Spring Practice Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Coach goes off on the reporter for making unfounded leaps of logic regarding offensive strategy. However, there's been enough "rumblings", even from our very own JESSN, that Saban wants to go back to a more ball control, run oriented offense.
I think it is important to manage expectations though. The idea that Alabama is just going to ram the ball down the throats of the opponents might neither be possible nor what Saban actually is trying to do. Better clock management? Sure... but if people think this is going to be Mark Ingram against South Carolina all over again I imagine they'll be disappointed.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If last year is any indication I'd say Jalen repeats as SEC Offensive player of the year? I take your meaning. But perhaps the purpose of the drill was to gain comfort taking a snap from under center and completing a 5 step drop. Accuracy may not be the goal of the drill but instead comfort with footwork and repetition.
I think you are probably right. Don't know if I've ever seen a drill like that when our qbs weren't throwing to receivers running some type of route.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The QB's had a guy standing still catching the ball, and none of them could hit him in the chest. They were throwing all around him. To me not a good sign.
How many times have you ever seen a receiver just standing there...? Neither have our QBs.

I am not the least bit worried about it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
From your response to my post, you either think we are doomed, or you think my post was rather garish. I only made an observation of what I saw on the video. These guys throw the football every day of the year. If they can't hit a guy on the numbers when he is standing still, what are they going to do when three defensive linemen are coming at them and the receivers are moving full speed?
I want to point out few things... As long there is someone to catch the ball, it doesn't matter if it's high, low, away.. as long receiver can catch the ball whether they are standing there or running. I promise you, it was just first day of spring practice and we have a new OC who possibility was running a new drill that we may not notice in the first place. You're reading way too much into the practice video than it needs to be. Look at any practice video with another team and you probably will see the same thing.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I want to point out few things... As long there is someone to catch the ball, it doesn't matter if it's high, low, away.. as long receiver can catch the ball whether they are standing there or running. I promise you, it was just first day of spring practice and we have a new OC who possibility was running a new drill that we may not notice in the first place. You're reading way too much into the practice video than it needs to be. Look at any practice video with another team and you probably will see the same thing.
indeed....my goodness...lol....

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Man, that was an epic rant! For those who don't want to watch the whole video, the question that prompts the rant starts at the 6:42 mark, and the rant part kicks up right about 8:00. It's worth a few minutes.

Another funny thing is how CNS pivoted into a rant about the NCAA before swinging back to the reporter and asking him if he dreamed his sources. LOL

Coach hates assumptions, but he sure used that opportunity to go off. It seems like something he wanted to rant about.

This x 1000...

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I think it is important to manage expectations though. The idea that Alabama is just going to ram the ball down the throats of the opponents might neither be possible nor what Saban actually is trying to do. Better clock management? Sure... but if people think this is going to be Mark Ingram against South Carolina all over again I imagine they'll be disappointed.

Amen...

Against a stout D - and even a less-than-stout D - which is stacking the box, far easier said than done...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If you guys have not figured it out, Moro does not think Jalen is a very good QB. All of his comments related to him are fairly negative.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
If you guys have not figured it out, Moro does not think Jalen is a very good QB. All of his comments related to him are fairly negative.
On the contrary, I think Jalen has the potential to be an outstanding QB and he is one of my favorite players. But I think he will need improvements to be the next Joe Willie or Heisman winner or #1 draft pick which many of you think he already is.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
On the contrary, I think Jalen has the potential to be an outstanding QB and he is one of my favorite players. But I think he will need improvements to be the next Joe Willie or Heisman winner or #1 draft pick which many of you think he already is.
Where do you see anyone saying he's going to be the next Joe Willie or the #1 overall pick?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I know it's not the depth chart, but I'm a little surprised that Wilson isn't one of the first 4 lbs in the ILB drills. With SDH out I thought he'd be pegged to compete for the reps with the ones through spring

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We just lost the best pair of OLBs we've had in Saban's era. I definitely see why they're giving Davis a look at OLB because we've got a huge void to fill at Sam and Jack.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
We just lost the best pair of OLBs we've had in Saban's era. I definitely see why they're giving Davis a look at OLB because we've got a huge void to fill at Sam and Jack.
We are so deep at LB. We are just moving a bunch of 5* guys around to see how to get them playing time. Sick!

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Not only is Wilson not in the top 4 LBs running drills, he's dead last in the videos. When a guy drops that many spots in the pecking order, that's sometimes a sign that something is up from a discipline or team rules standpoint and they've got to re-earn their spot back toward the front. He's way more fluid going through those drills than several of the guys in front of him right now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.