Yahoo: Tim Williams admits failing multiple drug tests at UA

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If the coach say's "Don't smoke pot", then don't smoke pot. If you do, then get your butt off the team.
I don't care what the legalities should be, may be, or may happen to be. If the coach say's the team rule is, "Don't smoke pot", and you do, then goodbye.
I could care less about legalize this or legalize that. If the coach say's don't do it, and you do, then you're not going to be a team player in a critical championship situation.
Bryant suspended the best QB we'll ever have because he broke a team rule heading into the Sugar Bowl.
He didn't give a crap about the "legality" of drinking in a bar. He didn't give a crap if the fans drank in a bar, and he didn't care if, at one time in their life they drove home drunk. He knew if he let Namath slide, that he'd lose the rest of the team.
He suspended Namath because he told the players, "Don't drink in a bar", and he did. That simple.
Tim is going to lose a bunch of money over this. Cam probably will too. And while I feel for them both....yeah...they deserve it, period.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Argue amongst yourself about the societal good (evil) of weed.

The bigger issue to me as it relates to Alabama is that players KNOW what the rules are and violate them. Why do they do this? This is what troubles me. This isn't the popular "kids being kids" argument that some of y'all take. These guys KNOW they will be drug tested at some point. So, apparently the consequences of the first couple times of failure aren't strong enough to change behavior.

They're coming from a generation and culture that doesn't really respect authority. At Alabama, have we redefined the concept of authority so that those who don't respect it aren't punished as much as might like? Have we redefined how we feel about "a little" weed puffing? Bad decisions lead to more bad decisions. None of this really matters much (amongst the weed puffing crowd or otherwise).

More importantly, they are disrespecting Coach Saban. THAT does concern me.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Do you ever wonder that maybe Coach Saban doesn't care about weed himself? I'm certain he doesn't smoke it but maybe he knows it's among the least of people's problems.

For me as a fan, this is a complete non-issue. Sure, you should not break the law but sometimes laws are stupid. If there are laws that I think are stupid I do not obey them but I readily accept the consequences. I'll bet any of you who drive, break the law in some way every single day for the same reasons. Maybe Tim was ok with the consequences. If CNS decided to handle this issue in-house, who cares? There are lots of players at every school who get into trouble and the discipline is handled in-house. Why would anyone care so much what others think of UA or its players?

I'm not a hippy, I almost always vote conservatively. I am thrilled that Trump is our President but get used to it... weed will be legalized one day everywhere whether you like it or not. It's a plant. It's easy to grow and can grow in most places. It does no harm naturally and no one in the history of this world has ever died from an overdose of it. I have seen it cure peoples' brain cancer, seen my wife's rheumatoid arthritis go into remission and seen it allow severely disabled children to have something of a normal life. Making it illegal has been one of the biggest shams our government has ever been involved in.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Argue amongst yourself about the societal good (evil) of weed.

The bigger issue to me as it relates to Alabama is that players KNOW what the rules are and violate them. Why do they do this? This is what troubles me. This isn't the popular "kids being kids" argument that some of y'all take. These guys KNOW they will be drug tested at some point. So, apparently the consequences of the first couple times of failure aren't strong enough to change behavior.

They're coming from a generation and culture that doesn't really respect authority. At Alabama, have we redefined the concept of authority so that those who don't respect it aren't punished as much as might like? Have we redefined how we feel about "a little" weed puffing? Bad decisions lead to more bad decisions. None of this really matters much (amongst the weed puffing crowd or otherwise).

