Which Bama players had the coolest names?

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I know I'm not following the thread with respect to Bama players, but one Tennessee player just has to have the best name: Jim Bob Cooter aka James Robert Cooter. I think he's in coaching with Detroit now.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
So many Bama players with interesting names and nicknames over the years, many of them already named. A few that I've come across that I really liked and haven't seen mentioned above:

Young Boozer (my very favorite)
Jeff Blitz
Cecil Quick
Frank Savage
Elliot Speed
Roy Rumbley - what a great name for an OG!
C.P. Butcher

Some of those are pretty obscure, but were mentioned by oldtimers when I was a kid. Most unusual was Huriesco Austill, I knew a couple of members of that family which is where I heard the name. Some of those from another oldtimer and player himself, Gessner T. McCorvey, a one-time member of the board of trustees way back when.

By the way, Jalen Hurts isn't too shoddy as a football name is it? What a great name that would be for a linebacker....

Last edited:

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I remember in the mid '90s (I think) reading about a walk on named Marquis Forge; he had an incredible story. His was probably the coolest name for an Alabama player relative the number of snaps he played. I'd love to find that article again, and to know what happened to him; Google is no help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Riding tallest of all: Johnny Mack Brown.

Just watched him on TCM starring opposite Greta Garbo (!) in a silent film "A Woman of Affairs" (1928) with the more polite and pedestrian handle "John" Mack Brown before Hollywood reverted him to the "player" name with more bang.

Makes a most athletic move in the movie, by the way, jumping out a sixth-floor window. Alas, it's a suicidal leap, as Johnny Mack's conscience (in the movie) caught up with him as Garbo's husband - and a high-born British (!) thief.
Jeez man, spoiler alert! I still haven't caught up on the 1927 silent films yet. :wink:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.