Link: ESPN layoffs will hit on air "talent"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I guess my question is that is it really on a "wing" to be strongly anti-discrimination and pro-equality within the public sphere? I think not. It is not left wing, it is neoliberalism (classical liberalism), and honestly more closely aligned with the Capital-F Founding Fathers' philosophical framework for our country than modern progressivism.

My point being: our country has went so far down the authoritarian right mindset that centrism is taken as "extreme left wing rhetoric."
Generally, the progressive movement needs the heavy hand of big government to realize their agenda. That does not align them with the Founders and small government origins of this country.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
It's the truth. This country has went so right wing authoritarian that the middle ground is called left wing extremism.
No, it's not, and you've got to be a full on Bernie Bro to think that. I'm in the weeds right now but I'll try to waste some time later and give you a response.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Generally, the progressive movement needs the heavy hand of big government to realize their agenda. That does not align them with the Founders and small government origins of this country.
Small government origins are a slaver's lie. The only people who wanted limited federal government were the slave states who had all the financial leverage in the war loan payoff phase of our country's beginnings. Many of the states wanted a more centralized government but the split of federal/state rights was a compromise to get all the state's war debts assumed by the federal government.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
No, it's not, and you've got to be a full on Bernie Bro to think that. I'm in the weeds right now but I'll try to waste some time later and give you a response.
I hope the only thing you're a professor over is an undergrad management course if you think that.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I guess my question is that is it really on a "wing" to be strongly anti-discrimination and pro-equality within the public sphere? I think not. It is not left wing, it is neoliberalism (classical liberalism), and honestly more closely aligned with the Capital-F Founding Fathers' philosophical framework for our country than modern progressivism.

My point being: our country has went so far down the authoritarian right mindset that centrism is taken as "extreme left wing rhetoric."
When "real sports" was on HBO -- it was fine. Because HBO wasn't a sports channel.

ESPN is......FOX Sports is.

If you want to change ESPN to Entertainment, Sports, Politics Network -- OK --

But, then can you please have just a Sports Only channel? That way -- people can talk about politics and it's place in sports on ESPN.....and I can watch games....and athletes being athletic, strategy being employed, etc. on the Sports Only channel.

But, I'm also a middle-aged, getting-old, right-wing, God loving, happily-married, loving-father, white guy......TV is no longer about what I think.....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is a joke right.

Same type of people laughing at college liberal safespaces are demanding their sports channel safespace.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is a joke right.

Same type of people laughing at college liberal safespaces are demanding their sports channel safespace.
You seriously don't get this, do you?

I go to Lowe's or Home Depot for tools, not clothing.

I turn to ESPN for sports, not politics.

It's not that complicated.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Small government origins are a slaver's lie. The only people who wanted limited federal government were the slave states who had all the financial leverage in the war loan payoff phase of our country's beginnings. Many of the states wanted a more centralized government but the split of federal/state rights was a compromise to get all the state's war debts assumed by the federal government.
https://earlyamericanists.com/2015/...new-england-states-rights-as-a-unique-entity/

In the early republic, New Englanders promoted their own brand of states’ rights, to protect a type of near-sovereignty they attributed to their legislatures, as the best way to promote their interests and shield individuals from distant oppression.

New Englanders’ states’ rights movement was a function of their concept of union, or empire before that, which in turn was informed by a mix of experience, tradition, and circumstance. New Englanders had gotten used to themselves as a group apart for at least the previous century. Geography and rival colonial powers saw to that, thanks to New Amsterdam and New France in the seventeenth century, as well as the general homogeneity of the region in ethnicity and religion of its colonists. Benjamin Franklin’s famous “Join or Die” illustration depicts New England (N.E.) as a single unit alongside other colonies depicted individually. The British Ministry can be said to have recognized New England as an entity, and the proverbial head of the revolutionary snake, when it looked to cut it off entirely at the Hudson River in 1777, rather than the parallel Connecticut River, which runs through the heart of New England.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
This is a joke right.

I don't think that's accurate. They are consumers looking for a specific type of product.
I'll grant you that the kernel of discontent is the same (I.E. annoyance at hearing things they don't want to hear) but one is based on purposefully excluding people from participating in life together (basically segregation) and the other is limiting factors and influences that could be considered perpendicular to the original goals of the network. I don't turn on the weather channel to get social commentary, I just want the local on the 8's. Likewise I watch ESPN for sports, not commentary.

But the age old adage applies. If you don't like it, don't watch. I never watch ESPN except for when a game is on. And ESPN is losing viewers. So the consumer will likely win out in the long term.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
We are supposed to have a small federal government with limited, enumerated powers per the Constitution. You wanting something else doesn't make it right or intellectually honest.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I hope the only thing you're a professor over is an undergrad management course if you think that.
I hope you are not a professor of anything.

I'm going to my "safe space", so I can earn a dollar or two.

Last year, I told a consulting client that I was going to add a 20% "wealth redistribution fee", to my normal charges, since they believe in that crap. They thought I was joking. For some odd reason, they didn't laugh. Couldn't understand why. If I was joking, why didn't they laugh? If they believe that crap, they should have been glad to pay me extra, since they run a company that grosses hundreds of millions a year.

Anyway.............we rapidly came to hate each other, and the project died. Hard to work for someone who thinks you are a kook if you "trust a cop over a liberal". Or thinks you are lying when you state that you have friends who are cops and friends who are liberals. Non sequitur!

OK.........we also had strong clashes over what was to be done, and how. They were rich, but clueless, at the same time, over some relatively minor details. Like why you don't take a simple concept, make it a complex one, and price the product out of its range of feasibility.

All of that means I have to work extra hard, this year. No more time wasted on hearing convoluted left-wing excuses why the world is the way it is.

So, do the rest of us a favor, and go to your safe space, ok, bub?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
ESPN does not speak "extreme left wing" agenda. They're in the business of selling us sport leagues created by groups of billionaires. They're neoliberals who love capitalism, anti-discrimination, and equality. Why? Because it validates capitalism as a system that is not systemically unfair. You can't blame the market so long as the power elite class looks like a college recruiting brochure with the right racial mix. It is conflating the wrong things to call this push from ESPN "left wing." Pushing anti-discrimination and equality are not really left wing at all, they can be co-opted by either side and considering ESPN's place in the world I think it is clear that it is being championed as a validation of capitalism. To that end, I don't even think the modern Democratic Party is "left wing" anymore. They only recognize systemic economic flaws insofar as it relates to gender or race. This is ultimately the reason I think the DNC lost the Midwest this election: white, struggling middle class workers didn't see the old union-friendly DNC speaking a truth they understand anymore.

Anyway, to my point in all this: the issue is that people want sports channels to be free of politics because you don't have an alternative. You don't like the politics of CNN, you can go to MSNBC or Fox News. You don't like the politics ESPN - albeit as centrist an inoffensive as they may be - what is your recourse? You've still got to give them your eyeballs when your favorite teams come on their network. My second point: if you have a problem with the stuff ESPN has dabbled in w/r/t politics, you need to look in the mirror. The stuff they champion are things that I think are central to the American identity...at least if this country intends to survive as an ethnically diverse nation.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I must watch the wrong ESPN. I watch a lot of football games on there and I have never heard anybody express a political opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I must watch the wrong ESPN. I watch a lot of football games on there and I have never heard anybody express a political opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I figured out that it must be in their studio show, to some eyes. I never noticed it, but then I don't really care for their studio shows either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.