More importantly, they are disrespecting Coach Saban. THAT does concern me.
I think it all goes back to how a person is raised. There`s something missing.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
If the coach say's "Don't smoke pot", then don't smoke pot. If you do, then get your butt off the team.
I don't care what the legalities should be, may be, or may happen to be. If the coach say's the team rule is, "Don't smoke pot", and you do, then goodbye.
I could care less about legalize this or legalize that. If the coach say's don't do it, and you do, then you're not going to be a team player in a critical championship situation.
Bryant suspended the best QB we'll ever have because he broke a team rule heading into the Sugar Bowl.
He didn't give a crap about the "legality" of drinking in a bar. He didn't give a crap if the fans drank in a bar, and he didn't care if, at one time in their life they drove home drunk. He knew if he let Namath slide, that he'd lose the rest of the team.
He suspended Namath because he told the players, "Don't drink in a bar", and he did. That simple.
Tim is going to lose a bunch of money over this. Cam probably will too. And while I feel for them both....yeah...they deserve it, period.
That's why we let the coach handle it. We don't know what if any punishment was handed down. Evidently TW wasn't suspended from the team and I'm fine with it. The day that CNS listens to the fans about how to run his team and when to suspend a player, he may as well pack his bags because he's done lost his ability to coach.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I think it all goes back to how a person is raised. There`s something missing.
How you are raised has nothing to do with if you smoke pot. You make decisions that you know are going to affect your life either positively or negatively and if things go south, you have only yourself to blame. TW knew when he smoked weed that if he got caught, it would affect how much money he made in the NFL. During his time at the capstone I don't remember TW having a problem with penalties or forgetting the snap count.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Coach can do his best, but he's sharp enough to know that if he kicks every guy off his team for smoking weed, we'd look like Lehigh out there. You do the best you can and move on.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
If every player that smoked weed was suspended from D1 NCAA athletics, there probably wouldn't be enough left to play. I don't do it or agree with it, but it's the day in which we live.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We use him as an example because he's the easiest to pick out - how many times did Mark Richt kick guys off the team because they didn't listen to him even though they knew the punishment?

Saban talks about the program he incorporates to help guys with problems. Could he possibly help them get into a rehab facility to get better? I'm betting the answer is yes.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
We use him as an example because he's the easiest to pick out - how many times did Mark Richt kick guys off the team because they didn't listen to him even though they knew the punishment?

Saban talks about the program he incorporates to help guys with problems. Could he possibly help them get into a rehab facility to get better? I'm betting the answer is yes.
Rehab for pot? Seriously? You need to roll a big fat doobie, then you would say, "what's the big deal? I don't feel anything, no pink rabbits or anything."

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
That's why we let the coach handle it. We don't know what if any punishment was handed down. Evidently TW wasn't suspended from the team and I'm fine with it. The day that CNS listens to the fans about how to run his team and when to suspend a player, he may as well pack his bags because he's done lost his ability to coach.
If he failed in his first two years on campus we don't know, unless you have some inside knowledge, if he was suspended or not. Maybe thats why a guy with his talent did not see the field until his Junior year because he was punished. Tim never said he was not punished or when he failed the drug tests. I don't have a dog in the fight on legalizing wee or not just saying no one knows that he was never suspended. Weed is harmful to people with mental disorders. Research has shown that weed can trigger schizophrenia in people who are predisposed to the disease. This I have witnessed.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Pot rehab wouldn't be like heroin rehab, but the counseling vis a vis habituation could help.
My son was a senior in high school and told me he had tried pot a few times and didn't see any big deal with it other than it making him sleepy. I explained it to him the best I could. "The problem therein lies with the fact that pot is illegal and you are preparing yourself to join the work force. You will be randomly checked for drugs in your system and you will eventually get caught and get fired. If you don't do drugs then you are automatically a giant step ahead of everyone in the U.S. that is doing drugs." My son gave his buddies the same talk I gave him and it was like turning a light bulb on in their heads. None of them do drugs but most will suck the bottom out of a natural light.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I will say this, I'm actually pretty surprised that Coach Saban allowed TW to remain with the team for failing so many drug tests though.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
While I don't smoke pot, never have, and most likely never will - I don't understand the tizzy many people work themselves into over it.

I'm betting a large number of you guys, back in the day, would have fallen - hook, line, and sinker - for the tobacco industry's advertising of marijuana causing "murderous fits of rage, violent disrespectfulness, uncontrollable loss of morals, and spontaneous pregnancies".

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
While I don't smoke pot, never have, and most likely never will - I don't understand the tizzy many people work themselves into over it.

I'm betting a large number of you guys, back in the day, would have fallen - hook, line, and sinker - for the tobacco industry's advertising of marijuana causing "murderous fits of rage, violent disrespectfulness, uncontrollable loss of morals, and spontaneous pregnancies".
I remember in the 4th grade in 1958 they showed a film about a 17 yr. old smoking a joint and he spent the rest of his life in a mental institution screaming "HELP".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.