Link: Don't Expect a Sophomore Slump from Jalen Hurts

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This has been discussed numerous times since the season ended. Those issues can be credited to two areas - tougher competition and a coordinator with his head elsewhere.
Something else that seems to go unnoticed is Jalen was basically still a "high school kid" playing against (in many cases) grown men. We had an 18 year old highschool kid trying to process the speed of a game being played by guys who at the end of the year would be preparing to play in the NFL. Compared to an 18 year true freshman they are grown dang men.

The experience Jalen got from playing will not show until this offseason and the 2017 season. What he did as a freshman qb last season was phenomenal. I can't criticize him for anything. He wasn't supposed to be out there to begin with.

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
I don't know how popular this opinion will be... I feel Jalen has sort of already had his sophomore slump.

His production definitely declined as the year went on. Most of the time this is due to defenses adjusting to more film, etc. It's on Jalen now to make counter-adjustments and improve. Sometimes these adjustments can be hard to make mid-season. I think he can come out of the gates firing.
This is exactly how I feel too. Now that Jalen is going into season #2, he knows exactly what to expect and he can come out way more prepared and "fired up" with more of a "let's go win this" confidence rather than a "let's not make mistakes and lose" demeanor. And I for one am excited he will have an NFL veteran in Brian Daboll in his ear all offseason/season to coach him up and bring the whole offense together. I really cant wait to see how we attack defenses led by a "seasoned" Hurts at QB.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
/thread. See talk of moving Jalen to tight end or other position. Check calendar. Yep, it's the offseason. \thread

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Something else that seems to go unnoticed is Jalen was basically still a "high school kid" playing against (in many cases) grown men. We had an 18 year old highschool kid trying to process the speed of a game being played by guys who at the end of the year would be preparing to play in the NFL. Compared to an 18 year true freshman they are grown dang men.

The experience Jalen got from playing will not show until this offseason and the 2017 season. What he did as a freshman qb last season was phenomenal. I can't criticize him for anything. He wasn't supposed to be out there to begin with.
That was somewhat alluded to in the stats listed in the link. Most of the Freshmen that had comparable stats were in their redshirt Freshman season. They at least had a year to watch film and get some practice reps. Jalen did not.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Jalen Hurts was the 1st Freshman QB in "forever" to start for CNS. He was the SEC Offensive player of the year as a Freshman. Short of an unexpected event or injury, there is about a zero percent chance anyone can unseat Hurts from his position at QB. The number of nattering nabobs of negativity pointing out his shortcomings as a passer really does surprise me. What did anyone expect out of a Freshman playing on the largest college stage, playing against very complicated and very fast defenses? Of course he can get better as a passer..that's a natural progression for almost every QB in college (who is not supremely talented enough to start as a Freshman).
RTR

I'm not personally saying it WILL happen or that even it PROBABLY will happen but that it COULD happen. We won't know how much better the passing part of Jalen's game improves until we see it.

Braxton Miller started as a True Freshman and was BIG 10 Freshman of the Year. Then as a True Soph. and Junior won the BIG 10 Offensive POY and MVP's two years in row. Missed a season due to injury and then couldn't beat out Cardale Jones or JT Barrett and switched to WR and was drafted to the NFL as a WR.

I bring it up because Braxton and Jalen have very similar skill sets. Bigtime threats with their legs but inconsistent as passers. You take out those 'pop pass' plays that fluff up Comp % and Jalen's REAL forward passing % is in the 50-55% range......similar to Braxton.

Tua looks more polished as a passer right now. I doubt he has any real chance to unseat Jalen this season. But it's not inconceivable that it could happen somewhere in the next 3 years IF Jalen's passing doesn't improve.

Maybe B1GTide can weigh in.....I'm sure he's more intimately familiar with the whole Miller/Jones/Barrett situation than me.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not personally saying it WILL happen or that even it PROBABLY will happen but that it COULD happen. We won't know how much better the passing part of Jalen's game improves until we see it.

Braxton Miller started as a True Freshman and was BIG 10 Freshman of the Year. Then as a True Soph. and Junior won the BIG 10 Offensive POY and MVP's two years in row. Missed a season due to injury and then couldn't beat out Cardale Jones or JT Barrett and switched to WR and was drafted to the NFL as a WR.

I bring it up because Braxton and Jalen have very similar skill sets. Bigtime threats with their legs but inconsistent as passers. You take out those 'pop pass' plays that fluff up Comp % and Jalen's REAL forward passing % is in the 50-55% range......similar to Braxton.

