News Article: North Korea launches 4 more missiles; 3 land in Japanese waters

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
China wants SK under their thumb just as NK is. They covet SK tech and Intellectual Property.
not really. China is less of the boogeyman that they were under Mao. China would like a more reasonable NK, but not at the expense of having US troops on the Chinese border. They are more in the position that we were in during the Georgian Crisis in 2008 in which our "friends" (Georgians) poked the bear (Russia) and expected us to come and help when Russian tanks rolled in. The problem is the same in that the big ally has evolved from Cold War politics.

Why could we notbring out troops home from there? Would not be a bad trade for us

The ways wars are initially planned are against the same strategy they were previously. We are planning that the NKs would commit the majority of their army in a single surprise attack. The goal of the troops there is to slow them down, and don't fully give up the peninsula. The real force is in Japan, but its way easier to recapture half of a peninsula full of NKs than a whole peninsula.

China wants themaround to needle us. They will use them to attack us when they sprintThyudiclies Trap.

If China wanted to try to get us into a conflict that could possibly knock us off as the hegemon then they would do it further away from their doorstep, but they are incredibly unlikely to do it in the first place (at this point in time) because the US and Chinese economy are too tied at the hip to the point it would hurt them far worse than us

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Eventually Japan will shoot one down. Then we will see just how much NK wants to remain a country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Problem is that nukes aren't really the problem yet. Our hands are pretty much tied militarily because of the massive amount of conventional weapons pointed at Seoul and that goes back 20 years or more.
Yah, this problem has existed for decades, no question.

And while I believe that it's up to the oppressed to fight for their own freedom - it's not our business - it's stunning to me that there is still a country in 2017 that can be so oppressive, no controlling of media and thought. That China allows this to continue shows that the 'new, capitalistic China' is no different than it was 30 years ago. As long as fatboy kim and company can act as a buffer for China, they'll continue to allow his atrocious rule.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yah, this problem has existed for decades, no question.

And while I believe that it's up to the oppressed to fight for their own freedom - it's not our business - it's stunning to me that there is still a country in 2017 that can be so oppressive, no controlling of media and thought.
I think that is a cause not an effect. Nobody in North Korea rebels because they are fed a steady diet of "DPRK is great," "ROK is a lie," and "the US is evil and about to invade."
That China allows this to continue shows that the 'new, capitalistic China' is no different than it was 30 years ago. As long as fatboy kim and company can act as a buffer for China, they'll continue to allow his atrocious rule.
China is a bit different than they were 30 years ago. Today, they are making money hand over fist.
On the other side, the CCP allows absolutely no dissent. You can do pretty much whatever you want inside China as long as do not challenge the supremacy of the CCP (and as long as you grease the right palms). Want to dump carcinogenic chemicals into the river everyone gets drinking water out of? Fine, buy the environmental inspector off every so often, but never challenge the supremacy of the CCP.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Seoul, South Korea (CNN)North Korea carried out its most powerful nuclear test to date on Sunday, claiming to have developed an advanced hydrogen bomb that could sit atop an intercontinental ballistic missile.
The bomb used in the country's sixth-ever nuclear test sent tremors across the region that were 10 times more powerful than Pyongyang's previous test a year ago, Japanese officials said.
I think it just hit the fan. :eek2:

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think it just hit the fan. :eek2:
Man, I don't care for this one bit...

FWIW, if they have successfully done this, two things come timing:
1- they've had outside help - no way they could have miniaturized this so quickly, and
2- you were correct. I never thought we'd see this happen so fast, but it appears they did.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
A shame the Cajun Navy doesn't have planes.

Kidding aside. China ought to help us step-up and do something.

And Trump isnt going to come out of this good at all. Those who love him, he'll be seen as not aggressive enough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
We've been kicking this can down the road for 25 years and are about to run out of road. For better or for worse this is now going to be Trump's to deal with. He will have to decide if we want to live with a NK with thermonuclear weapons and the ability to hit major US cities with them or not. Time has run out. By the end of his term they will be able to do it.:frown:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I do not know.
The US position has shifted from "we will not allow NK to get nukes," to "we will not allow NK to get nukes and the means to deliver them to the US." It might shift again to "we will use mutual assured destruction to ensure NK never uses their nukes."

The latter position is not as safe for the US and their allies as the latter, but the alternative (pre-emptive strikes) will get tens of thousands of South Koreans killed. Plus, do we simply strike NK's nuclear delivery capability and leave the regime in place or do we remove the regime? And we do not know how the Russkies and the Chinese will react to a pre-emptive strike on NK.

My bet is on shifting to the latter position ("we will remove you from the map if you use a nuke") and leaving it be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.