News Article: Alabama Adds Chris Weinke to Staff (Offensive Analyst)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If we're going to judge coaches (or in this case analysts) by the production and not the situation, we'd all have to agree Daboll is a terrible OC right? I mean he had horrible offenses, but perhaps the teams and personnel had something to do with it.
Agreed. Some seem to think if the team/player is bad the coach is bad and can't coach. Jeff Fisher was a NFL head coach for almost 20 years and I would not say he is a bad coach. Not very logical.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
He was the Head Coach at IMG...The wave of the future in high school athletics and a HS football factory...and he was in The League! (Coach and player)...Oh yeah, that little thing called The Heisman Trophy isn't going to discourage recruits either! Not sure where you're coming from here?
The Rams, mostly. I guess it's possible they busted completely on Goff, time will tell. That's why I referenced the NFL.

Every move Coach Saban makes or every hire he makes, he's thinking of possible situations in the future, how the hires right now will help offset those future situations & Crimson Tide Football keeps rolling along like a well oiled machine..

Coach Saban is the best HC of this generation & possible the absolute best college HC to ever walk a college sideline for a reason..I'll never question the man when it comes to our Crimson Tide Football..He's got this..
Of course I trust him. With CNS, it's never about the optics. :)

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Anytime I see or hear Chris Weinke's name I immediately think of his SICK play-action passes. The guy would sneakily drift back all non-nonchalant with the ball hid REALLY well.....then BAM he spun around and in Houdini-like fashion magically still had the ball and proceeded to sling a bomb to a usually wide open FSU WR for a TD.

Not sure about his QB coaching or 'offensive' coaching abilities but the guy was a GREAT College QB.
That was vivid

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Anytime I see or hear Chris Weinke's name I immediately think of his SICK play-action passes. The guy would sneakily drift back all non-nonchalant with the ball hid REALLY well.....then BAM he spun around and in Houdini-like fashion magically still had the ball and proceeded to sling a bomb to a usually wide open FSU WR for a TD.

Not sure about his QB coaching or 'offensive' coaching abilities but the guy was a GREAT College QB.
I like the hire, and think he's clearly the 10th coach-in waiting. Not many remember that he almost came to Alabama out of high school, but opted for professional baseball. He was in his mid to late 20s when he won the Heisman at FSU. So while I'm sure FSU is "home" to him, Alabama isn't strange territory.

He was a fine technician in college, and your illustration of ball-handling skills is a great example. That said, execution as you described requires a backfield clear of the opposing rushers. Are you listening, Mr. Key?

A bit off the Weinke topic, but I think Brent Key is feeling the most pressure of any member of the staff. With the notable exceptions of Ryan Kelly and Jonah Williams, the OL has underperformed talent for a few years now, and it's his job to fix that. With the departure of Cristobal, Key has control of all five positions. It's put up time.

Last edited:

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
I like the hire too, the rams were head coach conservative and historically plagued by poor line play, though I admittingly watched little NFL last season

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I like the hire, and think he's clearly the 10th coach-in waiting. Not many remember that he almost came to Alabama out of high school, but opted for professional baseball. He was in his mid to late 20s when he won the Heisman at FSU. So while I'm sure FSU is "home" to him, Alabama isn't strange territory.

He was a fine technician in college, and your illustration of ball-handling skills is a great example. That said, execution as you described requires a backfield clear of the opposing rushers. Are you listening, Mr. Key?

A bit off the Weinke topic, but I think Chad Key is feeling the most pressure of any member of the staff. With the notable exceptions of Ryan Kelly and Jonah Williams, the OL has underperformed talent for a few years now, and it's his job to fix that. With the departure of Cristobal, Key has control of all five positions. It's put up time.
Do you mean Brent Key? Didn't know Chad Key came back to coach. Wasn't he a WR for Bama back around the early 90's?

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If we're going to judge coaches (or in this case analysts) by the production and not the situation, we'd all have to agree Daboll is a terrible OC right? I mean he had horrible offenses, but perhaps the teams and personnel had something to do with it.
Fair enough, I like that point. I'm not opposed to the addition, it's another high caliber, and quality ball minded assistance that will in one way or another help our team succeed.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

A bit off the Weinke topic, but I think Chad Key is feeling the most pressure of any member of the staff. With the notable exceptions of Ryan Kelly and Jonah Williams, the OL has underperformed talent for a few years now, and it's his job to fix that. With the departure of Cristobal, Key has control of all five positions. It's put up time.
Yep, everything starts right there. That doesn`t happen, everything else in the offense becomes superfluous real fast. Although I think you meant Brent, Key is the key this season IMHO.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I read that Weinke got the job only because Clint Trickett (Coker former FSU teammate and fellow transfer) passed on the job to coach TE at FAU.
Not sure how accurate that is because Clint was going to be a GA while Weinke is going to be an analyst. Granted, they both were probably hired with the same intention - help the QBs.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

a strong running game with play action helps reduce the pass rush. If a DE knows we're just as likely to run versus pass in a given down/distance situation, and he see the play action, he has to play that first, which gives the QB more time.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Do you mean Brent Key? Didn't know Chad Key came back to coach. Wasn't he a WR for Bama back around the early 90's?
Yep, everything starts right there. That doesn`t happen, everything else in the offense becomes superfluous real fast. Although I think you meant Brent, Key is the key this season IMHO.
You're both right. I did mean Brent Key, and have fixed the post.

Brain freezes are becoming way too frequent.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
We could all use a little more Weinke.....

If you think that one was bad, here is one orders of magnitude worse:

"There is no Weinke in Wilmerding."

No one is going to get that obscure reference.

OK.............here are a few links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winky%27s
http://nickmarkowitz.blogspot.com/2013/04/theres-no-winkys-in-wilmerding-fall-of.html
http://reallyweirdplacenames.blogspot.com/2013/09/western-pennsylvania.html

Hey, it is the off-season...............

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.