Which Bama players had the coolest names?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He wasn't a Tide player, but I always thought one of the coolest names ever was Sonny Sixkiller. That just sounds like a gunslinger, so it's fitting he was a QB.

Another name that to me just sounded like 'football player' was Tyrone McGriff, the last player Pittsburgh drafted in the 1980 draft, who was an All-Pro and then played in the USFL. (He died of heart attack at age 42 many years ago).

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I honestly think the very best name was Paul W. "Bear" Bryant.

Justification: 1) His Greatness, and 2) How many people have been named "Bryant" as a result of that awesomeness?

I don't know why I didn't name my son, Bryant. Too late now!

I want to see someone playing for Alabama who's name is Alabama! Future moms and dads, get busy working on that!

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
He wasn't a Tide player, but I always thought one of the coolest names ever was Sonny Sixkiller. That just sounds like a gunslinger, so it's fitting he was a QB.

Another name that to me just sounded like 'football player' was Tyrone McGriff, the last player Pittsburgh drafted in the 1980 draft, who was an All-Pro and then played in the USFL. (He died of heart attack at age 42 many years ago).

Gimme Rich Wingo.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The two guys whose name popped into my head when I first saw this thread were.....

(Cyrus and Arie Kouandjio)

Also how about AMARI Cooper, and ArDARIUS Stewart, and OJ Howard ? Those are some really magnificent names for fast receivers!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Sat in the stands (and drank bourbon out of the bottle!) in Knoxville with Biscuit's Mom & Grandpa back in '86. We were I think #2 at the time. We beat the stuffing out of the Vols that day...Great Memory, GREAT game! That's part of the reason that "Biscuit" is and will always be my #1! Great family!!!

As far as nicknames go..It doesn't get much cooler than "Biscuit"..Great player & everyone loves "Biscuit"..

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
I like the name Carson Tinker.
Also, a note of history from Wikipedia with a cool name for a Bama player. "Foots Clements" was the Team Captain for the 1930 season Rose Bowl when we defeated Washington State 24-0 and were National Champions by several ratings (Wiki). Foots was a tackle who wore size 14 shoes.
Wiki on the team's season.
"In April 1930, coach Wade announced his resignation effective at the end of the 1930 season, and his last Alabama team might have been his best. For psychological effect, Wade routinely started games with his second team, and the backups never allowed a point.[SUP][2][/SUP] The first team defense only allowed the opposition to score 13 points over the course of the season en route to a 9–0 record."
Wow, wouldn't that have been fun to watch!! That was in my grandfather's day. He graduated from UA, not sure the year. He used to tell me about how he and some of his friends and associates would meet at one of the nice hotels in Montgomery and listen to the games together by radio. Must have been a lot of fun. Back then they would all be dressed in suits and their hats.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.