**** 2019 4* QB Paul Tyson Commits to Alabama ****

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Re: Coach Bryant's Great Grandson is a Potential Recruit at QB

I will really be disappointed if we don't make an effort to sign him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

My goodness, don`t know what to say except that this makes me feel old. I`m assuming that most of us " old guys" would like to see him come to Alabama for nostalgic reasons alone, much less how special it would be if he played. Who knows? This kid may turn out to be " the real deal ". A lot of me hopes so, regardless of where he goes. Talk about the circle of life! Roll Tide, young man!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

An ol Bama bud said to me yesterday, "I don't care if he can't take a snap...offer him"...
I know scholarships are valuable but it would almost be worth one.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

He should at least get some sort of legacy scholarship.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama

He should at least get some sort of legacy scholarship.
I suspect that a Bryant Scholarship will be made available if he doesn't recieve an athletic grant-in-aid. Exceptions have been made before and Bryant Scholarships given to other than the children of Coach Bryant's players and this would certainly be a case for such an exception.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If he's starting at Hewitt that's no little thing. Got the frame for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama

If he's starting at Hewitt that's no little thing. Got the frame for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
From what I've heard he's in the process of transferring there so probably wouldn't have found his niche as yet.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

As bama61 said he was not at Hewitt this past football season as he is transferring from Mountain Brook. Hewitt needs a new QB as their starter this year was Connor Adair who is a current Senior and was no joke himself so Hewitt needs a starting QB. Expect big stats as Hewitt is coached by a Gus Bus disciple. He's in a good spot to run those stats up and get his name out there for sure. Would be cool to see him at Bama.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

It would make for a great story if he came to Alabama to be our QB. He has to earn the scholarship though. I think he'd expect nothing more and I'm sure Coach Bryant would expect nothing less.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

Good bloodlines.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

If he gets the Bryant Schollie, then it is indeed a no-brainer... :cool2:

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

How could you not! I't sure wouldn't set well with me and a lot of others.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

Well, for starters, it's not known yet if he's good enough to warrant offering a scholarship.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama

I suspect that with Coach Saban those concerns will rank right below the media's desire for a depth chart. I'm afraid if Paul Bryant Tyson wants an Alabama grant-in-aid he'll have to earn it. I'm not convinced that our coach would give his own great grandson a scholarship if it wasn't earned. On the other side of the coin, I believe young PB Tyson will have every opportunity to earn a free ride and that if he doesn't get it, a Bryant scholarship will be made available for him should he want to walk on.

Further, I suspect his great grandfather would have handled it the same way. The Bryant I saw come in at Bama in 1958 was big on providing opportunities, but wasn't much on giving anything that wasn't earned.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I'm not sure I'd want to walk into a situation where I'm the great grandson of the equivalent of Jesus. The potential distraction and pressure on this young man would be enormous. If Coach Saban decides to offer and he decides to accept. Then great. But he'd be walking into a pressure cooker of expectations much greater than the average recruit.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama

I'm not sure I'd want to walk into a situation where I'm the great grandson of the equivalent of Jesus. The potential distraction and pressure on this young man would be enormous. If Coach Saban decides to offer and he decides to accept. Then great. But he'd be walking into a pressure cooker of expectations much greater than the average recruit.
Personally I agree with all you say. Before there's any problem though he'll have to earn the offer then, and only then, does he have the problem. If the kid earns the offer, I suspect it's going to be a damn tough decision. Guess the outcome in that case will be how much he likes a challenge, won't it?

Actually I'm not sure that the pressure would be that much less if he was offered and accepted a Bryant scholarship. Admittedly though two years though is a pretty good cooling off period and a lot of fans would probably forget about him in that time span.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Some people thrive on pressure though. Just look at A.J. McCarron, he knew what would come with committing to be the QB at Bama and he accepted all that pressure and became one of the best we ever had. I'm sure this kid has heard the hype his whole life, but at this point it's too early to tell if he doesn't mind it or if he welcomes it

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I wouldn't want to give him a football scholarship just because he is Coach Bryant's great-grandson. If the trustees of the Bryant fund want to give him one, that's fine with me. But a football scholarship is a precious commodity and I don't think it should be handed out because you have Bryant's DNA in your system.

If he wants to come here and can help the team, that's great. But we have no idea what our QB situation will be then so speculating about a 2019 signee is just fantasy at this point.

I don't think the pressure will be all that bad if he does come here. Yes, he will attract a lot of media attention, but the fact he'd be sitting on the bench for a couple years will help the hoopla die down. Hurts will be a senior his freshman year and Tua a junior or redshirt sophomore. His name not being Bryant will probably help some as well. Also, we are talking about a man he never met who died long before he was even born. Of course, I'm not him but he has known who his famous relative is all life so he is probably used to it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.