News Article: North Korea launches 4 more missiles; 3 land in Japanese waters

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Yes, I think in the chaos that would ensue once the shooting war restarted, a number of North Koreans might think, "This is my chance to get the heck out of here," and rush the Yalu.
Do you watch Vice? They had an episode on the North Koreans that defect to South Korea. It was pretty sad. They don't integrate at all. The world has passed them by. It would be like plucking someone out of the 1950's and dropping them in the middle of society today and telling them to get with it an contribute. It really would be a mess.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The truth is China only throws that crap around about refugees to deter the US from invading. China really only cares that there is a buffer between them and the US and SK military.

Would there be refugees?? Of course

Would there be massive numbers??? Well were there massive numbers in Vietnam or Afghanistan? No.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You make a good point. Maybe modern China doesn't want to go back there? IDK. Maybe not...
Possibly. I honestly have no idea. But my gut tells me that in a part of the world where the Chinese could control all media access, they'd do whatever they feel necessary, with few of the boundaries we'd normally assume a 'modern' country would adhere to.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Possibly. I honestly have no idea. But my gut tells me that in a part of the world where the Chinese could control all media access, they'd do whatever they feel necessary, with few of the boundaries we'd normally assume a 'modern' country would adhere to.
China is a weird political state. On one hand they believe in the communist regime, but they really love the benefits of capitalistic concepts.

I tend to think China wishes NK would stop this constant "sabre rattling", but they serve a geographic buffer between the US military. If another war actually broke out I think China would sit back and watch, but would strongly push for another regime to take power in NK instead of a unified Korean Peninsula.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Do you watch Vice? They had an episode on the North Koreans that defect to South Korea. It was pretty sad. They don't integrate at all. The world has passed them by. It would be like plucking someone out of the 1950's and dropping them in the middle of society today and telling them to get with it an contribute. It really would be a mess.
This certainly happened when the Berlin wall came down, to a much greater degree than most realize...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This certainly happened when the Berlin wall came down, to a much greater degree than most realize...
My German colleagues are always talking about the "Osi" ("Östlicher"). They have a terrible time getting work because their skills are so much lower and their work ethic has been ruined by life in the DDR. Only Communists could ruin a German's work ethic.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My German colleagues are always talking about the "Osi" ("Östlicher"). They have a terrible time getting work because their skills are so much lower and their work ethic has been ruined by life in the DDR. Only Communists could ruin a German's work ethic.
I have a friend here originally from the Rhineland. We used to belong to a Mardi Gras group together. Whenever we got together, she and I would speak German. She was going with, and eventually married, a Cajun guy, so I think it was a little relief to speak her native tongue. This was before the wall came down, when there were far, far fewer Flüchtlinge in Germany. She had some bitterness and made similar remarks about their work habits. Then she made a remark about speaking perfect German "by definition."

The wall - at the time, we had a German exchange student living with us and he watched the wall come down from our living room. He was exhilarated. I just told him that the results were still to be determined and the East had a lot of catching up to do. He was hearing none of it, cited the Zeiss optical works, etc. I even gave him an issue of Der Spiegel to read about it. Over the next few weeks, it became obvious that my fears were justified. When he left, the first thing he did was go missing from his folks' house and tour through the former DDR. He was a headstrong kid and his mother even called me from Germany to ask if he'd come back here. Well, the next year, he did come back, with a friend. About the East and the effects on the country, he just said "You were right. They (politicians) sold us a bill of goods."

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
UN Security Council imposes new sanctions on North Korea

United Nations (CNN)The United Nations Security Council on Saturday passed a resolution imposing new sanctions on North Korea for its continued intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) testing and violations of UN resolutions.
With 15 votes in favor, Resolution 2371 was passed unanimously.
The resolution targets North Korea's primary exports, including coal, iron, iron ore, lead, lead ore and seafood. The sanctions also target other revenue streams, such as banks and joint ventures with foreign companies.

The sanctions will slash North Korea's annual export revenue of $3 billion by more than a third, according to a statement from the office of Nikki Haley, the US ambassador to the United Nations.
The resolution represents "the strongest sanctions ever imposed in response to a ballistic missile test," the statement said.
The UN sanctions follow extra measures against North Korea signed into law by US President Donald Trump on Wednesday.
Surprisingly, both China and Russia voted for this.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/05/asia/north-korea-un-sanctions/index.html

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Re: UN Security Council imposes new sanctions on North Korea

Reasons we all worried about electing him to office.
Granted if this ends up in fisticuffs it was likely always destined to be that way based on the insistence of NK and Un. But still - Kim Jong Un is not Jeb Bush, you can't just browbeat him into submission until he looks like an accountant who once had a promising baseball career in college until he blew out his knee and lost his scholarship.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

We should have finished the first conflict with Korea better!

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Nothing will come of it. There are no good options and Trump is way in over his head.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

White House Press Release 6 Aug 1945
Harry Truman said:
Sixteen hours ago an American airplane dropped one bomb on Hiroshima, an important Japanese Army base. That bomb had more power than 20,000 tons of T.N.T. It had more than two thousand times the blast power of the British “Grand Slam” which is the largest bomb ever yet used in the history of warfare. The Japanese began the war from the air at Pearl Harbor. They have been repaid many fold. And the end is not yet. With this bomb we have now added a new and revolutionary increase in destruction to supplement the growing power of our armed forces. In their present form these bombs are now in production and even more powerful forms are in development. It is an atomic bomb. It is a harnessing of the basic power of the universe. The force from which the sun draws its power has been loosed against those who brought war to the Far East. ... We are now prepared to obliterate more rapidly and completely every productive enterprise the Japanese have above ground in any city. We shall destroy their docks, their factories, and their communications. Let there be no mistake; we shall completely destroy Japan’s power to make war. It was to spare the Japanese people from utter destruction that the ultimatum of July 26 was issued at Potsdam. Their leaders promptly rejected that ultimatum. If they do not now accept our terms they may expect a rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is a treatise on the effects of nuclear weapons. Warning, it's a 59 meg PDF download...

LINK

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.