Tua looks more polished as a passer right now. I doubt he has any real chance to unseat Jalen this season. But it's not inconceivable that it could happen somewhere in the next 3 years IF Jalen's passing doesn't improve.

Maybe B1GTide can weigh in.....I'm sure he's more intimately familiar with the whole Miller/Jones/Barrett situation than me.
The problem with this comparison is that Barrett didn't beat out Miller. He only got the job because Miller missed the entire season with the injury. Either Urban didn't care what he had in either backup, or Miller was the better player until Barrett and Jones got game reps.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
In regards to QB development, I very much like the hire of Chris Weinke as Alabama's next (or first?) "QB whisperer." He was older when he started for FSU, won the Heisman, and then had a successful NFL career (lasted 7 or so years). Believe his experience as a QB and coaching QBs, age/maturity will help Jalen Hurts and all other QBs on Alabama's roster in the future.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
In regards to QB development, I very much like the hire of Chris Weinke as Alabama's next (or first?) "QB whisperer." He was older when he started for FSU, won the Heisman, and then had a successful NFL career (lasted 7 or so years). Believe his experience as a QB and coaching QBs, age/maturity will help Jalen Hurts and all other QBs on Alabama's roster in the future.
Possibly... but until an extra asst. coach is approved he can't have that kind of contact with Jalen. He can't be the QB coach yet. Jalen needs to hire a private coach outside of the program to work with him this off-season. Much like Coker did with David Morris or Blake Sims did with Ken Mastrole.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Most won't like this comment. It can sound like a compliment and an insult at the same time.

But I don't disagree either. This has the potential to be a Braxton Miller tOSU type situation at some point. Jalen comes across as a team first type of player. I can see him doing well as a RB/FB....not sure about WR but maybe TE?

I think the fastest he's been timed is 4.65. But he seems faster after he's had a few steps. He puzzles me about speed. Part of it is his long stride like a Vince Young, but part of it too is he's had some runs where he was flying and and has vision to follow blocks or juke a guy..... yet....he can also be ran down in the pocket a lot? Like a LB or DL will just chase him down. So it's like he has really fast speed when he can shift gears.....yet he's not twitch side to side shifty fast elusive...or fast out of the gates. But maybe that's indecision? I'm telling you Jalen stumps me all the time with his running.

Also, maybe he develops his passing ability and stays put. He DEFINITELY needs a QB Coach in this off-season however. He 'hops' in the pocket which wastes time AND makes a good bit of his throws be out of time or just plain 'off target'. His footwork/pocket technique needs refining. I also wonder why at times the ball comes out of his hand so funky. He threw some wobbly ducks last season and a couple that just went out end-over-end like a kicked ball. Those weren't tipped passes either. Are his hands too small and he can't grip the ball well? I'm not sure? Because he's also thrown some tight spiral lasers a few times too. Something with his overall release is just inconsistent.

Most of us never thought Sims would have the Senior season he had in 2014 though.....so... We will just have to wait and see how this plays out. He gets better and starts for 4 years or Tua/Mac overtake him this year or next.

I don't forsee a 'slump' but it's possible he might or already has hit a ceiling passing. I'm going to hope he hasn't. I hope he gets extra QB coaching on technique, puts in work on timing with the WR's and TE's and that CNS and Daboll trust Jalen and encourage him to be a bit more of a gunslinger. Not reckless but not tentative either....he's needs just a little of that Moxy that Gmac, AJ, Sims, and Coker all showed at times to really fire a pass in there in tight single coverage or throw a jump ball downfield and trust that your guy will make the play. Heck even just throw to the guy running wide open in the middle of the field on a crossing in-route waving his hand around. I'm rooting for him to take the next step.

Lastly I just want to say I really really LOVE Jalen. He was one of my favorite players last year. He still IS one of my favorites. His calm demeanor and leadership and ability to forget bad plays can't be taught. He has ALL the intangibles you want in a starting QB. He made a TON of clutch plays last year with his legs(including a TD run that SHOULD have won a NC and been a Daniel Moore print we salivate over for ages) but also quite a few with his arm. He does have a STRONG arm too....the passing problems are technical and mental imo.
some of the differences in perceived speed you mention could be because in the pocket he was often keeping his eyes downfield still trying to find an open receiver so likely wasn't running full speed. It's a positive on one hand, but he does need to develop that sense of when he's getting run down so he can just take off or worse case get out of the pocket to throw it away.

