NCAA Suspends Richmond Baseball Players Over Fantasy Football

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
My view of this w/o knowing anymore of the circumstances is that the NCAA is like a lazy policeman (IMHO) who sits at the edge of the one-light city limits on a busy highway and, while ignoring all the crime taking place inside the city, writes tickets all day long for people doing 50 in a 45 mph zone ... because it's just so much easier than actual enforcement, intervention, etc. Occasionally one of the people stopped for minor speeding will be a murderer or other serious crime offender (due to the law of large numbers) and he'll beat his chest about how effective he is in stopping crime.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Oops

Posted here before realizing it may not belong here - mods plz move if if you need to

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
"NCAA opposes all forms of gambling..."

Yet, we (the NCAA) will ignore all the other bad behaviors athletes and coaches engage in, we'll make them play too many games during the season and have too many commercials during the games, etc etc etc so WE can make money to pay all our staff. AND, we'll make stupid statements like "they were looking down the barrel of a loaded gun" whenever Alabama is involved in the discussion.

I have ZERO love or respect for the NCAA and the pointy headed morons who run it.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
"NCAA opposes all forms of gambling..."

Yet, we (the NCAA) will ignore all the other bad behaviors athletes and coaches engage in, we'll make them play too many games during the season and have too many commercials during the games, etc etc etc so WE can make money to pay all our staff. AND, we'll make stupid statements like "they were looking down the barrel of a loaded gun" whenever Alabama is involved in the discussion.

I have ZERO love or respect for the NCAA and the pointy headed morons who run it.

C'mon, Brett, tell us how you really feel!
:biggrin2:

BTW, a complete aside but you'll appreciate this since you know my dad... Back in high school I learned - despite my lack of talent - to draw the pointy-haired boss fairly well so I could randomly leave messages from my dad, as the PHB without the points, on the blackboards at his school.
:biggrin:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Preposterous that a fantasy league between teammates friends could result in suspension. Bad look for the NCAA.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From what I can tell this isn't because they played fantasy football. It's because they played fantasy football with money up for grabs. Remember, we've seen coaches get in trouble for participating in a March Madness pool with money involved.

Looks to be similar.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
From what I can tell this isn't because they played fantasy football. It's because they played fantasy football with money up for grabs. Remember, we've seen coaches get in trouble for participating in a March Madness pool with money involved.

Looks to be similar.
Agreed - I worked for a company that didn't allow gambling between employees of any kind. When one office ran a Super Bowl box, the office manager was fired and every participant disciplined. The boxes were only $5, but it still violated the policy.

I am not sure that I agree with this type of enforcement, but understand why rules like this are put in place. College sports have suffered from sports betting scandals in the past.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I generally agree with you on the specifics of the case (and for violating any law in general). The problem I have is the severity of the punishment here relative to what we all know happens ALL THE TIME in collegiate athletics and NCAA enforcement (or lack thereof).

You might have guessed I'm still not over the raw deal we were handed in the 2000's relative to a certain cow college's non-penalty this decade (and many other examples over the last 15 years) :D

They broke a known rule - having a hard time getting torn up over this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I generally agree with you on the specifics of the case (and for violating any law in general). The problem I have is the severity of the punishment here relative to what we all know happens ALL THE TIME in collegiate athletics and NCAA enforcement (or lack thereof).

You might have guessed I'm still not over the raw deal we were handed in the 2000's relative to a certain cow college's non-penalty this decade (and many other examples over the last 15 years) :D
Do we know the punishment, though? They are suspended until the investigation ends, which is typical protocol.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Agreed - I worked for a company that didn't allow gambling between employees of any kind. When one office ran a Super Bowl box, the office manager was fired and every participant disciplined. The boxes were only $5, but it still violated the policy.

I am not sure that I agree with this type of enforcement, but understand why rules like this are put in place. College sports have suffered from sports betting scandals in the past.
I worked for a company that banned betting (gambling) of all kinds. Eh, ahem, EXCEPT we were encouraged to buy their company stock (through the company) and "bet" it would go up in the stock market.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.