Narcissism and Leadership

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
"Narcissistic" has been used a good bit lately, so I thought I'd create this thread so we can discuss narcissism and its relationship to leadership. Apparently several reputable leaders (and several not so reputable leaders) have been narcissists.

https://hbr.org/2004/01/narcissistic-leaders-the-incredible-pros-the-inevitable-cons

Throughout history, narcissists have always emerged to inspire people and to shape the future. When military, religious, and political arenas dominated society, it was figures such as Napoléon Bonaparte, Mahatma Gandhi, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt who determined the social agenda. But from time to time, when business became the engine of social change, it, too, generated its share of narcissistic leaders. That was true at the beginning of this century, when men like Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, Thomas Edison, and Henry Ford exploited new technologies and restructured American industry. And I think it is true again today.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/11/14/the-most-narcissistic-u-s-presidents/

Forget Romeo and Juliet or Cleopatra and Marc Antony. At least when it comes to politics, one of the great love affairs of all time may have been between Lyndon Johnson and… himself.

Johnson leads the list of 42 presidents on measures of “grandiose narcissism,” according to a new
study by a team of psychologists published online by the journal Psychological Science.

Also near the top of presidents grandly infatuated with themselves were Teddy Roosevelt, Andrew Jackson, Franklin D. Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy. Bringing up the rear: Millard Fillmore, James Monroe, Grover Cleveland and Ulysses S. Grant.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Every leader I have ever known has had to go against the herd at some point in their career. I feel it is a vital trait in leaders.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Didn't have to read very far to get to the pertinent part of the article as it relates to our current president:

There’s certainly a dark side to narcissism—narcissists, Freud told us, are emotionally isolated and highly distrustful. They’re usually poor listeners and lack empathy. Perceived threats can trigger rage.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Yeah, it's common with strong leaders, and not just political leaders (Hello, Patton).

Glad to see Grover Cleveland near the bottom of the list. He's a favorite of mine.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Millard Fillmore as the least narcissistic of all time. And the one who ranks right at the baseline was William Henry Harrison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Donald Trump is the least narcissist of all time. Believe him. He's the greatest at being the least narcissist. Unless being a narcissist is a good thing in which case he's the most narcissist of all time. The greatest.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.