Link: Don't Expect a Sophomore Slump from Jalen Hurts

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Let's also remember that Miller wrecked his shoulder a couple of times. By the time he was a senior, he basically could not throw.
This is fair - Miller was our starter in 2014 until he got hurt in practice. JT stepped in and was instantly a better passer than Miller. Check the stats - Miller was never a good passer, but his legs made up for his arm. He was/is a great athlete who probably never should have played QB. Cardale stepped in when JT got hurt and did remarkably well considering his limitations as a decision maker. He played well enough for us to win a championship that year, but it was really Zeke that allowed that to happen (think Ingram in 2009).

I have no idea what would have happened to Miller had he not been injured. Could he have developed into a good passer? Maybe, but JT has not improved as a passer since the 2014 season, so I wouldn't bank on improvement. You just never know.

Lots of folks assume that young players will get better with more experience. The plain truth is that this doesn't always happen. In fact, it happens a lot less frequently than we would like to believe at the skill positions in sports.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is fair - Miller was our starter in 2014 until he got hurt in practice. JT stepped in and was instantly a better passer than Miller. Check the stats - Miller was never a good passer, but his legs made up for his arm. He was/is a great athlete who probably never should have played QB. Cardale stepped in when JT got hurt and did remarkably well considering his limitations as a decision maker. He played well enough for us to win a championship that year, but it was really Zeke that allowed that to happen (think Ingram in 2009).

I have no idea what would have happened to Miller had he not been injured. Could he have developed into a good passer? Maybe, but JT has not improved as a passer since the 2014 season, so I wouldn't bank on improvement. You just never know.

Lots of folks assume that young players will get better with more experience. The plain truth is that this doesn't always happen. In fact, it happens a lot less frequently than we would like to believe at the skill positions in sports.
Really, I'm not sure Urban has ever really developed a QB. We saw no real improvement with Tebow. Not sure about Alex Smith.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Really, I'm not sure Urban has ever really developed a QB. We saw no real improvement with Tebow. Not sure about Alex Smith.
I agree, but he is not the QB coach at OSU so I am not sure how much of that lies at his feet. Saban doesn't develop QBs either. He pays other people to do that for him.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I agree, but he is not the QB coach at OSU so I am not sure how much of that lies at his feet. Saban doesn't develop QBs either. He pays other people to do that for him.
True, but Meyer is known for his offense. Saban is known for defense.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
For those that question Jalen's deep ball ability, here's video the boy can throw.
I don't think anyone questions his arm strength. You can watch his HS highlights and see some deep throws. The questions (for me anyway) are about lack of accuracy beyond the LOS and the unwillingness to throw the ball to open WR's/TE's.

The lack of accuracy (I think and hope) is technical which can be corrected. Even when he stands in the pocket he does this little 'hop' move and seems to have indecisive body language causing throws to really miss the mark. Yet on some of his better plays... it's like he's maybe determined to throw to a certain guy (if open) and he plants and fires a rocket laser on the mark. But he rarely if ever 'throws a guy open' or trusts the timing of the route. He's waiting....waiting....waiting...

The unwillingness to throw part I'm really not sure. I get than CNS and/or CLK may have drilled into him to be cautious. But CNS has taken that approach with every starting QB. Right now Jalen seems a little TOO cautious. I lost count of how many times last year we had a WR or TE not just open but WIDE OPEN flailing their hands begging to be thrown the ball..... and Jalen just would not throw the ball. He either pulled it and ran for yards or tried to get towards the sideline and throw it away.

Remember that series earlier in the year where this was 1st happening and CNS went BALLISTIC on the sideline. It was a MAJOR 'chewing' towards Jalen. Then 1-2 plays later Stewart was open and Jalen made the throw to him. But CNS never went off like this again the rest of the year that I remember. Maybe CNS needs to yell some more and more often. *not sure if should be blue*

Anyway it's obvious Jalen has a talented arm. But he also definitely needs some private QB coaching on Technique and Reading defenses and Trusting route timing. He's gotta find some Moxie too. I love that he's calm and cool but he needs to sprinkle in a little bit of QB Gunslinger confidence. Not recklessness or throwing into double/triple coverage.....but if you have a guy in man coverage and your guy (WR or TE) has beat his man or flat whipped him to get open.....Throw it.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Remember that series earlier in the year where this was 1st happening and CNS went BALLISTIC on the sideline. It was a MAJOR 'chewing' towards Jalen. Then 1-2 plays later Stewart was open and Jalen made the throw to him. But CNS never went off like this again the rest of the year that I remember. Maybe CNS needs to yell some more and more often. *not sure if should be blue*
I have an extremely warped sense of humor. Watching those sort of sideline exchanges are, sometimes, the best part of the game!

