Spring Practice Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc)

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like the O-line is very far from being settled. With our level of talent at those positions this just boggles my mind. I simply don't get it.
Why should it be settled during the first week of spring, especially given we have so much talent? The competition is great. The OL is going to be great this year. I would be shocked if the OL was settled before August.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Why should it be settled during the first week of spring, especially given we have so much talent? The competition is great. The OL is going to be great this year. I would be shocked if the OL was settled before August.
Wholly agree. I think we`ll be fine. Three of five we know, barring injury, will almost certainly start ( Jonah, Bradley and Ross ). Can`t make me believe that out of the talent the staff has brought to campus we won`t find an additional two guys that can play winning ball on the O line. I`d hazard a guess that you could count on one hand the number of top tier teams that have their O lines completely set for `17.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sounds like the O-line is very far from being settled. With our level of talent at those positions this just boggles my mind. I simply don't get it.
Maybe they're all playing so well that it's hard to figure out which are the better ones at their positions.
It's not necessarily a negative thing.
For example, we are beyond incredibly talented at running back. Way way beyond. So who's going to be the third stringer?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
IMO the OL is going to be a strength of the team this year. So I'm interested in who plays where but not at all concerned.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
IMO the OL is going to be a strength of the team this year. So I'm interested in who plays where but not at all concerned.
Hope you're right. Given the talent level already noted by others, I've thought the OL under-achieved for several years. Really, since the 2012 group spoiled us for all eternity.

I haven't felt anywhere near confident in short yardage or pass protection in obvious passing situations in a long time. With our recruiting, that shouldn't be the case.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Let's hope it is pre august soothe guys get reps as a unit. Wouldn't expect it to be settled now, just shocked cotton is getting reps at OG whereally he was far, far from good last season

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
The QB's had a guy standing still catching the ball, and none of them could hit him in the chest. They were throwing all around him. To me not a good sign.
I was at the NCCG in Tampa and it wasn't really Watson's ability to throw that did us in, it was his receivers ability to catch anything and everything thrown reasonably close to them - especially on the final drive - that was most damaging. While accuracy is always a good attribute to have, it isn't always the most important aspect of throwing and catching. Good receivers can make most any QB look good as long as they can get the ball 'in the neighborhood'. I expect we'll see better results from both our QB and WR's this season.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's going to be so much fun watching our O-Line as it develops into a cohesive & dominant force this coming season..With Boz having a year under C as a starter, then having Jonah(who could be one of the best O-Lineman ever at Bama before he leaves) back anchoring one side of the O-Line & hopefully Elliot Baker is as good as we hope he is anchoring the other side of the Line..

We have the pieces of the puzzle in place for this to be as good of an O-Line we've ever had & what should be scary to think about for the rest of college football our O-Line will be even better the next couple of year our young O-Linemen will be even better then..

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I was at the NCCG in Tampa and it wasn't really Watson's ability to throw that did us in, it was his receivers ability to catch anything and everything thrown reasonably close to them - especially on the final drive - that was most damaging. While accuracy is always a good attribute to have, it isn't always the most important aspect of throwing and catching. Good receivers can make most any QB look good as long as they can get the ball 'in the neighborhood'. I expect we'll see better results from both our QB and WR's this season.
Yup. I had the sinking feeling that we had been on the field for too many plays, gone three and out too many times...even when we took the lead with minutes to go I felt unsure. Elated, hopeful, exhausted but unsure. When they started making the catches they did on their final drive I thought, "Okay, Clemson wants this BAD." Those were some amazing receptions. Can't take that away from them.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I am not surprised to see Womack at RT expecially. I am surprised to see Cotton back at Guard but that may be the only place open for him so he better adjust. I think he certainly can, Last year was a good experience for him, he just needs to build on that.

As for Womack when we signed him it was thought he would be a feast or famine recruit. The kid was absolutely massive. Size after all does matter but the question was could all that mass be controlled. I started reading positive buzz about him last year and seeing him lined up at 2nd team left tackle was confirmation that he was doing very well.

I think it's a long time till fall and he will certainly face a furious battle for that job so if he beats them out you can rest assured that Womack can get the job done.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I am not surprised to see Womack at RT expecially. I am surprised to see Cotton back at Guard but that may be the only place open for him so he better adjust. I think he certainly can, Last year was a good experience for him, he just needs to build on that.

As for Womack when we signed him it was thought he would be a feast or famine recruit. The kid was absolutely massive. Size after all does matter but the question was could all that mass be controlled. I started reading positive buzz about him last year and seeing him lined up at 2nd team left tackle was confirmation that he was doing very well.

I think it's a long time till fall and he will certainly face a furious battle for that job so if he beats them out you can rest assured that Womack can get the job done.
I think somehow we`ll be able to struggle ( blue font ) through at RT.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I doubt we get any meaningful information until after the April 8th Scrimmage. The depth chart is going to be harder to predict than normal because of the large number and quality of early entrants. We have never had a freshman group like this for spring. Many of them are likely getting closer to the 1's with every rep. I'm concerned about having Diggs at DB. This guy was in the playing rotation last season at WR, it's actually to his benefit if he did switch to DB because their are way more jobs available in the NFL for DB than for WR. But I'm concerned that we might be taking a productive player in 2016 and making him a non productive player in 2017, but at the same time with our whiffing on Corner recruits last cycle It might be a life or death move for the 2018 squad to have another corner. Decisions Decisions....

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
I doubt we get any meaningful information until after the April 8th Scrimmage. The depth chart is going to be harder to predict than normal because of the large number and quality of early entrants. We have never had a freshman group like this for spring. Many of them are likely getting closer to the 1's with every rep. I'm concerned about having Diggs at DB. This guy was in the playing rotation last season at WR, it's actually to his benefit if he did switch to DB because their are way more jobs available in the NFL for DB than for WR. But I'm concerned that we might be taking a productive player in 2016 and making him a non productive player in 2017, but at the same time with our whiffing on Corner recruits last cycle It might be a life or death move for the 2018 squad to have another corner. Decisions Decisions....
Even better than 2008 freshman class?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i get the feeling that diggs will be a productive player wherever he winds up

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
You could look at it as a vote of confidence in Jerry Jeudy or the receiving unit as a whole. Perhaps they felt they could move Diggs to CB because there wasn't as much need at WR. TBH I thought we'd see him flipped back to DB last season after Eddie Jackson went down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.