Bama - jsu

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Goff is a joke and in WAY over his head! In his first act our new AD needs to realize Battle made a big ... mistake AND pull a 1980's Steinbrenner and relieve him of his duties. Our kids deserve a hell of a lot better in all aspects....

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Thanks for the updates guys. I was sure we would be around 6-2 worse case by now. This is not a good sign for the rest of the season. I see they started a guy with a 7.50 era so very disappointing we could not hit this guy.How good is Monroe we need a sweep in a bad way but definitely got to get two. It is very discouraging when we can't put good teams on the diamond and the the basketball court as we do on the gridiron every year . Getting to the dance and the regionals every year should not be a problem.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Thanks for the updates guys. I was sure we would be around 6-2 worse case by now. This is not a good sign for the rest of the season. I see they started a guy with a 7.50 era so very disappointing we could not hit this guy.How good is Monroe we need a sweep in a bad way but definitely got to get two. It is very discouraging when we can't put good teams on the diamond and the the basketball court as we do on the gridiron every year . Getting to the dance and the regionals every year should not be a problem.
Monroe starts a pretty good pitcher Friday night. Knowing kids on the team, they are frustrated! They are a much better offensive team than they are showing. I believe for the most part the right kids are in the lineup. They just need a game in which they get double digit hits, score 7+ runs and have fun. The losses add up and take a toll on the kids and the coaching staff.

I made it known I don't think Goff is the right man. However, at the end of the day I support the kids..,.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
You do not know that he is over his head. Gaspard left very little talent in Tuscaloosa. That is who you need to blame.
Goff is a joke and in WAY over his head! In his first act our new AD needs to realize Battle made a big ... mistake AND pull a 1980's Steinbrenner and relieve him of his duties. Our kids deserve a hell of a lot better in all aspects....

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
We do not have one. Gaspard recruited no one of any quality at that position the last 2 years.
We got to find a catcher. Webb just cost us a run and possibly the game. Couldn't block one in the dirt and then can catch an "intentional walk" toss.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Goff has coached 8 games with Gaspard's leftovers. Judging him right now is not exactly fair. And this team is void of talent in many areas.
Monroe starts a pretty good pitcher Friday night. Knowing kids on the team, they are frustrated! They are a much better offensive team than they are showing. I believe for the most part the right kids are in the lineup. They just need a game in which they get double digit hits, score 7+ runs and have fun. The losses add up and take a toll on the kids and the coaching staff.

I made it known I don't think Goff is the right man. However, at the end of the day I support the kids..,.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Hard to compare basketball and baseball with football in Tuscaloosa. 2 different worlds.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Hey, I agree. The baseball program is suffering from about 10 years of non action by the administration concerning facilities ( which has finally been corrected) and leaving Mitch Gaspard in charge about 3 years too long. Not to mention the lottery scholarships Bama does not have. And I never thought I would see Bama going to one NCAA basketball tourney in 11 years with what I grew up with- but times have definitely changed- and not for the better.
I agree but my point is simply that we should be competitive in all sports and not just average or below average.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
That was just sad to listen to. And look, I am not running down Jax State. They usually have a good program in the OVC, but they do not have a $40 million dollar brickpile and our head coach probably makes more than their staff.

So being optimistic, I am just going to assume that xCMG sucked the life out of the program totally and go on from there. This year we will most likely have our worst win-loss record in two decades and there's no telling how long it will take for us to get back to being competitive.

I get so tired of this kind of thing. We have had two games where we put runs together, a couple of so so games, and a few where it was painful to watch. Eight games in and I wish it was already over.

rtr

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
That was just sad to listen to. And look, I am not running down Jax State. They usually have a good program in the OVC, but they do not have a $40 million dollar brickpile and our head coach probably makes more than their staff.

So being optimistic, I am just going to assume that xCMG sucked the life out of the program totally and go on from there. This year we will most likely have our worst win-loss record in two decades and there's no telling how long it will take for us to get back to being competitive.

