Spring Practice Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc)

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Not only is Wilson not in the top 4 LBs running drills, he's dead last in the videos. When a guy drops that many spots in the pecking order, that's sometimes a sign that something is up from a discipline or team rules standpoint and they've got to re-earn their spot back toward the front. He's way more fluid going through those drills than several of the guys in front of him right now.
It's a long time till September so he's got the ability to work his way up. Dude's a missile with raw talent, we all saw it. I like your explanation. The only other one would be that the other guys in front of him show even more promise - which is just too good to believe. So your explanation sounds mot logical to an outsider like me.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Interesting to see Womack with the 1's at RT. I know it is early and things could change but his name has not been mentioned much when talking about the open RT spot.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Interesting to see Womack with the 1's at RT. I know it is early and things could change but his name has not been mentioned much when talking about the open RT spot.
I actually find the OL the hardest position to predict under Saban. Unless their is a Williams/CamRob type of player.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Agreed he has quietly went about playing in backup opportunities last year but I never really saw him struggle at least from what I can remember. When he was recruited I remember hearing people say he was extremely athletic for his size. Also this will only push others like Leatherwood, Lashley and Baker to fight harder for a spot.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Good for him !! You`re right, it`s early, but it`s good to shake things up like this right now, IMHO. It at least indicates that the staff sees enough in him to be giving him serious looks. Who`s running #1 at RG ?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
On the contrary, I think Jalen has the potential to be an outstanding QB and he is one of my favorite players. But I think he will need improvements to be the next Joe Willie or Heisman winner or #1 draft pick which many of you think he already is.
Where do you see anyone saying he's going to be the next Joe Willie or the #1 overall pick?
You heard it here first...RTR91 guarantees Jalen will win the Heisman!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Wonder if it`s possible to assume, even this early on, that the left side of the O line is pretty locked ( Jonah and Ross ) and most, if not all, of the serious experimentation will be on the right side?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Wonder if it`s possible to assume, even this early on, that the left side of the O line is pretty locked ( Jonah and Ross ) and most, if not all, of the serious experimentation will be on the right side?

Those two will start somewhere. I think the only real question will be if we want two new starters on the same side of the OL, and assuming Jonah is the best LT, will we move Ross over to RG to help out a new RT to make sure the communication is consistent and the RT always knows the calls. I think that's why we initially put a more experienced guy at RG last year to help Jonah along until it because pretty obvious Jonah had it down pat.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Those two will start somewhere. I think the only real question will be if we want two new starters on the same side of the OL, and assuming Jonah is the best LT, will we move Ross over to RG to help out a new RT to make sure the communication is consistent and the RT always knows the calls. I think that's why we initially put a more experienced guy at RG last year to help Jonah along until it because pretty obvious Jonah had it down pat.
Didn`t Ross start out at RG last year and it didn`t work out so great? I could be dead wrong in my recollection on that, though. I thought I remembered somebody who played on the left, switched to right, but then moved back to the left side and did better.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Bruh, it was the 2nd day of spring practice - I don't think anything is "pretty locked." Now it may end up being that way in September but this is the stage of experimentation.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Didn`t Ross start out at RG last year and it didn`t work out so great? I could be dead wrong in my recollection on that, though. I thought I remembered somebody who played on the left, switched to right, but then moved back to the left side and did better.
He did start the season in 2016 over there, but don't think the move back to LG had anything to do with him having issues at RG. I think it had more to do with Jonah not really needing the help they thought he would need with getting and understanding the calls.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
He did start the season in 2016 over there, but don't think the move back to LG had anything to do with him having issues at RG. I think it had more to do with Jonah not really needing the help they thought he would need with getting and understanding the calls.
Pierschbacher was at center last spring and fall camp, until the week before USC. Line moves won't mean much until Fla St game week.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Pierschbacher was at center last spring and fall camp, until the week before USC. Line moves won't mean much until Fla St game week.
Last season was a bit of anomaly with all the late moves. Ideally the staff with get the best option for each spotime soon so the guys can get max reps at their spot and build something chemistry with the guys next to them.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Last season was a bit of anomaly with all the late moves. Ideally the staff with get the best option for each spotime soon so the guys can get max reps at their spot and build something chemistry with the guys next to them.
And then after a couple of weeks, Piersbacher moved again from RG back to his original LG. I remember reading two things in separate articles around that time and I don't remember where: that Ross didn't grade out so well at RG and that Ross found the reverse footwork at RG somewhat troublesome. Both things may be untrue--or possibly one caused the other. Great LG, though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The moving parts in the off-season won't be a problem if you have the talent.

As for spring drills - Saban says that he wants to put the best 5 on the field at the same time. I have a hard time believing that Cotton is among your best 5, and I just don't see him starting in the fall.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The moving parts in the off-season won't be a problem if you have the talent.

As for spring drills - Saban says that he wants to put the best 5 on the field at the same time. I have a hard time believing that Cotton is among your best 5, and I just don't see him starting in the fall.
Yeah. From an off season workout standpoint and looking the part I get it with cotton, but it didn't pan out on the field at all with him as a guard. The whole 5 best thing doesn't always work because not every player can play all the spots. We got spoiled with Barrett Jones being able to move everywhere, but most guys can't do that so we really should be looking for the best combination of 5 guys instead of the 5 best guys. Cotton will either have to vastly improve or we better hope someone else grabs that spot.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Sounds like the O-line is very far from being settled. With our level of talent at those positions this just boggles my mind. I simply don't get it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.