Which Bama players had the coolest names?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

N AL Tider

1st Team
Jun 18, 2007
Sweet Home AL
May be a little biased here...but Freddie Roach.

Went to school with him...and when he hit someone hard or for a lose...the chant was YOU GOT ROACHED!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't read the previous 5 pages but the first name that came to me was MAJOR OGILVIE.

I loved watching that guy run the football and his cool cut off jersey inspired me to do the same when I was a kid!!!

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
May be a little biased here...but Freddie Roach.

Went to school with him...and when he hit someone hard or for a lose...the chant was YOU GOT ROACHED!
I went to school with his dad. Brooks Lions '78!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
These are all great, bring back lots of memories. But none of them have anything on J'Dinkalage Margoone.....or Dan Smith.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Well, he hardly played but who can forget Dee Liner
Liner? I barely know her!

I love the old timers. I may have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone mention Dixie Howell. (Although admittedly his name sounded more chorus girl than football player) Red Drew and Wallace Wade both sounds like they could have been on an old school detective tv show. The captain back on the 1926 team was Hoyt "Wu" Winslett, his qb was Red Barnes, and the center was Sherlock Holmes. Someone else said it as well, but Vaughn Mancha is as masculine of a name as has ever existed. Also, who can forget LEEEEEEROY JENKINS, err I mean, Lee Roy Jordan. (Some of you gamers might get that)

All you have to do is pull up the roster from any year within the 1920's-50's and you'll get some doozies. Love this thread btw. Mad props to the OP for coming up with this.

Last edited:

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
Alan Pizzatola
Lannie Norris
Bob Baumhower
Joe Dale Harris
Dave Garasimchuck (Coach Bryant always mangled that one)
Johnny Musso (my fave)
Robert Fraley
Colenzo Hubbard
Wayne Wheeler
Thad Flanagan (another fave)
Bucky Berrey
David McMakin
Clay Whitehurst
Tyrone Prothro

I could probably go on and on, I'm going from memory, but these were some great names.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
A few interesting/cool-ish names up through '61:

Friar Tuck, RB, '27
Wheeler Leeth, End, '41
Jug Jenkins, End, '51
Bimbo Melton, RB '51
Knute Rockne Christian, C, 1954
Candler Crim, QB, 1954
Cotton Clark, RB, '61(may have been mentioned before)

Slogood

Sep 27, 2016
Siran Stacey
Rory "I waxed the dude" Turner
The Italian Stallion (and anybody who wore 22...dare I say Gene Jelks?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
I havben't seen his up here yet, but we can go all Norse mythology with Derrick Oden (Odin).

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Always liked the name Woodrow Lowe

Sherman Williams is kinda plain but also kinda cool because it's so close to Sherwin Williams....The paint store.

Andrew Zow

Freddie Kitchens

John Parker Smith Jones Allen Thompson Wilson. I mean why stop at just 3 of the most common names on the face of the planet back-to-back-to-back?

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Always liked the names my dad threw around when I was growing up comparing players in the 70s to Johnny Musso, Bart Starr and Lee Roy Jordan saying he ain't no... Joe Namath was another he used but the name wasn't as cool as Joe was.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.