes. In 3-4 OLB are sometimes the size of a 4-3 DE.
It's all about scheme now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I don't think we are going to slow way down and completely go away from the HUNH we've used lately. IMO, CNS wants to have balance between an explosive offense that can put the defense on it's heels and a eat the clock, salt the game running attack.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I don't think we are going to slow way down and completely go away from the HUNH we've used lately. IMO, CNS wants to have balance between an explosive offense that can put the defense on it's heels and a eat the clock, salt the game running attack.
I agree with you 100%. I think there are parts of the HUNH that CNS likes or we would've never gone that way to begin with. I think we will be surprised. BTW, I see you're in Afghanistan. Be safe and thanks for your service.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Going back to what Tusks said, I agree with all. Towards the end of the season, we saw what happened after teams figured out they could ignore the center of the field...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Going back to what Tusks said, I agree with all. Towards the end of the season, we saw what happened after teams figured out they could ignore the center of the field...
Me too. You`ve at least got to have some kind of credible threat over the middle, 10-20 yards down the field. We didn`t have that. Might be able to get away with it against the lesser lights in the game, but not against the Clemsons, Ohio States, etc.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As an interesting side note to what I was saying:

USC's dynasty had a long unbeaten streak. Their 18th game was Oregon State on the road, a .500 ball club. USC led, 14-13, entering the fourth and held on to win by 28-20. But they were tons better than the Beavers.

Miami's dynasty played their 18th game on the road at eventual 8-4 Boston College. Miami led 9-7 entering the fourth and 12-7 in the final minute. BC had first and goal at the 9 and ready for the win. Their QB threw a pass that ricocheted into the arms of a Hurricane, who lateraled it Ed Reed and a 91-yard touchdown to end the game.

Miami was TONS better than BC - but they, too, were feeling the pressure.

Their Torretta Dynasty that had the 29-game streak we snapped actually did pretty good, shutting out Nebraska in their 18th game.

FSU's Winston dynasty drew Citadel for the 18th game.....but their 17th and 19th wins were narrow escapes by six points each against Okie State and Clemson (in OT).

The Alabama 28-game winning streak of 1978-80 had the biggest fright of that streak with a narrow 3-0 win over LSU in the 18th game. LSU was not very good that year but the Tide ran into a quagmire in Baton Rouge with torrential rain and mud and everything.

Yes, there have been some long winning streaks - but it's right around that time that the guys will tell you about the pressure getting enormous. The 72 Dolphins into 73 had an 18-game streak as well.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
On 11/20/1954 Oklahoma beat Nebraska 55-7. It was their 18th consecutive win and it ended with a 47 game win streak losing on 11/16/1957 to a 3-7 Notre Dame team 7-0.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
On 11/20/1954 Oklahoma beat Nebraska 55-7. It was their 18th consecutive win and it ended with a 47 game win streak losing on 11/16/1957 to a 3-7 Notre Dame team 7-0.
True - but a totally different time, too. Nobody is ever going to approach that again.

The quality of the game is far too balanced compared to back then.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
A championship of any description for 2017 comes down to two things:
-- Secondarily, can the OL improve? Will the re-emphasis of the downhill between the tackles running game help?
-- Primarily, can Jalen Hurts develop into a credible threat to pass over the middle? He doesn't have to be all-world...just enough of a threat to make good defenses cover between the hashes. This is the most important point. If he can't, we'll still steamroll 8 or 9 teams. Three or four others, though, will have defenses good enough to make us pay: FSU, LSU, Auburn and a post-season D if we're lucky enough to split with LSU and Auburn.

Bank it: FSU is going to make Hurts prove he can complete passes between the hashes. If he can, we probably win by double digits. If he can't, well, Clemson says hi.

A banner in 2017 is mainly a question of Hurts' development. Secondarily, the OL. In 2018, we'll be the hands-down NC favorite.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm in total agreement with you, but I would also point out......

SCORING DEFENSE
LSU (5)
Florida (6)
Auburn (7)
Washington (8)
Clemson (10)

PASSING YARDAGE DEFENSE
Florida (2)
Clemson (14)
Washington (15)
LSU (23)

Three of those were tough games...and the Florida game was the defense and special teams rising up.

The further proof of "what we could be" is that we didn't face very many decent passing defenses but we DID face good rushing defenses and blew them to pieces. If we'd had BOTH weapons in the arsenal.......

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I agree with you 100%. I think there are parts of the HUNH that CNS likes or we would've never gone that way to begin with. I think we will be surprised. BTW, I see you're in Afghanistan. Be safe and thanks for your service.
Thank you!

Just as it was several years ago while I was in Iraq, Tidefans is a home away from home.

It's like no matter how far away I am from my family, I can still visit some friends.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think what puzzles me most is how we let probably a first round draft pick at tight end be so underutilized. As we all know, the New England offense features the tight end a great deal.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think what puzzles me most is how we let probably a first round draft pick at tight end be so underutilized. As we all know, the New England offense features the tight end a great deal.
TEs generally catch the ball over the middle of the field. You stopped throwing the ball there almost completely last year. But he was not wasted - he was a dominant blocker on the edge for you all season.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
TEs generally catch the ball over the middle of the field. You stopped throwing the ball there almost completely last year. But he was not wasted - he was a dominant blocker on the edge for you all season.
That's true but even when we had Coker he was really targeted until late. Also, Calvin Ridley is another that came up missing.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Thank you!

Just as it was several years ago while I was in Iraq, Tidefans is a home away from home.

It's like no matter how far away I am from my family, I can still visit some friends.[/
QUOTE]

You got that one right, big guy! And thanks for your service.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.