I get so tired of this kind of thing. We have had two games where we put runs together, a couple of so so games, and a few where it was painful to watch. Eight games in and I wish it was already over.

rtr
Yea, that is the best I can tell also. Granted it almost has the appearance they are trying to figure some guys out. I know they are new and all and the players are new to them, so hopefully they will have it figured out soon. Not sure it will completely matter in the end. Time will tell. I do know that recruiting college baseball is not an easy job as the draft robs your program and then others just don't pan out. But, lets look at UF and see what they do, they manage to get guys on campus, but their coach was already a major proven commodity. Goff will have to make that name for himself at a major school or risk being thrown on the junk pile in 2-3 years. Unfortunately, at that point if he isn't successful, the new stadium wears off and ....

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Goff has coached 8 games with Gaspard's leftovers. Judging him right now is not exactly fair. And this team is void of talent in many areas.
I think we do have more talent than you think. Doing some research, Webb was the top catcher coming out of HS in the state of Tennessee. DeVinny was all state in HS (TX) 3 years and freshman all B12 at K-St before transferring. Other positions are the same way. Regardless the defensive lapses need to be addressed.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

rtr
I agree it was time for CMG to go. However, Goff is doing a pretty good job of demoralizing, beating down and sucking the air out of the sails as well. I''ll stand behind my comments/opinion as it comes right from folks in the dug out. Goff is mentally abusive and I wouldn't let my kid play for him. I feel for the kids b/c unless you are one of his 3 or 4 'chosen ones', the game is not fun right now.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Remember, these kids signed up to play for Gaspard, who was not exactly known as being a disciplinarian or a stickler for things. In comes Goff who's pretty much the antithesis of Gaspard in that aspect and I'm sure some of these players are experiencing a bit of a culture shock.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
And just think- LSU, Vandy, Florida, South Carolina and Texas A & M await- along with Ole Miss.

rtr

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Florida also has lotto scholarships- and we do not. An obstacle that may never go away in this state.
Yea, that is the best I can tell also. Granted it almost has the appearance they are trying to figure some guys out. I know they are new and all and the players are new to them, so hopefully they will have it figured out soon. Not sure it will completely matter in the end. Time will tell. I do know that recruiting college baseball is not an easy job as the draft robs your program and then others just don't pan out. But, lets look at UF and see what they do, they manage to get guys on campus, but their coach was already a major proven commodity. Goff will have to make that name for himself at a major school or risk being thrown on the junk pile in 2-3 years. Unfortunately, at that point if he isn't successful, the new stadium wears off and ....

bamaguy333

Feb 26, 2017
First time to post. I generally read post to keep up with sports, but would like to educate fans on scholarship issue in baseball at UA. The main issue is the university does not waive out of state tuition unless student/athlete is a Merit scholar or Presidential scholar. In my experience, I have not seen many presidential scholarship athletes that can win at this level. Look at the cost of attendance @UA for out of state. This is why there has been a roster of in-state players, and yes these kids have been the best in this state. AL is not among the top baseball states to recruit players from. In the 90's, the playing field was pretty level until lotteries helped most SEC teams and tuition hikes have made recruiting tough for UA in baseball. UA is a true 11.7 v 20+ scholarships for others in SEC. Look at FL roster, mostly in-state FL kids, LSU the same, good baseball state, have lottery too. The private schools can do all sorts of things that public schools cannot. Mississippi, LA, ARK all have bordering state waivers of out of state tuition so to clarify its cheaper to attend. Yes, you can also throw South AL and Troy in the mix, cheaper to attend. Wells was not ready to retire but knew thing would not change in scholarships and poor facility. Gaspard had a winning record with hands tied behind his back, no practice field for fall of 2014, home games in Hoover 2015. UA should have hosted Clemson in super regional 2010, UA was higher seed, but administration did not put in a bid to host. I know as a fan, I want to win in all sports but some just are not on a level playing field. I hope UA bsb does not turn into AU bsb (2005 to present). This job was turned down by East Carolina coach, just like basketball job was turned down by Wichita State coach. Easier to get in NCAA tournament at those schools.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
If half of the mental abuse thing is even remotely true then Goff will not be in Tuscaloosa long. But I agree that the players may be adjusting to a different style than Gaspard. Have no information on that at all. Some pretty strong comments and accusations there.
I agree it was time for CMG to go. However, Goff is doing a pretty good job of demoralizing, beating down and sucking the air out of the sails as well. I''ll stand behind my comments/opinion as it comes right from folks in the dug out. Goff is mentally abusive and I wouldn't let my kid play for him. I feel for the kids b/c unless you are one of his 3 or 4 'chosen ones', the game is not fun right now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.