He's got the arm strength and the right work ethic - that's not even in question - so I think it will hinge on the game slowing down for him so he can get through his reads with the right timing. An off season of throwing to the receivers to help him get better timing with them will also be key. He had a lot of balls last year he threw 5-10 yards to far down the field; leading the receiver to much. they were open os if he can work that out we should be able to exploit the deep middle again.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Highlights on why we hired Chris Weinke.
- It is a possibility that Alabama hired Chris Weinke to be OC analyst. That's a huge plus for the school because of his knowledge and experience with QB.
- He's one of the few players that can throw real good deep ball on play action plays. Hurts struggled on that a lot throughout the season and He's the best guy that can help him with that. Even through he's not allowed to work with Hurts on the field.. there is a way to do so. Film room and conversations can help him so much mentally.
-Chris Weinke and Daboll Can work together to develop a plan and Daboll will implement it on the field at practices.

My prediction is that Hurts will have productive effective year throwing over 2k yards, 20 TD and 7 Ints.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Highlights on why we hired Chris Weinke.
- It is a possibility that Alabama hired Chris Weinke to be OC analyst. That's a huge plus for the school because of his knowledge and experience with QB.
- He's one of the few players that can throw real good deep ball on play action plays. Hurts struggled on that a lot throughout the season and He's the best guy that can help him with that. Even through he's not allowed to work with Hurts on the field.. there is a way to do so. Film room and conversations can help him so much mentally.
-Chris Weinke and Daboll Can work together to develop a plan and Daboll will implement it on the field at practices.

My prediction is that Hurts will have productive effective year throwing over 2k yards, 20 TD and 7 Ints.
I think he does a lot better than that. His 2016 numbers had him passing for almost 3,000 yds (2,780), 23 TD's, 9 Ints, 62.8 Compl % and a 139.1 QB Rating

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jalen-hurts-1.html

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I agree, but his biggest weakness was playing tentatively at times, whether he was running or passing.

Sometimes he hesitated to run and many times he hesitated to pass when the window was open.

If plays with more urgency and greater timing he could be scary for the opposition.
Sometimes he hesitated to run, because the coaches were on him about trying to do too much. What's a guy to do?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
In my opinion his future depends on his mental development. I'm fairly confident he can put the ball where it needs to go IF he's able to process the information quicker and know where to go with it. He was always a touch slow reading the situation and his throws were so often hurried. That's going to be the case with most any freshman QB but the question is can he grow into the job. I'm not worried about a sophamore slump becuase he has to improve to keep his job with what is behind him.
He did grow into the job... Hate to mention it but Jalen didn't lose the National Championship. He had us up, but our Defense was wore smack dab out, and allowed Clemson to score. A slower pace by our Offense should allow our Defense to be rested... But then, that's just my opinion from the cheap seats.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
He did grow into the job... Hate to mention it but Jalen didn't lose the National Championship. He had us up, but our Defense was wore smack dab out, and allowed Clemson to score. A slower pace by our Offense should allow our Defense to be rested... But then, that's just my opinion from the cheap seats.
Yep. Just a few ( probably very few, actually ) more first downs would have been precious.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Not putting it all on Jalen by any stretch as we had a lot of chances to get a few first downs and didn't, but there were several passes he miss very open WRs on that would have given us the first downs we needed to burn clock, and Clemson was stacking the box in a big way and baited Sark into just about abandoning the run once Bo went down. Those passes would have also likely made clemson shift alignments some to open up the playcalling some. Again, not all on Jalen at all, but those few plays highlighted the areas I think we all hope he will grown in for next season.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yep. Just a few ( probably very few, actually ) more first downs would have been precious.
i remember 3 or 4 passes dropped that would have been for first down yardage, not to mention the penalties that either negated a first down or put us in a hole where clemson could just pin their ears back.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
i remember 3 or 4 passes dropped that would have been for first down yardage, not to mention the penalties that either negated a first down or put us in a hole where clemson could just pin their ears back.
Or the screen pass intended for Harris that OJ caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Let's also remember that Miller wrecked his shoulder a couple of times. By the time he was a senior, he basically could not throw.

The problem with this comparison is that Barrett didn't beat out Miller. He only got the job because Miller missed the entire season with the injury. Either Urban didn't care what he had in either backup, or Miller was the better player until Barrett and Jones got game reps.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.