News Article: North Korea launches 4 more missiles; 3 land in Japanese waters - Page 7
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Re: North Korea launches 4 more missiles; 3 land in Japanese waters

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    They haven't started yet...
    They are being held at gun point at the moment. I think HSV was alluding to what would happen once the NK military fell.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    They are being held at gun point at the moment. I think HSV was alluding to what would happen once the NK military fell.
    Yes, I think in the chaos that would ensue once the shooting war restarted, a number of North Koreans might think, "This is my chance to get the heck out of here," and rush the Yalu.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Yes, I think in the chaos that would ensue once the shooting war restarted, a number of North Koreans might think, "This is my chance to get the heck out of here," and rush the Yalu.
    Do you watch Vice? They had an episode on the North Koreans that defect to South Korea. It was pretty sad. They don't integrate at all. The world has passed them by. It would be like plucking someone out of the 1950's and dropping them in the middle of society today and telling them to get with it an contribute. It really would be a mess.

As they would be if they tried to cross the Chinese border. You really think the Chinese wouldn't mow them down like overgrown grass?
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

As they would be if they tried to cross the Chinese border. You really think the Chinese wouldn't mow them down like overgrown grass?
    If the Chinese would mow down Chinese citizens, I don't think they would have a hard time mowing down North Koreans by the bushel.

You make a good point. Maybe modern China doesn't want to go back there? IDK. Maybe not...

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

The truth is China only throws that crap around about refugees to deter the US from invading. China really only cares that there is a buffer between them and the US and SK military.

Would there be refugees?? Of course

Would there be massive numbers??? Well were there massive numbers in Vietnam or Afghanistan? No.

You make a good point. Maybe modern China doesn't want to go back there? IDK. Maybe not...
    Possibly. I honestly have no idea. But my gut tells me that in a part of the world where the Chinese could control all media access, they'd do whatever they feel necessary, with few of the boundaries we'd normally assume a 'modern' country would adhere to.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Possibly. I honestly have no idea. But my gut tells me that in a part of the world where the Chinese could control all media access, they'd do whatever they feel necessary, with few of the boundaries we'd normally assume a 'modern' country would adhere to.
    China is a weird political state. On one hand they believe in the communist regime, but they really love the benefits of capitalistic concepts.

I tend to think China wishes NK would stop this constant "sabre rattling", but they serve a geographic buffer between the US military. If another war actually broke out I think China would sit back and watch, but would strongly push for another regime to take power in NK instead of a unified Korean Peninsula.

Do you watch Vice? They had an episode on the North Koreans that defect to South Korea. It was pretty sad. They don't integrate at all. The world has passed them by. It would be like plucking someone out of the 1950's and dropping them in the middle of society today and telling them to get with it an contribute. It really would be a mess.
    This certainly happened when the Berlin wall came down, to a much greater degree than most realize...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    This certainly happened when the Berlin wall came down, to a much greater degree than most realize...
    My German colleagues are always talking about the "Osi" ("Östlicher"). They have a terrible time getting work because their skills are so much lower and their work ethic has been ruined by life in the DDR. Only Communists could ruin a German's work ethic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    My German colleagues are always talking about the "Osi" ("Östlicher"). They have a terrible time getting work because their skills are so much lower and their work ethic has been ruined by life in the DDR. Only Communists could ruin a German's work ethic.
    I have a friend here originally from the Rhineland. We used to belong to a Mardi Gras group together. Whenever we got together, she and I would speak German. She was going with, and eventually married, a Cajun guy, so I think it was a little relief to speak her native tongue. This was before the wall came down, when there were far, far fewer Flüchtlinge in Germany. She had some bitterness and made similar remarks about their work habits. Then she made a remark about speaking perfect German "by definition."

The wall - at the time, we had a German exchange student living with us and he watched the wall come down from our living room. He was exhilarated. I just told him that the results were still to be determined and the East had a lot of catching up to do. He was hearing none of it, cited the Zeiss optical works, etc. I even gave him an issue of Der Spiegel to read about it. Over the next few weeks, it became obvious that my fears were justified. When he left, the first thing he did was go missing from his folks' house and tour through the former DDR. He was a headstrong kid and his mother even called me from Germany to ask if he'd come back here. Well, the next year, he did come back, with a friend. About the East and the effects on the country, he just said "You were right. They (politicians) sold us a bill of goods."
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

ThumbsUp UN Security Council imposes new sanctions on North Korea

United Nations (CNN)The United Nations Security Council on Saturday passed a resolution imposing new sanctions on North Korea for its continued intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) testing and violations of UN resolutions.
    With 15 votes in favor, Resolution 2371 was passed unanimously.
    The resolution targets North Korea's primary exports, including coal, iron, iron ore, lead, lead ore and seafood. The sanctions also target other revenue streams, such as banks and joint ventures with foreign companies.

The sanctions will slash North Korea's annual export revenue of $3 billion by more than a third, according to a statement from the office of Nikki Haley, the US ambassador to the United Nations.
    The resolution represents "the strongest sanctions ever imposed in response to a ballistic missile test," the statement said.
    The UN sanctions follow extra measures against North Korea signed into law by US President Donald Trump on Wednesday.
    Surprisingly, both China and Russia voted for this.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/05/asia/n...ons/index.html