News Article: North Korea launches 4 more missiles; 3 land in Japanese waters - Page 8
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Re: UN Security Council imposes new sanctions on North Korea

President Donald Trump issued an extraordinary ultimatum to North Korea on Tuesday warning Pyongyang not to make any more threats against the United States or they will "face fire and fury like the world has never seen," during a photo op at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey.
    Trump threatens North Korea after US assesses they have miniaturized a nuclear warhead

*sigh*
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Reasons we all worried about electing him to office.
    Granted if this ends up in fisticuffs it was likely always destined to be that way based on the insistence of NK and Un. But still - Kim Jong Un is not Jeb Bush, you can't just browbeat him into submission until he looks like an accountant who once had a promising baseball career in college until he blew out his knee and lost his scholarship.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar

We should have finished the first conflict with Korea better!

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    miniaturized a nuclear warhead[/b][/url]
    That just makes me think of this:

Nothing will come of it. There are no good options and Trump is way in over his head.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

White House Press Release 6 Aug 1945
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Truman
    Sixteen hours ago an American airplane dropped one bomb on Hiroshima, an important Japanese Army base. That bomb had more power than 20,000 tons of T.N.T. It had more than two thousand times the blast power of the British “Grand Slam” which is the largest bomb ever yet used in the history of warfare. The Japanese began the war from the air at Pearl Harbor. They have been repaid many fold. And the end is not yet. With this bomb we have now added a new and revolutionary increase in destruction to supplement the growing power of our armed forces. In their present form these bombs are now in production and even more powerful forms are in development. It is an atomic bomb. It is a harnessing of the basic power of the universe. The force from which the sun draws its power has been loosed against those who brought war to the Far East. ... We are now prepared to obliterate more rapidly and completely every productive enterprise the Japanese have above ground in any city. We shall destroy their docks, their factories, and their communications. Let there be no mistake; we shall completely destroy Japan’s power to make war. It was to spare the Japanese people from utter destruction that the ultimatum of July 26 was issued at Potsdam. Their leaders promptly rejected that ultimatum. If they do not now accept our terms they may expect a rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I see what you did there. Seems to run in the family...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I see what you did there. Seems to run in the family...
    I like Harry. Not perfect, but on balance I'd like to have him back just now.

This is a treatise on the effects of nuclear weapons. Warning, it's a 59 meg PDF download...

LINK
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I like Harry. Not perfect, but on balance I'd like to have him back just now.
    There are quite a few I'd have back...

Interesting read here...

Let’s be very clear: Every single move from this point forward represents a roll of the dice. Doing nothing could mean catastrophe. Doing something could mean catastrophe. No one who is on the outside, looking in, is privy to the intelligence necessary to know which gamble has the best odds. We don’t have the best information about the disposition of North Korean forces — for example, how many of their jets can fly, or how many of their tanks can move. We have no reliable information about the true state of mind or intentions in North Korean high command. We’re all guessing. Some guesses are more informed than others, some opinions are more intelligent than others, but our thoughts and ideas await the judgment of history.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Interesting read here...
    That's a tough read. I've also had the fear that NK will eventually use nukes, if they have them...

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Interesting read here...
    When you factor in the White House Chief Strategist's crackpot theory we are due for a "fourth turning" and a great war, it's pretty scary actually.