Spring Practice Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Man, the way Coach's fingers were drumming on that podium, he could've given the late John Bonham a run for his money...

Obviously lots going on beneath the surface...
Watched Coach McElwain's presser from yesterday and he had a water bottle in his right hand and kept banging it down on the podium....consistently. All the while grinning and joking around. Makes you wonder....the pressure these guys have underneath.....

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
The QB's had a guy standing still catching the ball, and none of them could hit him in the chest. They were throwing all around him. To me not a good sign.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Tua actually looked the best of the three IN THAT PARTICULAR DRILL.

***Not saying he is the best...

The QB's had a guy standing still catching the ball, and none of them could hit him in the chest. They were throwing all around him. To me not a good sign.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Tua actually looked the best of the three IN THAT PARTICULAR DRILL.

***Not saying he is the best...

I will agree if you are talking about footwork. Jalen's throwing motion and trajectory looked more advanced, as expected. Tua's footwork looked impeccable, though.

*It's one video. Day 1. Not even a full tea leaf to read yet. :biggrin:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Saw the presser last night. Coach goes off on the reporter for making unfounded leaps of logic regarding offensive strategy. However, there's been enough "rumblings", even from our very own JESSN, that Saban wants to go back to a more ball control, run oriented offense. No offense to JESSN, but I'm sure if he heard the rumblings coming out of Tuscaloosa a lot of other reporters who have their ear to the ground did to. So honestly, it's not such an out of bounds question in my mind. But, I never mind someone from the media getting their tails chewed up and down the wall by Coach. They deserve it. So I'm good with it.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think people are missing something here. Moving to a more ball control type of offense doesn't mean eliminating the more spread/hurry up offense. We ran the ball like 3 times after Bo got hurt vs Clemson. Seems possible that moving towards more ball control could simply mean a more balanced approach.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
In the "I can't believe it" category I read that Cotton took the reps at RG yesterday. After how poorly that went last season, I have to admit it's pretty shocking to see him back inside instead of competing at OT.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Buzz,

From a media member's perspective: The reporters in the room don't mind in the least being chewed out by the coach. 1.) It makes great theater. That press conference story and video have already turned platinum on the al.com website. 2.) Generally, every CNS butt-chewing comes with a thoughtful and highly detailed answer. That's what most folks miss about him -- this board, the reporters in the room, everybody learns something from what he has to say.

And you're right, it was a legitimate question. Based on his response, it sounded as if the coach is more ticked off wondering who in the world will be showing up at practice with recruits.

Saw the presser last night. Coach goes off on the reporter for making unfounded leaps of logic regarding offensive strategy. However, there's been enough "rumblings", even from our very own JESSN, that Saban wants to go back to a more ball control, run oriented offense. No offense to JESSN, but I'm sure if he heard the rumblings coming out of Tuscaloosa a lot of other reporters who have their ear to the ground did to. So honestly, it's not such an out of bounds question in my mind. But, I never mind someone from the media getting their tails chewed up and down the wall by Coach. They deserve it. So I'm good with it.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
While there's been some talk out of Tuscaloosa, the majority of it has been based on a belief that Daboll is more along the lines of Mac and Nuss because of his limited background as a playcaller. It's probably more in the middle of where people expected the offense to go and where it was the last three years.

In the "I can't believe it" category I read that Cotton took the reps at RG yesterday. After how poorly that went last season, I have to admit it's pretty shocking to see him back inside instead of competing at OT.
As was I. Figure it has to be just an experiment to see how he does for a few days.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Man, that was an epic rant! For those who don't want to watch the whole video, the question that prompts the rant starts at the 6:42 mark, and the rant part kicks up right about 8:00. It's worth a few minutes.

Another funny thing is how CNS pivoted into a rant about the NCAA before swinging back to the reporter and asking him if he dreamed his sources. LOL

Coach hates assumptions, but he sure used that opportunity to go off. It seems like something he wanted to rant about.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Doomed, I tell you. Doomed.
From your response to my post, you either think we are doomed, or you think my post was rather garish. I only made an observation of what I saw on the video. These guys throw the football every day of the year. If they can't hit a guy on the numbers when he is standing still, what are they going to do when three defensive linemen are coming at them and the receivers are moving full speed?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
From your response to my post, you either think we are doomed, or you think my post was rather garish. I only made an observation of what I saw on the video. These guys throw the football every day of the year. If they can't hit a guy on the numbers when he is standing still, what are they going to do when three defensive linemen are coming at them and the receivers are moving full speed?
If last year is any indication I'd say Jalen repeats as SEC Offensive player of the year? I take your meaning. But perhaps the purpose of the drill was to gain comfort taking a snap from under center and completing a 5 step drop. Accuracy may not be the goal of the drill but instead comfort with footwork and repetition.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.