News Article: North Korea launches 4 more missiles; 3 land in Japanese waters - Page 5
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

North Korea will be able to launch nuclear weapons next year, US officials warn

The Pentagon has said that North Korea will be able to field a nuclear-capable, intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) as soon as 2018.

The new timeline, coming from the Defence Intelligence Agency, is two years earlier than previous estimates.

The Washington Post has reported the new date is based on recent advancements observed during Pyongyang's latest test of missiles that could reach North America, specifically Alaska or Hawaii.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7859946.html
    Looks like Trump will follow the pattern of past presidents and do very little. But with this president, who knows and that is a scary scenario also. Are we screwed one way or the other?

Re: North Korea will be able to launch nuclear weapons next year, US officials warn

Another ICBM launch today.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Re: North Korea launches 4 more missiles; 3 land in Japanese waters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is going to be an issue sooner than later...

If the missile had been fired on a trajectory designed to maximize its range, it could have flown 6,500 miles, said David Wright, co-director of the Global Security Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists. This is without taking into account the rotation of the Earth, which increases the range of missiles fired to the east.

“Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago appear to be well within range of this missile, and that Boston and New York may be just within range,” Wright said. Washington may still be just out of range, he added.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.c1d274f1bb07
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    This is going to be an issue sooner than later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.c1d274f1bb07
    Glad DC is downwind from where I am.
    Depending on prevailing winds, Bamaro might have to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Glad DC is downwind from where I am.
    Depending on prevailing winds, Bamaro might have to move.
    You really think it gets to that point?

After reading this I suspect we drop the hammer before that ever happens...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    You really think it gets to that point?

After reading this I suspect we drop the hammer before that ever happens...
    I truly hope not, but successive administrations have kicked the can down the road, deciding not to decide, and here we are.
    The thing about ICBMs is that they reduce decision times to minutes.
    The US withdrew from the ABM Treaty in 2001, but I'm not sure the US has a deployed anti-missile system around DC (or NY), so NK launch = US city nuked, unless North Korean nuclear and rocket scientists are bad at their jobs and the missile malfunctions or the warhead is a dud. Hoping these scientists stink at their jobs is not a great method.

On the other hand, doing something pre-emptive will not be easy, will cause a lot of SK casualties and will generate criticisms and hand-wringing among the usual suspects.

I'm guessing that we will just have to learn to live with the knowledge that NK will soon be able to hit the continental US with nuclear tipped ICBMs. No one has stopped them in the past and I seriously doubt either China or Trump will do anything now. China doesn't seem to care and Trump is busy with other "more important" matters, not that he has good options.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I truly hope not, but successive administrations have kicked the can down the road, deciding not to decide, and here we are.
    Best case scenario, the US somehow manages to preemptively destroy all the NK offensive weapons. China and Russian sit on the sideline and watch it happen. Then, you have the worst humanitarian crisis in history. Worst case scenario you can't destroy all their weapons as fast as needed. Russian and China get involved. NK manages to destroy Seoul and the 11th ranked world economy and we have WWIII.

Neither best case or worst case is good. There are a huge range of scenarios between the best case and worst case that aren't good. I don't blame past administrations for making those decisions. The best and only option IMO would be for China to do something(which is what they all hoped for while kicking the can down the road.)
    Last edited by 2003TIDE; July 29th, 2017 at 10:34 AM.

BamaNation All-SEC

Does anyone think if say, the top 30 officials in NK died on the same day we may be able to use the chaos to our advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    I don't blame past administrations for making those decisions. The best and only option IMO would be for China to do something(which is what they all hoped for while kicking the can down the road.)
    I don't blame past administrations ether, except that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It is easy to tear down a sanctions regime. It is extremely difficult to re-erect one. It is also extraordinarily difficult to enforce a sanctions regime.

You can thank Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton for North Korea’s nukes
    Good thing we achieved an "an end to the threat of nuclear proliferation on the Korean Peninsula” back in 1994.