What are your impressions so far?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
We have Jake and who else that can pitch against SEC schools? Duarte threw 79 pitches yesterday in 3.2 innings. It looks like we have some relief pitching, and boy, we are going to need it, but dang, I am very concerned about pretty much everything I have seen with this team so far.

We have 7-8 games to show some improvement before Missouri comes in. Is there any hope for this bunch?

rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I agree about the starting pitching but, average starting pitching with a solid bullpen can be enough to get us to a regional. The KC Royal proved 2 years ago you can make an average rotation look great and win a WS with a great bullpen.

One of the biggest things that will help the pitching is stopping the musical chairs behind the plate. Kaufman and DeVinny are the two best catchers we have and the Poe and Webb experiments need to end.

In regards to the offense, Taylor and DeVinny showed yesterday that we have talent. I hope and think Goff is starting to pull back a little and allow the kids to play baseball. If so, they can do better than many think they can.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We really need that 3rd starter. I thought Duarte had the talent to do it, but he's struggling now it seems. He looked so good in his first start though so we know he has the skill, he just needs to put it together. I still like things early on. Way too early to decide about CGG though.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
We really need that 3rd starter. I thought Duarte had the talent to do it, but he's struggling now it seems. He looked so good in his first start though so we know he has the skill, he just needs to put it together. I still like things early on. Way too early to decide about CGG though.
Duarte settled down Sunday and gave us a good outing. Interested to see what Brock gives us today. He might emerge as a Sunday possibility.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I can not comment on the team since I have not seen them play. I can comment on Coach Goff's demeanor. I have seen several interviews/press conferences and he has been calm, patient and confident (even after Oral Roberts got the broom out). I think we have the right guy and we will be winning big sooner than later.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I've watched every game thus far (they've all been available on the internet). I think it has been a mixed bag thus far. As to be expected, there are still plenty of the same issues as we've experienced the past few years - 11 games will not correct all of that. Still can't get the timely hit, still have issues getting a key bunt down or lifting a sac fly. I do expect that will change in due time. There haven't been enough games to tell what kind of influence the new hitting coach is having. We need to play the best defensive catcher, whoever that is, as we're giving up free bases which are turning into runs.

We're still not playing smart baseball at times and that is when I've seen Coach Goff go off. I've seen him get on pitchers when they've given too much of the plate with 2 strikes. On more than one occasion I've seen him chew on a player for poor base running. We've been picked off, doubled off, and thrown behind for outs. Those type errors have cost us chances to win two, perhaps three, more games. I'm hoping that by making his displeasure known early and often, we won't continue to have those lapses when conference play begins. We know conference wins are going to be hard to come by.

There are plenty of games to be played and I'm cautiously optimistic we can have a good season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.