So, yes, I could stand to watch some more.

But, CNS forgets more, in one day, than I will know, in a lifetime.

So, in answer to your question: no, should not be in blue.

More "chewings" are better than more cowbell. I hate cowbells.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I don't think anyone questions his arm strength. You can watch his HS highlights and see some deep throws. The questions (for me anyway) are about lack of accuracy beyond the LOS and the unwillingness to throw the ball to open WR's/TE's.

The lack of accuracy (I think and hope) is technical which can be corrected. Even when he stands in the pocket he does this little 'hop' move and seems to have indecisive body language causing throws to really miss the mark. Yet on some of his better plays... it's like he's maybe determined to throw to a certain guy (if open) and he plants and fires a rocket laser on the mark. But he rarely if ever 'throws a guy open' or trusts the timing of the route. He's waiting....waiting....waiting...

The unwillingness to throw part I'm really not sure. I get than CNS and/or CLK may have drilled into him to be cautious. But CNS has taken that approach with every starting QB. Right now Jalen seems a little TOO cautious. I lost count of how many times last year we had a WR or TE not just open but WIDE OPEN flailing their hands begging to be thrown the ball..... and Jalen just would not throw the ball. He either pulled it and ran for yards or tried to get towards the sideline and throw it away.

Anyway it's obvious Jalen has a talented arm. But he also definitely needs some private QB coaching on Technique and Reading defenses and Trusting route timing. He's gotta find some Moxie too. I love that he's calm and cool but he needs to sprinkle in a little bit of QB Gunslinger confidence. Not recklessness or throwing into double/triple coverage.....but if you have a guy in man coverage and your guy (WR or TE) has beat his man or flat whipped him to get open.....Throw it.
My recollection of last year's spring game is that Jalen was throwing the ball to anything that moved. I got to believe that the huge change during the season of him being so hesitant to throw the ball was a result of him being constantly drilled not to turn the ball over. In fact the staff would not even let him throw the into the middle of the field. I think those are the reasons he became so gunshy.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
For those that question Jalen's deep ball ability, here's video the boy can throw.
He showed that ability against USC in the opener, but he wilted down the stretch when it came to eluding the pass rush and accuracy. I don't think anyone that's serious has questioned his arm strength.

I love the kid, but he has lots of room for development. I actually think he will get better in a more conservative O.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Nobody questions Jalen's arm strength. Or calmness under pressure. Or work ethic. Or physical strength. Or any of a lot of other strong points.

The question is whether he can consistently complete a 5 - 15 yard pass between the numbers against a championship-caliber defense. Right now, the answer is, "No." Ask LSU or Clemson defenses if you don't believe me.

We can debate why that is until hell freezes over. But as far as it relates to championships, "why" really doesn't matter. What matters is whether it changes.

We'll have a real good idea if it has in the first game -- FSU in Atlanta. They will dare him to complete passes he couldn't complete against top-flight defenses in 2016...stacking the line and edges, leaving the middle open until he proves he can exploit it.

With our talent, we'll win 9 or 10 games regardless. Banners will require Hurts to develop. The truth is, nobody knows whether he can or can't. Six months from now, we'll have a really good
indication.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Nobody questions Jalen's arm strength. Or calmness under pressure. Or work ethic. Or physical strength. Or any of a lot of other strong points.

The question is whether he can consistently complete a 5 - 15 yard pass between the numbers against a championship-caliber defense. Right now, the answer is, "No." Ask LSU or Clemson defenses if you don't believe me.

We can debate why that is until hell freezes over. But as far as it relates to championships, "why" really doesn't matter. What matters is whether it changes.

We'll have a real good idea if it has in the first game -- FSU in Atlanta. They will dare him to complete passes he couldn't complete against top-flight defenses in 2016...stacking the line and edges, leaving the middle open until he proves he can exploit it.

With our talent, we'll win 9 or 10 games regardless. Banners will require Hurts to develop. The truth is, nobody knows whether he can or can't. Six months from now, we'll have a really good
indication.
That`s assuming, of course, that Jalen doesn`t show a continued problem regarding an ability to throw over the middle and someone else appears better at it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.